Original "Metal Gear" for the MSX is getting an unofficial fan port to the Sega Genesis / Mega Drive

Metal-Gear-box.png

The original MSX titles that started the whole Metal Gear franchise have generally been side-lined from the mainstream Metal Gear games, with most gamers usually jumping straight into "Metal Gear Solid" for the PlayStation instead.

While the original titles have seen its fair share of re-releases throughout the years, with both MSX titles being re-released for Virtual Console on Wii, and included in MGS3 Subsistence, as well as the HD Edition pack. However, the most popular release of the original Metal Gear is the port released for the NES back in 1987, although this version had its fair share of compromises when compared to the original MSX release, still leaving the original MSX as the proper definitive version to experience this entry in the Metal Gear franchise (and the same can be said for its sequel, "Metal Gear: Solid Snake").

Since its original release, there hasn't been a faithful port (only re-releases) of any sort to other consoles based on the original other than the NES one, which as mentioned, sacrificed a lot from the original and wasn't being worked on directly by Kojima himself.

This is where the homebrew community jumped in.

Twitter user, coder and game developer, h0ffman, has announced and showcased an on-going work of a port of the original "Metal Gear" MSX title into the Sega Genesis / Mega Drive. The port showcased by h0ffman on Twitter is still in beta stages, but from what can be seen, it's already in a playable state, and could feature a lot of options for the user to play with based on the different releases of the title, like different game modes (English Remix) and Audio options based on different systems, as hinted by the "Amiga Enhanced" option in the menu.

Those interested can follow h0ffman's work on Twitter to check the on-going development of this port.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Everything is very nice but why do they make these ports of non-existing consoles?

To me it's quite outstanding, since it would basically mean having only one ROM for a very well known system.
At least to me, I find it finicky to handle 80s/70s computer ROMs when it comes to gaming, so having more modern ports to known systems is a good option for me.

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
Trophies
Country
United States
Reminds me of the time where some ported the MSX version of the first Gradius to the Master System and it sounded almost perfectly like the MSX version. I wish I can play it too cause Gradius is one of my most favorite games.

This is very impressive! I hope people keep on making stuff like this.

Reactions: eternal

Jokey_Carrot

G̶B̶A̶T̶e̶m̶p̶ ̶A̶d̶d̶i̶c̶t̶ Heroin Addict.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The Sega Master System shares the same CPU and Sound Chip as the MSX, and it's VDP is backwards compatible with the one used by the MSX. So there have been ports of MSX games to the Master System by changing the addresses to fit the Master System memory map. The Megadrive obviously has a Master system on-board, so it'd be interesting to see how much of that hardware is utilised by this port.

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
Trophies
Country
United States
The Sega Master System shares the same CPU and Sound Chip as the MSX, and it's VDP is backwards compatible with the one used by the MSX. So there have been ports of MSX games to the Master System by changing the addresses to fit the Master System memory map. The Megadrive obviously has a Master system on-board, so it'd be interesting to see how much of that hardware is utilised by this port.

I would love to see this taken into action! ;)

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Missed opportunity Konami didn't do it themselves way back for the Genesis/SNES.

PS3's MGS Legacy Collection is definitely the best way to play "all" of the MGS games (except Twin Snakes, it seems Konami doesn't approve of that one, oh and the GBC one).

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Missed opportunity Konami didn't do it themselves way back for the Genesis/SNES.

PS3's MGS Legacy Collection is definitely the best way to play "all" of the MGS games (except Twin Snakes, it seems Konami doesn't approve of that one, oh and the GBC one).
I believe that Twin Snakes was a specific version for that console, like some of those Capcom efforts that went nowhere.
And also the overrated Kojima didn't even work on it.
Or something. I don't really like Kojigames.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

PhyChris

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It is running on the genesis 68K There is no 'master system' mode when using it. :)

Last edited by PhyChris,

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its a shame kojima got booted by Konami, these are the last two titles that need doing to bring the entire MG storyline full circle.

Ohh well, I guess we will have to stick with MGS 3Delta (strange why they chose Delta).... anyway, more like use kojimas past work as a training manual for Konami's new team to learn how to make an actual good MG game.

Maybe its the 3DS version they're using as a training manual with its terrible pixilated and tank controls?

But hey ho, its a sad shame that once training has ended, we will see no more MG games or end up with shit like Survive again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto