PSP-1000 wont turn on. Power LED flashes for a split second.

ThaKarra

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hi all,

I brought a PSP-1000 super cheap from Japan. The shell is totally damaged and the UMD door is hanging off due to a chip on the bottom (it looks like the PSP was dropped).

My plan was to buy it super cheap and restore it with a new shell and IPS display.

However it doesn't appear to turn on. I was wondering if someone could please help me diagnose the issue. Keeping in mind I know nothing about the PSPs history.

- When I plug it in with a charger and try to turn it on, the green power LED will flick on for a split second and then nothing.

- If I put a known working battery in the PSP (that has charge) and try to turn it on, I get nothing.

- If I put a known working battery in the PSP and plug it in, the orange LED will light up. If I try to power it on, nothing.

I read online that I should maybe try holding the HOME button while powering it on? Tried that and still nothing. -- Others have also suggested taking out the memory card and then trying to power it on, but this PSP never had a memory card in it when I received it.

Before I go taking this thing apart, does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing or know what I should be looking for?

Regards!

• Sad
Reactions: AncientBoi

AncientBoi

THEE GAY WARLORD™ - Defender of GAY Rights
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

ThaKarra

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
hmmm :unsure: Have you guys tried the Pandora Battery trick? :mellow:
I'm 99.9% sure my issue is nothing to do with Pandora Battery. I've seen videos of people having Pandora Battery brick issues and their symptoms are different to mine. I can tell from just look at the PSP that it's obviously been dropped, so I assume its damaged internally.

Reactions: rantex92

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm 99.9% sure my issue is nothing to do with Pandora Battery. I've seen videos of people having Pandora Battery brick issues and their symptoms are different to mine. I can tell from just look at the PSP that it's obviously been dropped, so I assume its damaged internally.
I'd say there is that 0.1% chance that won't break your bank account to at least being worth the try.
You'll see if the battery itself is the problem, and you get to repair any software failure.
You'd have to crash it real hard for any other problems.

Pros:
  • Low costs.
  • Software repairable.
  • Battery check.
  • At least you made progress.
Cons:
  • Costs still a few cents and maybe a minute.
  • It might kill the dream of there being a magic trick without doing a thing.

ThaKarra

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'd say there is that 0.1% chance that won't break your bank account to at least being worth the try.
You'll see if the battery itself is the problem, and you get to repair any software failure.
You'd have to crash it real hard for any other problems.

Pros:
  • Low costs.
  • Software repairable.
  • Battery check.
  • At least you made progress.
Cons:
  • Costs still a few cents and maybe a minute.
  • It might kill the dream of there being a magic trick without doing a thing.
I'm not sure I understand what you're suggesting.

I know it's not a battery issue because I have 3 PSP batteries and they all work/charge in my other working PSPs.

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm not sure I understand what you're suggesting.

I know it's not a battery issue because I have 3 PSP batteries and they all work/charge in my other working PSPs.
I'm sure that not trying a given a possible sollution and an educative solution will stop anyone from reaching out to help.
The pandora battery makes it possible to downgrde your PSP software and doing so it killspossible software bugs like hard reset while busy writing.
Yes there are problems that could be , but to my knowledge none are caused by scratches or droppings except for the display might be killed.
There are some persons known to soldered a track from the mainboard.
It just seems that this isn't fitting your discription.

ThaKarra

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'm sure that not trying a given a possible sollution and an educative solution will stop anyone from reaching out to help.
The pandora battery makes it possible to downgrde your PSP software and doing so it killspossible software bugs like hard reset while busy writing.
Yes there are problems that could be , but to my knowledge none are caused by scratches or droppings except for the display might be killed.
There are some persons known to soldered a track from the mainboard.
It just seems that this isn't fitting your discription.
Well I did come across a video on YouTube about 30 minutes ago with someone showing their PSP having the exact same symptoms as mine. As I was reading through he comments a lot of people were pointing out that they solved the issue by replacing the fuse on the back of the main board.

(this is the video I'm talking about)

If the PSP I currently have was indeed dropped then it could have most definitely blown the fuse or at the very least knocked it loose/off the board.

I'm not convinced the PSP is bricked by a Pandora Battery attempt because I've been doing research since making this post and like I mentioned above, the symptoms are completely different.

Tomorrow I'm going to take the PSP apart and use a multimeter to do some tests/fault finding across the board. I have another working identical PSP-1000 so I can use them to compare against each other.

If the fuse reports back as fine, then I will maybe explore the possibility that the PSP is bricked from a Pandora Battery. But right now my priority is checking the fuse.

You also have to remember that I don't know the history of this PSP as I received it from the Japan market. I don't have the original battery that the owner had nor do I have the memory card that the owner had.

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well I did come across a video on YouTube about 30 minutes ago with someone showing their PSP having the exact same symptoms as mine. As I was reading through he comments a lot of people were pointing out that they solved the issue by replacing the fuse on the back of the main board.

(this is the video I'm talking about)

If the PSP I currently have was indeed dropped then it could have most definitely blown the fuse or at the very least knocked it loose/off the board.

I'm not convinced the PSP is bricked by a Pandora Battery attempt because I've been doing research since making this post and like I mentioned above, the symptoms are completely different.

Tomorrow I'm going to take the PSP apart and use a multimeter to do some tests/fault finding across the board. I have another working identical PSP-1000 so I can use them to compare against each other.

If the fuse reports back as fine, then I will maybe explore the possibility that the PSP is bricked from a Pandora Battery. But right now my priority is checking the fuse.

You also have to remember that I don't know the history of this PSP as I received it from the Japan market. I don't have the original battery that the owner had nor do I have the memory card that the owner had.

I never said it bricked cause of anything a pandora battery does, pandora battery makes overwriting protected sectors possible.
You tried any battery, and so you did eliminate the battery as source of your problem, still doesn't show much progress in what It could be but yes it could be a blown fuse.
Why do you ask for support if you don't want support?
You only seem to wanna hear you're right
If so: try the f*cking fuse, it's also not much in price.
We're here trying to help but a negative response without much base other than i don't think it's so means we're not gonna help you with anything coming next either.

ThaKarra

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I never said it bricked cause of anything a pandora battery does, pandora battery makes overwriting protected sectors possible.
You tried any battery, and so you did eliminate the battery as source of your problem, still doesn't show much progress in what It could be but yes it could be a blown fuse.
Why do you ask for support if you don't want support?
You only seem to wanna hear you're right
If so: try the f*cking fuse, it's also not much in price.
We're here trying to help but a negative response without much base other than i don't think it's so means we're not gonna help you with anything coming next either.
Jesus christ :blink: Calm down dude.

• Sad

rantex92

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yes tried those and even tried a jig kick battery
sometimes in a blue moon my psp will start without a battery only with power from the wall
but then after 2-5 seconds it will just shut down and tthe charging light goes black
ike the op´s one mine also has very bad fall damage

Jesus christ :blink: Calm down dude.
i think the guy didnt meant that the pandora battery was the culprit i think he ment u should try to unbrick with it

my personal hunch is that both of our psp gotten dropped right on the lower right side where the bareljack plug goes in
in that area is a little chip wich controlls the charging of the psp that chip got broken

could u check this with youre multimeter?

ThaKarra

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
i think the guy didnt meant that the pandora battery was the culprit i think he ment u should try to unbrick with it
Yeah probably, still doesn't excuse his rude outburst on me.

my personal hunch is that both of our psp gotten dropped right on the lower right side where the bareljack plug goes in
in that area is a little chip wich controlls the charging of the psp that chip got broken
This could definitely be one of the reasons! However if the little chip that controls the charging is damaged.. Wouldn't it still power on if you were to insert a fully charged battery?

rantex92

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yeah probably, still doesn't excuse his rude outburst on me.

This could definitely be one of the reasons! However if the little chip that controls the charging is damaged.. Wouldn't it still power on if you were to insert a fully charged battery?
i cant find any good diagramms to 100% proof my point

but in short terms nope the psp wouldnt detect any battery/or power input at this point sometimes u could get some lifesigns depending on how broken the chip is and wich trace maybe damaged

another thing which points me to the little chip is that even with power from the wall and no battery the psp wouldnt start or in my case when it boots it just shut down after 2-5 secounds in the menu

Reactions: ThaKarra

ThaKarra

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
i cant find any good diagramms to 100% proof my point

but in short terms nope the psp wouldnt detect any battery/or power input at this point sometimes u could get some lifesigns depending on how broken the chip is and wich trace maybe damaged

another thing which points me to the little chip is that even with power from the wall and no battery the psp wouldnt start or in my case when it boots it just shut down after 2-5 secounds in the menu
Very interesting!

I'm just waiting on a new shell and IPS screen to arrive in the mail. When it comes within the next few days I'l take it apart and take some readings on both the charge chip and fuse. I'll report back when I have more information. Thank you for the feedback/tips :)

rantex92

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Very interesting!

I'm just waiting on a new shell and IPS screen to arrive in the mail. When it comes within the next few days I'l take it apart and take some readings on both the charge chip and fuse. I'll report back when I have more information. Thank you for the feedback/tips :)
that would be great since i dont have acces to my psp and my tools any time soon

it could also just a simple fix if its just a broken solder point the chip should be right next to the fuse if i remember correctly

im looking forward to hear from you

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Dude, he meant to reflash the firmware on the PSP using the pandora battery. It seems like the firmware is corrupted. This happened to me once while playing a game, the PSP just bricked itself. Before the Pandora battery you could get a modchip/nand and had to solder it into the PSP to reflash the firmware, now you can recover and reflash the the firmware quite easily.

rantex92

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Dude, he meant to reflash the firmware on the PSP using the pandora battery. It seems like the firmware is corrupted. This happened to me once while playing a game, the PSP just bricked itself. Before the Pandora battery you could get a modchip/nand and had to solder it into the PSP to reflash the firmware, now you can recover and reflash the the firmware quite easily.
so then y? is my psp still dead ive tried pandora battery and also a jig kick

with pandora battery it wont go in the recover menu it will flash the backlight and the screen stays black after that its shuts off
(not my first rodeo with pandora used them back in the day to mod others psp at school)

with jig kick the psp boots sucessfully into the menu you can also navigate through it if youre fast enough
but also it will shut down shortly

ThaKarra

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I totally understand this now..

But the point I'm trying to make is that I can physically see from looking at the shell that the PSP has clearly been dropped on the floor. The evidence points more towards it being a hardware related issue than a software issue. I'm not ruling out the whole Pandora thing, but I think it's more sensible to first investigate the mainboard and make sure nothing is internally damaged. The PSP is super beat up, it looks like someone ran it over with a car. Once I've investigated the mainboard, and can't find any faults then I will for sure start exploring software related issues.

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I totally understand this now..

But the point I'm trying to make is that I can physically see from looking at the shell that the PSP has clearly been dropped on the floor. The evidence points more towards it being a hardware related issue than a software issue. I'm not ruling out the whole Pandora thing, but I think it's more sensible to first investigate the mainboard and make sure nothing is internally damaged. The PSP is super beat up, it looks like someone ran it over with a car. Once I've investigated the mainboard, and can't find any faults then I will for sure start exploring software related issues.
You can check a fuse quite easy, should be around 0.2Ω if broken it should give obouve 10Ω.
It shouldn't be hard to open the case (thought it was a mini triwing screwdriver you'd need).
A brandless solderiron with a semi-sharp tip and it should heat up depending on your solder wire a little (about 15 to 25 degrees) above liquidus Temperature:
1696439759045.jpeg

the Fuse should be equal to: https://www.infinitydream.com/0603-smd-fuse-1a-p-356.html?language=en

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto