Hardware PSP struggles to turn on?

mugichan990

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, i've been working on a PSP 1001 that i got off ebay in the hopes that i could fix it but so far no luck.

As seen in this video :

The psp struggles to power on but then it reaches the point that it does turn ON and i can play games without any issues. But if i ever turn Off the PSP it goes back to square one and i have to keep trying until it finally turns ON again. I've tried replacing the power switch board, power connector and still have the same issue. Also I'm not using a battery just Official PSP charger, i've tested this PSP charger with my other 2 PSPs and it works perfectly. Do you guys know what might be causing this? Thanks in advance.

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hello, i've been working on a PSP 1001 that i got off ebay in the hopes that i could fix it but so far no luck.

As seen in this video :

The psp struggles to power on but then it reaches the point that it does turn ON and i can play games without any issues. But if i ever turn Off the PSP it goes back to square one and i have to keep trying until it finally turns ON again. I've tried replacing the power switch board, power connector and still have the same issue. Also I'm not using a battery just Official PSP charger, i've tested this PSP charger with my other 2 PSPs and it works perfectly. Do you guys know what might be causing this? Thanks in advance.

Use a battery, the charger isn't meant to run full boot.
it needs to charge and ceep charged all caps, for the design of the device isn't bult with this in mind charger is only good for charging, battery with at least 15% charge is a need for stable boot, active it might drain more than it charges.

mugichan990

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use a battery, the charger isn't meant to run full boot.
it needs to charge and ceep charged all caps, for the design of the device isn't bult with this in mind charger is only good for charging, battery with at least 15% charge is a need for stable boot, active it might drain more than it charges.
Wow! I actually didn't know that, i feel stupid now lol I just ordered a battery and when it arrives i'll update this post. Thanks @JaapDaniels

Reactions: AncientBoi

AncientBoi

THEE GAY WARLORD™ - Defender of GAY Rights
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@JaapDaniels I would like to report that the PSP is now working, i feel so dumb lol I disassembled this console at least 7 times thinking it was an issue with the motherboard...well you live and learn. Thank you again!

Don't keep me suspense, What was the problem? lol

Reactions: mugichan990

elk1007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@JaapDaniels I would like to report that the PSP is now working, i feel so dumb lol I disassembled this console at least 7 times thinking it was an issue with the motherboard...well you live and learn. Thank you again!
Galaxy Note 3 does this too. No battery, no boot.
Don't feel dumb; it's not common knowledge, just poor design.

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Wow! I didn't expected this much replies!
Nowadays systems don't have the flaws of the past, but it's fairly common on the older systems to be underpowered with just the charger.
Power Supply Unit is not the samething as a charger.
Check for handhelds the battery specs and connect a DC PSU matching as close as possible and connect it to where the battery is for if it boots normal.
For charging, connect the charger and measure the connection of the battery to be a little more in volts than the battery itself is.
The current just provide the charging speed, and safety... if the battery gets lower current supplied by the charger than the battery supplies it to the console it is less likely to blow up or leak.
If volts are too low it's not charging but draining.
PSP has batteries that can't handle heat, so Sony got a under performing charger for safety.

Last edited by JaapDaniels,

mugichan990

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow! I didn't expected this much replies!
Nowadays systems don't have the flaws of the past, but it's fairly common on the older systems to be underpowered with just the charger.
Power Supply Unit is not the samething as a charger.
Check for handhelds the battery specs and connect a DC PSU matching as close as possible and connect it to where the battery is for if it boots normal.
For charging, connect the charger and measure the connection of the battery to be a little more in volts than the battery itself is.
The current just provide the charging speed, and safety... if the battery gets lower current supplied by the charger than the battery supplies it to the console it is less likely to blow up or leak.
If volts are too low it's not charging but draining.
PSP has batteries that can't handle heat, so Sony got a under performing charger for safety.
Thanks a lot for the info :bow:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1