StreetPass 2: Rise from the Ashes

This is a work in progress

If you were disheartened to hear of the demise of HomePass, then know that there is an alternative now. It is not elegant by any means, but you can share your StreetPass file; that is, every StreetPass you've accumulated but haven't used are stored in a single file. Copy that file and you can keep using the same SPs over and over or use someone else's collection. Instructions, links, and other info are HERE.

To summarize what's in that Google Sheet, your CECD is the file that contains your unused SPs. It is located at `ctrnand/data/ID0/sysdata/00010026/00000000`. I posted some information in my other guide (ctrl-F for "streetpass") and on GBATemp.

The instructions for using a downloaded CECD are pretty simple:

1. Open GodMode9.
1. Copy the desired CECD over your existing one (rename to 00000000 if it isn't already).
1. Immediately select the file and opt to "Calculate CMAC". Fix the file if it asks.
1. Boot up and use the SPs as you desire.

Feel free to add your own info (in keeping with the existing format). Region shouldn't matter, but there's a column in the sheet for including the source console's region anyway. If you're looking for a particular game's SP, just sort by that game and select the CECD files that contain at least one SP.

The more people we get to contribute their files, then the more useful this post will be to everyone. All you have to do to help is upload your CECD and type into the sheet what unused StreetPasses you have and how many transmissions you got. Thanks!

This was also posted over in 3dshacks. If you comment, I check that more regularly.

Credits:

u/bungiefan_AK - For motivating me to create this template and for aiding in its upkeep.

Tane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YES! Awesome job Cecil. Will update my original Spreadsheet with the info!

EDIT: removed the HomePass domain, as I didn't renew it.

Last edited by Tane,
Reactions: Cecil_FF4

HelpTheWretched

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Quick question, using the StreetPass Mii Plaza. If you've welcomed the miis into your Plaza, but not played any games with them, then you cannot export them with your CECD, correct? You have to do this before welcoming them into your Plaza, when they're still in your Notifications?

FWIW, I've been using JK's Save Manager to reuse miis. After welcoming them into the Plaza, I'd make backups of of everything related to the Plaza, and after making progress in the games, make another backup of the Extra Data. Copy the individual games' save files back into the original saves (to retain your progress) and then reload the original saves.

I wrote a tutorial about that a while back, but then I realised that this method will roll back your Plaza's progress as well; new tickets, birthdays, outfits will be lost and might be permanently gone. So I've been experimenting with hex editing the Plaza's saves to work out a better way. In the meantime, I've figured out that if you restore just the System Save, that will return the current batch of miis to their "unused" states. (Same problem with losing tickets etc., though.)

Reactions: Tsuunho_san

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Quick question, using the StreetPass Mii Plaza. If you've welcomed the miis into your Plaza, but not played any games with them, then you cannot export them with your CECD, correct? You have to do this before welcoming them into your Plaza, when they're still in your Notifications?
Yes: if the green (hardware or the virtual one next to the app icon) LED is on, you have Streetpasses into the app's inbox (which is part of the CECD driver's save); when that app is opened (and some arbitrary operation is done) the app is supposed to free up the inbox and process the data as it sees fit

Cecil_FF4

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can use the dev app CecBoxTool to split the streetpass database into individual app's boxes, too!

I'm definitely looking into this. Typically I've just been extracting the boxes using 3ds-save-tool (because the CECD is a generic DISA filesystem format), but I've had no way to recombine them. I would just find the file I want to change by searching for its hex in the original CECD then manually make changes. Perhaps this tool will help me make the adjustments I need to to help people share their outboxes and make a more robust sharing app. Thanks for the info! Are you a coder, by chance?

Cecil_FF4

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can use the dev app CecBoxTool...

Based on this suggestion, there is now some progress being made on creating an app to export/import boxes to/from a centralized database instead of manually messing with CECD files. No promises, but I think everyone would appreciate a simple SP sharing app that will work indefinitely beyond EOL, including myself.

HelpTheWretched

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Based on this suggestion, there is now some progress being made on creating an app to export/import boxes to/from a centralized database instead of manually messing with CECD files. No promises, but I think everyone would appreciate a simple SP sharing app that will work indefinitely beyond EOL, including myself.
As a StreetPass fan, I'm glad to hear this. I wish I could help somehow but I only do conceptual coding and low-level development.

Anyway, I added a Mii Plaza tag from myself to the spreadsheet. Believe it or not, I 100%ed most of the games before ever having save-editing capabilities. Lately I've been making unique concoctions in Flower Town such as gigantic flowers. Hope you enjoy. ^_^

[edit]
By the way, there's someone at GameFAQs who's asking about spoofing the Nintendo World Store's relay point, which could be the last bastion for HomePass. I'm not able to help with that but some people here might want to check it out.
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/625899-streetpass-mii-plaza/77300390

Last edited by HelpTheWretched,
Reactions: andyhappypants

HelpTheWretched

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Another question: If I copy my CECD to the other 3DS that I StreetPassed with, so it essentially gets a tag from itself, can this cause any errors or other known problems?

JRave

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is a question. Would it be possible to insert someone else's streetpass data into a second 3ds and use it to streetpass the main 3ds?

3DS #1 = Main primary 3ds I use
3DS #2 = Donor 3DS that will have streetpass data injected.

What I mean is taking say Cecil's streetpass data and inserting it into 3DS #2. Afterwards I streetpass between #1 and #2, would #1 get Cecil's streetpass data from #2?

I'm just wondering if it might be possible to turn a 3DS itself into a mini relay using something to inject data into it and pass another device. Of course, it will depend on if the 8 hour rule can be bypassed to allow something like this.

Its a shame that there was seemingly never any attempts to reverse engineer the Streetpass Relay traffic back when it was still working. Creating our own server(s) would have been awesome.

Cecil_FF4

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is a question. Would it be possible to insert someone else's streetpass data into a second 3ds and use it to streetpass the main 3ds?

3DS #1 = Main primary 3ds I use
3DS #2 = Donor 3DS that will have streetpass data injected.

What I mean is taking say Cecil's streetpass data and inserting it into 3DS #2. Afterwards I streetpass between #1 and #2, would #1 get Cecil's streetpass data from #2?

I'm just wondering if it might be possible to turn a 3DS itself into a mini relay using something to inject data into it and pass another device. Of course, it will depend on if the 8 hour rule can be bypassed to allow something like this.

Its a shame that there was seemingly never any attempts to reverse engineer the Streetpass Relay traffic back when it was still working. Creating our own server(s) would have been awesome.

Yeah, you can use the SP data in the way you described as long as the outboxes have been set up in the CECD you are using. For instance, if my CECD has "Mario 3D Land" set up, then any console that passes the console that has this CECD injected will get streetpass data for that game.

You can inject a CECD then go to the Streetpass management screen to see what games have been set up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over