Homebrew Snes9x RX - A new fork.

Which one is the typography you think should be the main one from now on? (Images on page 22)

• Earthworm Jim 2

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Kirby Super Star

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Super Bomberman 2

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Earthworm Jim

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador

niuus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
A pull request for Mouse support in port 2 is now up! https://github.com/niuus/Snes9xRX/pull/61

Big thanks to @niuus for the extensive testing of the feature before going live. I also have a PR for the Mouse updates as well as the menu navigation improvements pending on the GX upstream right now.
Checking it right now! The expectations while testing were fun. :lol:

I'll leave a list of the new things to have into account while using this feature, for the newcomers.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Who said anything about a mouse for the Wii??? :wacko:
A pull request for Mouse support in port 2 is now up! https://github.com/niuus/Snes9xRX/pull/61

Big thanks to @niuus for the extensive testing of the feature before going live. I also have a PR for the Mouse updates as well as the menu navigation improvements pending on the GX upstream right now.
Edit: Apparently is support for mouse on the few Super Nintendo games that used a mouse?

niuus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
All right, gamers. So here is the deal with the new Mouse port feature, thanks to @InfiniteBlue: as I found out back in May, most SNES Mouse games support the peripheral on controller Port 1, and many others support connection to each indifferently. The Snes9x preset accounted to a SNES Mouse on the virtual Port 1, plus a SNES Gamepad on the virtual Port 2.

Now, there were games whose developers chose not to use the commonly used setup. Those games were, on the Wii's Super Nintendo emulators, previously unplayable with said emulated peripheral.

This time, you have the option of an additional preset to emulate the SNES Mouse on the virtual Port 2, and a SNES Gamepad on the virtual Port 1. This new arrangement allows you to play the following titles with the peripheral activated:

• Jurassic Park (USA)
  • Super 3D Noah's Ark (USA)
  • Wolfenstein 3-D (USA)

Some romhacks were born later with the same requirement, and we also have:
  • Shadowrun (SNES Gamepad is mandatory, along with the SNES Mouse)
  • Star Fox (SNES Gamepad is optional, along with the SNES Mouse)

Last but not least, now you have a novelty feature for gameplay: Dual mouse. The few games that supported this, were:
  • Operation Thunderbolt (USA) [this one has emulation problems in Snes9x, so the cursors only work while on the main menu when using the SNES Mouse]
  • Revolution X (USA)
  • Shanghai III (Japan)
  • T2 - The Arcade Game (USA)

Last edited by niuus,

InfiniteBlue

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm planning to take a stab at fixing the Cheats menu in Snes9xGX (and the RX/TX forks by extension). I tried making a .CHT file with the current Snes9x on PC and brought it over to the latest GX, and the cheats menu seemed to be entirely unusable. It looks like it's reading the file in incorrectly.

I have no experience working with cheats before, can anyone else vouch that this feature is broken or is it just me doing something wrong?

Also, if anyone has a cheat file that they can confirm is working on a specific build of GX/RX/TX, please share it in here, as it would be invaluable for debugging what's happening in the code.

Edit: Got a new PR up (not cheats-related) that fixes various issues: https://github.com/niuus/Snes9xRX/pull/62
If anyone has been annoyed over the last 2.5 years with the main menu game selection "jump" 30-40 games up in the list when you boot the app with a Classic Controller or Pro Controller, I have good news for you :yaywii:

Last edited by InfiniteBlue,

niuus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I'm planning to take a stab at fixing the Cheats menu in Snes9xGX (and the RX/TX forks by extension). I tried making a .CHT file with the current Snes9x on PC and brought it over to the latest GX, and the cheats menu seemed to be entirely unusable. It looks like it's reading the file in incorrectly.

I have no experience working with cheats before, can anyone else vouch that this feature is broken or is it just me doing something wrong?

Also, if anyone has a cheat file that they can confirm is working on a specific build of GX/RX/TX, please share it in here, as it would be invaluable for debugging what's happening in the code.

Edit: Got a new PR up (not cheats-related) that fixes various issues: https://github.com/niuus/Snes9xRX/pull/62
If anyone has been annoyed over the last 2.5 years with the main menu game selection "jump" 30-40 games up in the list when you boot the app with a Classic Controller or Pro Controller, I have good news for you :yaywii:
Glad you've been taking stabs at the full bug list I sent you on the convo, you're on fire. B-)

BTW, I sent you the files that we've talked about, and also some cheats.

I'll be checking the Github in some hours.

InfiniteBlue

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so I figured out what was going on with Cheats - It's kind of a mess lol.

First off, the person reporting that bug on GX's github was completely wrong, it has nothing to do with equals signs or quotes in the cheats.

Around Snes9x 1.56, they implemented a new form of human readable .cht file called BML (no clue what that stands for). GX/RX/TX had never been updated to handle this new style of .cht file. If you did try to feed one into GX like I was doing (and the bug submitter), the cheats were completely unusable. You have to use the old, non-human readable .cht files in order for GX to read them.

The new format is also nice because it doesn't have the old hardcoded cheat name length that made scrolling of the text impossible. I tossed the BML file handling code into cheatmgr.cpp in GX, and sure enough, the new cheats showed up properly and were able to be turned on, and the old .cht file was still handled correctly.

I still have to actually implement the scrolling for long cheat names now, and figure out how the cheat toggling works with BML. Fun times ahead for cheaters, stay tuned :whip:

Update: My testing matched PC Snes9x cheats functionality. Cheat names now scroll when too long. PR is up: https://github.com/dborth/snes9xgx/pull/1038

Last edited by InfiniteBlue,

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Can I request the PNG file that Snes9x RX is using as TVMode filter?
I'm talking about the scanlines.
Is there any way to download it?
Extract it from the app itself?

Something I can do to get my hands on the file?

Last edited by JuanMena,
  • Haha
Reactions: niuus

InfiniteBlue

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat