Snes9x RX - A new fork.

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by niuus, Dec 25, 2018.

1. niuus
    OP

niuus GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 4, 2016
    Venezuela
    Hi people. Almost exactly 2 years ago, i began this fun coding exercise as a little effort to backport interesting and useful changes present in other releases of Snes9x, mainly the ones related to libretro and the official Snes9x. I am no expert, but thought i could learn a little bit, and in the process make some personal updates to keep enjoying my favorite console on my favorite homebrew system. 240p FTW!

Seeing that the GX emulators got some new updates in 2017-2018 and that there's still public interest in the Wii scene, i believe this is a good time to finally release it, since i couldn't do it last year (moving to another country and other RL stuff).

This fork will stay on Snes9x core version 1.52, and be focused primarily in maintaining full speed for all games, or as far as the Wii can push performance. Commits will still be cherry picked from the libretro/snes9x/snes9x gx as long as they do not degrade performance.

Any help, feedback, or comments, will be always welcome.

And last, but no least, thanks to Tantric, Zopenko, and more recently, Bladeoner, for maintaining the great GX emulator series.

Merry christmas to y'all!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Notes:

Some of the highlights are:

• You can now play Super Mario World Central 9th Annual VLDC #9.
    • -1 frame input lag difference.
    • Kouryuu no Mimi english translation is playable.
    • Tengai Makyou Zero - Far East of Eden english translation is playable.
    • MSU-1 chip support.
    • Revisited and updated spanish/italian translation.
    • Raphnet adapter and HORI Digital Controller for GameCube users can also exit to the menu with L+R+X+Y combo (soon to be changed).
    Check the changelog for details.

Links:

Newest/Latest release at:
    https://github.com/niuus/Snes9xRX/releases
    Readme available at:
    https://github.com/niuus/Snes9xRX/blob/master/README.txt

Enjoy!

Last edited by niuus, Jan 11, 2019
  2. niuus
    OP

Mar 4, 2016
    Venezuela
    Changelog:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    Experimental builds:
    None yet.

Games with known issues:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Last edited by niuus, Jan 8, 2019
  3. Gamecuber

Gamecuber Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 29, 2012
    Switzerland
    Merry X-Mas.

4. rogerioronin

rogerioronin Member

Newcomer
    Nov 19, 2013
    Brazil
    Jandira, Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Thank you for such a beautiful job!

METALIGALO likes this.
  5. MaeseJesus

MaeseJesus GBAtemp Fan

Apr 3, 2013
    This sounds great!

One question, though: Does this share the same settings as the normal Snes9x GX? Would you be able to use both without problems?

6. CMDreamer

CMDreamer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 29, 2014
    Mexico
    Just downloaded the file from Github. Telling by the file structure of it, I'd say it shares the same configuration of SNES9xGX, but haven't tested it yet, so don't quote me on that.

On topic.
    Thanks for the updates and upgrades of this. I'm a huge fan of SNES games!

7. niuus
    OP

Mar 4, 2016
    Venezuela
    Yes! I did not changed that, so that it would be more convenient to share games and previews between both versions.

Same for you!

Last edited by niuus, Dec 26, 2018
    MaeseJesus likes this.
  8. rayabusa

rayabusa Member

Newcomer
    Feb 22, 2018
    Brazil
    Thanks for this awesome job niuus!

Ive been testing this emulator and it seems to be sharing the same configs with Snes9X GX(if you have both on your SD), even with Snes9X RX creating its proper settings.xml. The problem is that one emulator is disconfiguring the other, you have to configure all again when changing emulator. Is there a way to avoid this?

rogerioronin likes this.
  9. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I think the word you are looking for is backport. Rollback would be removing features already present.
    But nice work nonetheless :)
    Didn't think people were still interested in the Wii.

10. niuus
    OP

Mar 4, 2016
    Venezuela
    Hmm, i'm not sure why you are encountering that error, seeing that both emulators just saves its settings in their own folder, and since you can't have both boot.dol in one place for the Homebrew Channel to launch, i fail to see how this could happen. Any more details you can share?

That's correct! Thanks for the term. Fixed :yayps3:

And yeah, i really do love the Wii as a powerful and versatile retrogaming machine, specially since i use it on CRTs and a PVM.

Dodain47 likes this.
  11. cebolleto

cebolleto GBAtemp Regular

Mar 5, 2010
    Had the same problem here... I think there is a problem on how you are saving your settings file: Place the roms in a different folder than the default one, then load any rom and restart... The program complains about not being able to find the folder and all settings are lost

12. Askot

Askot Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 13, 2015
    Mexico
    Nice update, it doesnt have input issue with classic controller like snes9xgx 4.3.9 has, a question: which libogc, devkitpro ppc version are you using? I think newest version had some issues, that' s why I am asking and this one is close to perfect

Last edited by Askot, Dec 27, 2018
  13. Edu64

Edu64 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 25, 2015
    Cote d'Ivoire
    What is the problem with version 4.3.9 with the classic control?
    I've played quite that version and I have not noticed any problems.

14. Askot

Askot Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 13, 2015
    Mexico
    If you are using Classic Controller Pro no issue, but if it's a Classic Controller original, left stick get stucked, even using a wii super famicom controller official from club nintendo has this issue and you cant move any direction in-game neither moving across emu options. Tested in latest emus fceugx 3.4.0, vbagx 2.3.7, snes9xgx 4.3.9 & 4.4.0 and usbloader gx rev 1268, have you updated and tested? This version was my last hope and it worked very well.

15. rayabusa

rayabusa Member

Newcomer
    Feb 22, 2018
    Brazil
    Yes, and there each on their own folder, with their own settings, but one is still using the settings from the other and when changing emulators the settings are resetted and you have to configure all again, it's weird.

Exactly, this is what's happening to me, so this isn't a personal problem.

16. Edu64

Edu64 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 25, 2015
    Cote d'Ivoire
    That explains why I have not had problems, I have occupied the classic pro controller and the controller of snes mini (the official).
    Question, does the nintendo club control have analog sticks?

Last edited by Edu64, Dec 27, 2018
  17. Askot

Askot Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 13, 2015
    Mexico
    No analogs, it's just like super famicom -snes- controller

18. Edu64

Edu64 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 25, 2015
    Cote d'Ivoire
    Strange that it does not work and the control of "snes classic mini" if it works, maybe that control came out before the pro controls and recognizes it as classic control of the first model.

19. Askot

Askot Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 13, 2015
    Mexico
    Right but that's why I asked for used libraries, I think they were the culprit in this issue not in this fork.

20. Edu64

Edu64 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 25, 2015
    Cote d'Ivoire
    Talking about libraries, maybe this is also affecting a game in specific "top gear 3000", even using retroarch in "snes classic mini" ,serious problems appear.
    It should be mentioned that this is the only game that occupies the dsp4 chip.
    In this version of the emulator does the game work ?, the last version that worked was 4.3.7