Homebrew Snes9x RX - A new fork.

Which one is the typography you think should be the main one from now on? (Images on page 22)

• Earthworm Jim 2

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Kirby Super Star

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Super Bomberman 2

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Earthworm Jim

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

steval_beaning

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
is there a way to specify e.g. overclock settings per-game? for example, some games benefit a lot from increased CPU clock speed (e.g. star fox, super castlevania, earthbound) but some games have issues (e.g. final fantasy sound gets broken) so it would be good to be able to configure settings on a per-game basis.

niuus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
is there a way to specify e.g. overclock settings per-game? for example, some games benefit a lot from increased CPU clock speed (e.g. star fox, super castlevania, earthbound) but some games have issues (e.g. final fantasy sound gets broken) so it would be good to be able to configure settings on a per-game basis.
Use autoboot. Readme here.

My idea was to add the SNES9X one to RetroArch.
That would be useless. You already have static images that you can edit, out of hundreds of different choices that you can download and adapt (I do my personal PNGs for arcade games), in addition to platform-dependant shaders.

niuus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Is there a way to do this when loading roms using wiiflow?
I don't use any kind of loaders or channels between emulators and games as I don't find them useful at all to the game experience, but you could ask our resident Wiiflow expert @Tetsuo Shima for some guidance, if he has the time.

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
I don't use any kind of loaders or channels between emulators and games as I don't find them useful at all to the game experience, but you could ask our resident Wiiflow expert @Tetsuo Shima for some guidance, if he has the time.
@niuus
I can help about per-game settings.

@steval_beaning
If Snes9x RX doesn't detect a settingsRX.xml file in the folder root_(sd_or_usb):/Snes9xRX/ , and if you're using arguments in the meta.xml file for autoboot the SNES games (see this part of the README), Snes9x RX will make a new settingsRX.xml file in the location where is the boot.dol file stored. Done by this way, you'll get per-game settings.

niuus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Well, 4 years and 1 day since the first release of Snes9x RX! Merry Christmas, gamers.

New release is up! (5.5.0)

[5.5.0 - December 25, 2022]

* Add B/1 cancel trigger to WindowPrompts. [InfiniteBlueGX]

* Fix initial game selection menu "jump" when using Wii Classic Controller
or Wii U Pro Classic Controller. [InfiniteBlueGX]

* Fix a crash when selecting Cancel after removing a SD/USB device and
re-opening the app. [InfiniteBlueGX]

* Add B/1 button press to cancel button remapping. [InfiniteBlueGX]

* Remove an unused variable since screenshot button
was moved. [InfiniteBlueGX]

* Upgraded the Cheat engine to newer version. [InfiniteBlueGX]
Previous one still works.

* Languages update: korean, spanish.

New cheat engine works fine as dandy, I tested it with "version 1" cheats (old format) and "version 2" (newest). I would recommend you to create your new .cht files with Snes9x on PC/Mac for ease of use, and then copy them to your SD/USB.

InfiniteBlue

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, 4 years and 1 day since the first release of Snes9x RX! Merry Christmas, gamers

Woohoo! :grog:

I hope everyone can appreciate the new menu navigation as well. GX and RX are finally at a point where navigating in and out of the menus is as intuitive as I always hoped.

Making a new save state is now as simple as opening the menu, mashing A, then mashing B once it's made to get back to the game. No more making accidental SRAM states, no more needing to use the stick/pad to navigate directionally, no more needing to alternate A and B presses to highlight and select the Close button. It's so much faster and straightforward now.

niuus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Woohoo! :grog:

I hope everyone can appreciate the new menu navigation as well. GX and RX are finally at a point where navigating in and out of the menus is as intuitive as I always hoped.

Making a new save state is now as simple as opening the menu, mashing A, then mashing B once it's made to get back to the game. No more making accidental SRAM states, no more needing to use the stick/pad to navigate directionally, no more needing to alternate A and B presses to highlight and select the Close button. It's so much faster and straightforward now.
Totally. I've been enjoying it, even though I was incredibly accustomed to using the arrows and buttons very quickly through all the menus and options, this new way of navigation is pretty cool, and best of all, makes use of schemes already ingrained in our brains through years of gaming. :grog:

MeXen

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Well, 4 years and 1 day since the first release of Snes9x RX! Merry Christmas, gamers.

[5.5.0 - December 25, 2022]

* Add B/1 cancel trigger to WindowPrompts. [InfiniteBlueGX]

* Fix initial game selection menu "jump" when using Wii Classic Controller
or Wii U Pro Classic Controller. [InfiniteBlueGX]

* Fix a crash when selecting Cancel after removing a SD/USB device and
re-opening the app. [InfiniteBlueGX]

* Add B/1 button press to cancel button remapping. [InfiniteBlueGX]

* Remove an unused variable since screenshot button
was moved. [InfiniteBlueGX]

* Upgraded the Cheat engine to newer version. [InfiniteBlueGX]
Previous one still works.

* Languages update: korean, spanish.

New cheat engine works fine as dandy, I tested it with "version 1" cheats (old format) and "version 2" (newest). I would recommend you to create your new .cht files with Snes9x on PC/Mac for ease of use, and then copy them to your SD/USB.
Any updates in performance and emulation compatibility?

niuus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Any updates in performance and emulation compatibility?
Compatibility: RX is already compatible with at least, I would say, 98% of the SNES library, adding Sufami Turbo and BS-X Satellaview (the latter which has expanded compatibility by using the BIOS, since 5.3.0). Unless you're really craving to play obscure games that almost no one cares to emulate like Hayazashi Nidan Morita Shougi 2 or Madden NFL 96, which you can't on any of the Wii Snes9x variants, almost the full library is compatible. If you find any other exception, weird or obscure game that does not play, I would like to add it to my list, so lemme know.

Performance: again, almost full library plays without issues in all the Wii Snes9x variants, other than some small drops in very very few heavy games, like Jikkyō Oshaberi Parodius and the Super FX titles, namely Doom and both Star Fox. FX games do have a little known last trick to attain full 60fps through a hack, but the implementation could be boring, hence why it hasn't been made yet.

Other than that, we are almost at the peak with the Super Nintendo emulation on Wii, which is what I dreamed since the very beginning.

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I was unaware of this update. Thanks for the work put into it, navigating is surely simpler now!
The only realistically feasible thing I could ask is a 8:7 aspect ratio option, but this seems to cover everything else.

As far as FX games, I remember the Star Fox games having slightly better performance here than on Retro Arch SNES9x cores. Not much difference but enough to be noticeable for me. Also, better MSU performance, but that depends on how the hack was made too.

niuus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I was unaware of this update. Thanks for the work put into it, navigating is surely simpler now!
The only realistically feasible thing I could ask is a 8:7 aspect ratio option, but this seems to cover everything else.

As far as FX games, I remember the Star Fox games having slightly better performance here than on Retro Arch SNES9x cores. Not much difference but enough to be noticeable for me. Also, better MSU performance, but that depends on how the hack was made too.
Yep, they do run great. Now, the only hack that I've played so far that is way out there in terms of requiring too much, is the "Killer Instinct Arcade" patch. FMVs on RX run fine, and up to the game arena against certain characters (Sabrewulf and Glacius skip a lot), GX/TX chugs very hard on FMVs, and gameplay is skippy too, again depending on the characters. This is using a USB drive, which is the fastest in terms of reading data, SD is slightly worse with this hack.

Other than that Killer exception, MSU-1 runs like a champ, specially the FMV centric port Super Road Blaster, kind of the benchmark when it comes to continuous video/audio streaming from a SNES game.

niuus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Dude that game patch basically turns the game into the Arcade version and that's more that the Wii can handle unless you make a direct port of the Arcade version.
No. Not really more than the 'Wii can handle', as it doesn't even use an extra CPU like FX or SA-1, other than the streaming from the MSU-1. The crux of the matter is that the romhack was apparently (i'm paraphrasing here) programmed doing some incorrect things that the console can't understand, as it wasn't developed with a flash cartridge since the very beginning (the hacker didn't have one). Emulators are more tolerable to flaws, so it wasn't showing them. As it stands right now, it doesn't even run correctly on real hardware, there are bugs to be ironed out, and then wait for other bugs/optimizations that Krikzz needs to do on the FX Pak firmware.

Even original Killer Instinct games can run on the Wii, but there is no MIPS dynamic recompiler for the Ultra 64 hardware on PowerPC. Heck, not even ARM architecture has one for those, that's why you don't see people enjoying KI games on MAME with ordinary mobile phones. Tough work.

A little late to the party on this, but I just updated to the latest version today. The new menu controls feel so much more intuitive. Great work!
Glad you're enjoying it, we owe this fresh navigation scheme to our fella @InfiniteBlue. It makes the emulator such a breeze to go in and out menus.

Last edited by niuus,

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
original Killer Instinct games can run on the Wii

There is a direct port of KI 2 Arcade for the OG Xbox and it only runs very well on those units with extra ram because they are developer units or got the ram added by modding the console.

The first KI Arcade version could technically run on the Wii as a direct port as it is less of a hardware hog but it would have to be a direct port.

So you are only technically correct in that yes the mod is badly made but also no, the Wii can't run KI Arcade even if Mame for the Wii was perfect.

Heck as I said you would need a direct port.

niuus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
There is a direct port of KI 2 Arcade for the OG Xbox and it only runs very well on those units with extra ram because they are developer units or got the ram added by modding the console.

The first KI Arcade version could technically run on the Wii as a direct port as it is less of a hardware hog but it would have to be a direct port.

So you are only technically correct in that yes the mod is badly made but also no, the Wii can't run KI Arcade even if Mame for the Wii was perfect.

Heck as I said you would need a direct port.
Do you even know what you're talking about? KI2 direct port for Xbox1 with extra ram? :rolleyes:

The arcade roms for both games run on the Xbox1 just because the EMULATOR is a source port of the original U64Emu for PC, which already ran perfect on a measly Pentium III. There was no need to rewrite dynarec or other important stuff deeply for the console, which made the port integrate fine with the Xbox1 x86 architecture. That port was done by famous known youtuber ModernVintageGamer, and it doesn't need anything more than a cheap softmodded Xbox1 with its factory components.

No need for "direct ports" to Wii to make it run flawless. Perfect MAME for Wii? You're weird. But whatever, be happy with your imaginary direct ports. And no, the mod is not "badly made".

Anyway, on topic discussion is way cooler. This is the Snes9x RX thread.

Has gamecube sd2sp2 card compatibility been added?

Will it be compatible with game cube SD2SP2?
Okey, about this: as commented almost a year ago, I was donated a SD2SP2 back in 2022. sadly It arrived faulty much later. Fast forward some months, another user donated me yet another SD2SP2, which arrived like 2 weeks ago. Now that I can test and guarantee compatibility with it on the beloved Gamecube, I went all in with the integration. Spoiler alert: it's done! Snes9xRX 5.6.0 should be ready for public soon-ish. I tested loading roms from the adapter, and also ran games and emulators from it, it all went perfect. :yay:

All previous perks from RX like better speed are still there, now with that extra feature for Gamecube users.

Last edited by niuus,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I really didn't like playing online against other people always felt like I was being matched...