[RUMOUR] PS4 backups already on torrent sites!?

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Just one (slightly off-topic) question: I presume the Wii U discs are physically Blu-Ray, for obvious economic reasons. How hard was ripping those, compared to a conventional BD disc? Was it as easy as with this case?
I heard a BD-ROM drive won't even read them. If they're anything like how Wii/GC disks compared to DVD disks, I think the format of the information within each disk sector would be different.

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
Err...this isn't all that much brutal, seeing how they're just BluRay Discs like PS3 games before it.

Wii U discs use their own format (Wii U Optical Disk is what they're officially called IIRC), though they're fairly similar to BluRay (being developed by Panasonic and all). No idea if they've been successfully ripped yet or not (I don't really keep up too much with the Wii U hacking scene"), but a quick search on various sites shows there aren't many reliable rips of any Wii U game out yet.

Didn't really mean the "exploit" itself but rather the fact it's done even before the console is out (officially, that is :ph34r: ).
I'm aware of one single Wii U dump reported here some months ago so yeah, it has been done before.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Being hacked would be a good thing for them. Look at PSX, PS2, Wii, all hacked to shit, all dominated in sales in their respective gens. Sony should just sell the PS4 pre-hacked. :grog:

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Maybe this situation with be different :creep: I will cry if Sony hasn't done it's security right (again).

To be honest, I hope it won't get hacked till it has made a good start. ^w^
PS3's security was awful since day one, and Team overfl0w showed it with no problem. It just was that no-one was seriously dedicated to hacking it.

If Sony didn't lawsuit everyone's ass, nowadays you'd see exploits for 3.55+ fws. I'm sure they'll pop up like mushrooms some years after Sony discontinues support for the PS3, thus lessening the risk for an individual to hack it entirely.

Usually much of a system's security is included in custom silicon. I dunno if they've done a custom design based on AMD's CPU or just used an one off the shelf. If they did choose the latter, the PS4 will be hacked in NO time.

...what to do with an hacked PS4, you say? Well, you'll be able to run Windows on it, since it's pretty much a PC :creep: (btw, it's just a joke, Windows won't probably run because of general architecture differences)

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

Idaho

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I suspect a trick from SONY to trigger rumors about a hack and sell PS4 to unadvertised "wanna free gaems" pleb...

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
...what to do with an hacked PS4, you say? Well, you'll be able to run Windows on it, since it's pretty much a PC :creep: (btw, it's just a joke, Windows won't probably run because of general architecture differences)

CPU: AMD 8-core x86-64 processor
GPU: Radeon-based graphics engine

...what architectural differences? :P I bet Windows drivers are already available for most of the hardware.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Aw, c'mon...seriously? :angry:

Look...I can understand this is a user submitted news thread. It says "rumour", so you know to take it with a pinch of salt. But front page news? Please...

My bet is someone just ripped a blueray movie, encrypted it a bit, renamed it and uploaded it for lulz. Should we really care? If anything, sony employees are probably laughing their ass off while wannabe pirates are filling up their hard disks with useless garbage.

Also: damn...I had this fun link from before. A fake download site that claimed to let you download literally everything you could enter in the search box (of course it had some impossible way to register before you could actually download things like "the internet", "love", "a real car" or "Battlefield 7"). Unfortunately, it no longer works, or I would have included some "links" to Xbox one games. :(

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've come across ISO rips of Wii U games, FWIW

They're 25GB (scientific GB, whatever that equates to in 'GiB') in size - at least New Super Mario Bros. U was. Not like I could actually do anything with it, but I downloaded one for kicks to see if anything would open it, and of course it wouldn't.

D

Deleted-236924

Being hacked would be a good thing for them. Look at PSX, PS2, Wii, all hacked to shit, all dominated in sales in their respective gens. Sony should just sell the PS4 pre-hacked. :grog:

1- Sell it "pre-hacked"
2- People rush to buy the system
3- A couple days later, Sony: "Hey guys, we noticed an issue that allowed people to play pirated games freely"
4- *Sony "fixes" it*
5- ???
6- Profit!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1