Hacking [Pre-release, WIP] Yet another rxTools?

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
If I recall correctly, it's because the keys aren't initialized when you run it from a9lh as FIRM hasn't launched yet. If you run it from menuhax, FIRM has already initialized the keys, and if you MCU reboot it, the keys will stay initialized from the previous boot.
I guess you are right, I tried to reboot from 11.0 native firm and stays on red screen, but rebooting from 90 native firm it boots. Do you know in which file of the code are supposed to set the keys? starts.s? stub.ld?

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Why are you trying to do this? Does rxTools have a function or feature that doesn't exist in other CFWs? Or is it just an interesting intellectual exercise?
1.- Something that I used to love on rxTools was the all-in-one frontend in a nice looking GUI, yeah, there are better alternatives out there, but same as cakes, rxTools is not for all kind of users nor the most popular CFW, and it didn't stop the developement of Cakes, I'm pretty sure that if rxTools gets A9LH + firms protection, it will rise from his grave.
2.- Yeah, It is actually pretty funny looking, modifing and testing with rxTools code.

Edit: I found the issue what was preventing from booting on a9lh, I will fix that tomorrow.

Last edited by Billy Acuña,

shawn_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1.- Something that I used to love on rxTools was the all-in-one frontend in a nice looking GUI, yeah, there are better alternatives out there, but same as cakes, rxTools is not for all kind of users nor the most popular CFW, and it didn't stop the developement of Cakes, I'm pretty sure that if rxTools gets A9LH + firms protection, it will rise from his grave.
2.- Yeah, It is actually pretty funny looking, modifing and testing with rxTools code.

Edit: I found the issue what was preventing from booting on a9lh, I will fix that tomorrow.
Is a release coming tomorrow? I would love to test it out :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Is a release coming tomorrow? I would love to test it out :)

Hope so, but surely I will get a working a9lh rxTools on this week.

Edit, Actually... I wrotte to fast, the main problem is that @duke_srg not only refactored the stripped down tools from Pasta code, he literally refactored enterily rxTools, so I will much difficult that I did think. Hope @duke_srg returns soon to team working on that nand mount issue...

Last edited by Billy Acuña,

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
So, since a lot of things brokes rxTools on A9LH (not only the nand mount issue) , I decided to move to libctr9 and probably will remove vanilla rxmode patches and move to 3ds_injector , but I will try to keep the refactored tools and the GUI both made by @duke_srg . Please, keep in mind that this will not an easy task that could take months but I will do my best, I'm not a experienced developer and I only have modified existing projects (arm9 projects to be honestly), but if someone experienced on libctr9 and 3ds_injector wants to contribute, you are welcome :)

Reactions: shawn_

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
So, since a lot of things brokes rxTools on A9LH (not only the nand mount issue) , I decided to move to libctr9 and probably will remove vanilla rxmode patches and move to 3ds_injector , but I will try to keep the refactored tools and the GUI both made by @duke_srg . Please, keep in mind that this will not an easy task that could take months but I will do my best, I'm not a experienced developer and I only have modified existing projects (arm9 projects to be honestly), but if someone experienced on libctr9 and 3ds_injector wants to contribute, you are welcome :)
Please keep in mind that 3ds_injector currently has a compiling issue. It's on the issue list, and yifanlu has no time to fix it.

Reactions: Billy Acuña

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Sorry if I didn't reply, but I have some stuff to report.

Since rxTools is pretty hardcoded and I have no knowledge to make a proper modification to fix the outdated code and the lack of a9lh support I decided to make something diferent.
I talked with @Wolfvak on discord and he recommended me to better make rxtools from stratch, so I finally decided to make it what users are actually demanding, a CFW that feels like rxTools but isn't rxTools at all.

128616e1f60989291034e0b891a87105.jpg

I present to you Lima3DS!!!

This is a pseudo-clone of rxTools that feactures tools that are taked from D9 and E9, the CFW will be totally based on Luma3DS because is the most up-to-date CFW out there and will feature a DevMode based freeway because Luma lacks of a minipasta-like mode, I doesn't feature any new atm since its only intention is to be a rxtools-like CFW/Toolkit. Atm it features a simple UI based on rxTools 2.6 and D9, but it will feature a simple version which will feature a GUI like PastaCFW with not optional patches and an advanced one which will feature a GUI like PastaCFW + the JSON GUI made by dukesrg from YARX with optional patches like Corbenik does (except for firm protection, I don't see the point to make it an optional patch). It will be compatible on every entrypoint and on any FW between 4.x and 9.2 :)

It's still in wip and I will try to push a prerelease as soon as I can (too busy on this week and in the next one).

MelonGx

Trophies
XP
Country
China
I'd like to change the splash bottom into a girl picture :P

BTW, will Lima3DS support rxTools 2.X Spider Hack?
Since CakeHax has incompatibilities on -2 to -6 and some unmatched frankenfirmwares such as 7.1.0-10.

shawn_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Since rxTools is pretty hardcoded and I have no knowledge to make a proper modification to fix the outdated code and the lack of a9lh support I decided to make something diferent.
I talked with @Wolfvak on discord and he recommended me to better make rxtools from stratch, so I finally decided to make it what users are actually demanding, a CFW that feels like rxTools but isn't rxTools at all.

This is a pseudo-clone of rxTools that feactures tools that are taked from D9 and E9, the CFW will be totally based on Luma3DS because is the most up-to-date CFW out there and will feature a DevMode based freeway because Luma lacks of a minipasta-like mode, I doesn't feature any new atm since its only intention is to be a rxtools-like CFW/Toolkit. Atm it features a simple UI based on rxTools 2.6 and D9, but it will feature a simple version which will feature a GUI like PastaCFW with not optional patches and an advanced one which will feature a GUI like PastaCFW + the JSON GUI made by dukesrg from YARX with optional patches like Corbenik does (except for firm protection, I don't see the point to make it an optional patch). It will be compatible on every entrypoint and on any FW between 4.x and 9.2 :)

It's still in wip and I will try to push a prerelease as soon as I can (too busy on this week and in the next one).
Awesome! Waiting (impatiently lol) for the pre-release :) Thank you!!

Halvorsen

Trophies
Website
halcove.com
XP
Country
United States

Lima, Puma, Luma... we've already got people mistakening Luma for Luna and "Llama3DS."

Just for the name though, the actual CFW itself is a great throwback, but with modern features. Sounds good.

Last edited by Halvorsen,
Reactions: Ryccardo

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'd like to change the splash bottom into a girl picture [emoji14]

BTW, will Lima3DS support rxTools 2.X Spider Hack?
Since CakeHax has incompatibilities on -2 to -6 and some unmatched frankenfirmwares such as 7.1.0-10.
You will be able to make your own custom background in bin format, also it will support spider, mset, ninjhax and, of course, a9lh (which is why I decided to fix rxTools and lately work with Lima3DS).

Reactions: shawn_

MelonGx

Trophies
XP
Country
China
You will be able to make your own custom background in bin format, also it will support spider, mset, ninjhax and, of course, a9lh (which is why I decided to fix rxTools and lately work with Lima3DS).
Supporting Spider is not that enough because Spider Hacks are different.
As I mentioned, CakeHax Spider cannot boot -2 to -6 firmwares and some rare frankenfirmwares, but rxTools 2.X Spider & Gateway Spider can.
If Lima3DS sticks on CakeHax then it is expected to never support those firmwares booted by Spider - since mid-kid has already said that fixing CakeHax Spider's frankenfirmware compatibility is not his high priority work, which means this fix is infinitely postponed.

Last edited by MelonGx,

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Supporting Spider is not that enough because Spider Hacks are different.
As I mentioned, CakeHax Spider cannot boot -2 to -6 firmwares and some rare frankenfirmwares, but rxTools 2.X Spider & Gateway Spider can.
If Lima3DS sticks on CakeHax then it is expected to never support those firmwares booted by Spider - since mid-kid has already said that fixing CakeHax Spider's frankenfirmware compatibility is not his high priority work, which means this fix is infinitely postponed.
Yeah, atm Lima uses Cakehax, so sorry :/ but I will take a look on it anyway :)

Reactions: MelonGx

duke_srg

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Actually I didn't touch entry points and CFW at all. Only menu system and actual tools was refactored. Literally only code in /rxtools subfolder was changed.

BTW, current rxTools fork is less hardcoded than any existing 3DS CFW. 3DS file formats, NAND format, SD boot sectors - all has been moved to structures from the hardcoded values.

Last edited by duke_srg,
Reactions: MelonGx and Madridi

shawn_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@ Billy Acuna How's Lima3DS coming along, any new developments? Look forward to hearing back from you [emoji3]

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: I appreciate the insight!