Hacking [Pre-release, WIP] Yet another rxTools?

Dracari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's offtopic, but how can you compare a exploitation software with a installer software? You can install Boot9Strap with Sighax Installer or with SafeB9SInstaller
the SigHax installer is cuasing bricks that arent UserError so the B9S installer is teh safer course. (sorry i edited my post to reflect "Installer" not exploit itself.)

Last edited by Dracari,

Gray_Jack

Trophies
XP
Country
the SigHax installer is cuasing bricks that arent UserError so the B9S installer is teh safer course.
Whatever, man, the point is you are getting 2 different types of software and comparing then. It's like saying MS Office Word is better than Adobe Photoshop.
It's ok to say SafeB9SInstaller (> or < or = or >= or <=) SigHax Installer
It's not ok to say Boot9Strap (> or < or = or >= or <=) X Installer

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
granted i advocated the right for using a bootmanger even that it just updated for Sighax support but... rxtools is Dead, Let it Rest stop trying to revive it there are better CFWs even if you want one that just "works" theres Luma, Corbnik, Cakes etc. the only place rxtools has left remotely in this day and age is for those Stupid high paranoid users, that see the migration to A9LH (now outdated)/ or to Sighax(Boot9strap Installer > Sighax installer atm) will brick em and these are the people who look at the 3DS Guide as "too risky" :wacko::blink: and w/ 11.3 (and it not changing in 11.4) now introducing its methods to stop External NATIVE_FIRM loading. RXTools is in its coffin w/ teh final nail in.

Sure people could fork rxtools or even this and try to bring it to standards but i thought the point of it all you all so helplessly clung to was "its not broken, no nee dto fix it, it just works!" (well sorry it is Broken [by 11.3+]. it needs to be fixed [again 11.3+ Support and now needing sighax/boot9strap support] and it only "Just Works" with Firmwares 11.2 and older, (and even then you cant go online (w/o CTRHTTP Pwn even then that wont work forever) no patches to protect your Sysnand FIRM1/FIRM0 so any attempt to update would and will update yer precious 9.2 Sysnand!

again people who want something under the name rxTools its your choice to develop a CFW that can work w/ todays Firmwares, offer the same protections or as little as you see fit. but the orginal that carried everyone to where things led to , today? the orginal rxTools is just Dead, deceased, 6feet under in teh digital ground. and in its place we say Decrypt9 take its "Tools" place (rxMode was the "CFW" not what everyone else was concerned about the "Tools") and evcen then, GodMode9 is quiockly becomming what Decrypt9 is and more (there will always be someone that wants an all in one solution, but if its waht you want then by all means study study study learn experiment and code your own "rxtools Reborn or wtf you want to call it. just leave its ancestor where it belongs.
While your knowledge about the 3ds scene is sound, you're completely off base. This isn't the original rxtools release. This is a fork with completely refactored tools, some of which perform better than D9 (last we checked) such as nand dumping which takes around 50% less time.

There are only 2 issues with it which resulted in this project being on halt atm:
- Lack of interest from other devs. @duke_srg has not touched the cfw part since the last official rxtools release, and asked devs with help on adding a9lh support (now sighax I suppose, or why not both? I personally am against removing support for other methods just because a superior one in play, UNLESS it hinders development or something)
- Lack of interest from users. @duke_srg expressed need for testers, and beside me, there aren't any testers.

There is no reason why this can't be brought up to standards. Just because it has the name "rxtools" doesn't automatically disqualify it. It's kinda ironic that rxtools and Gateway receive all the bashing when Gateway started it all, and rxtools was the first free cfw.

In any case, the original rxtools thread was closed due to people shitposting about how it's finally dead, with a link to this project in case anyone is interested in having it revived. Whether or not you agree with that decision, @duke_srg has already stated over and over that he doesn't care what people think. He can develop what he wants, and he doesn't need to hear anymore of the "rxtools is dead" thing anymore

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
If you need a tester, my offer still stands. Although my systems are currently on boot9straps, which does rather hinder some things.
Yeah we appreciate that but there's still the problem with spider exploit being the only entry point atm (well, I think stuff like mset still exists? I don't know, for old methods I only use spider.)
So since everyone, including yourself, have updated sysnands, it just means they can't test this because they have no access to any of the entry points. Not until a9lh or sighax support is added (or both!)

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yeah we appreciate that but there's still the problem with spider exploit being the only entry point atm (well, I think stuff like mset still exists? I don't know, for old methods I only use spider.)
So since everyone, including yourself, have updated sysnands, it just means they can't test this because they have no access to any of the entry points. Not until a9lh or sighax support is added (or both!)
My best suggestion is working on the entrypoint issue first and possibly looking to fork from say, CakesFW's methods of booting. CakesFW is currently the only CFW that actually supports all entrypoints. Once you get that part fixed, then start focusing on getting the OFW support back up and running.
The reason I suggest entrypoints first is that can open the doors to more testing since you kind of need these entrypoints in order to see if the OFW works.

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
My best suggestion is working on the entrypoint issue first and possibly looking to fork from say, CakesFW's methods of booting. CakesFW is currently the only CFW that actually supports all entrypoints. Once you get that part fixed, then start focusing on getting the OFW support back up and running.
The reason I suggest entrypoints first is that can open the doors to more testing since you kind of need these entrypoints in order to see if the OFW works.
Sure, we tried that, but @duke_srg has no knowledge about a9lh workings (afaik) since he doesn't have a9lh to begin with, and we all know rxtools code is a mess. While he did refactor the tools, the cfw part remains a mess.

So the only viable source for him to look at was the last official rxtools release code, and cherry-pick some code to add to his fork. We did that a few pages back, and failed (page 18 is where we started I think, you can read my description on the behavior it gave)

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Sure, we tried that, but @duke_srg has no knowledge about a9lh workings (afaik) since he doesn't have a9lh to begin with, and we all know rxtools code is a mess. While he did refactor the tools, the cfw part remains a mess.

So the only viable source for him to look at was the last official rxtools release code, and cherry-pick some code to add to his fork. We did that a few pages back, and failed (page 18 is where we started I think, you can read my description on the behavior it gave)
I know there was a build of RXTools that supported A9LH, but where there a source with it as well?

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yeah it's the latest source code from the official build I believe
I actually happen to have a system not in use with A9LH still installed on it. I have the hardware and setup to do most forms of testing if he's willing to try and throw something together. Another question is, does @duke_srg only have one system?

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
I actually happen to have a system not in use with A9LH still installed on it. I have the hardware and setup to do most forms of testing if he's willing to try and throw something together. Another question is, does @duke_srg only have one system?
FW 9.2? That would be great!

Besides, you can test the current setup. My tests are not by any means enough. The more info he has, the better.
I also assume you can compile code? Cause you'll need to do that with every new commit to test it out.

Afaik yeah, only one system

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
FW 9.2? That would be great!

Besides, you can test the current setup. My tests are not by any means enough. The more info he has, the better.
I also assume you can compile code? Cause you'll need to do that with every new commit to test it out.

Afaik yeah, only one system
I will have to set everything back up to compile everything. Most people just end up sending me everything pre-compiled, so I ended up uninstalling most of my stuff. I am going to hit you both up with a PM with my discord information.
That and I am also about to head to bed, so I would hate to vanish without making sure I message you guys

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
I will have to set everything back up to compile everything. Most people just end up sending me everything pre-compiled, so I ended up uninstalling most of my stuff. I am going to hit you both up with a PM with my discord information.
That and I am also about to head to bed, so I would hate to vanish without making sure I message you guys
I use discord, but I'm pretty sure @duke_srg doesn't.
In any case, once you decide to compile, branch "dev-cardboost" is what you're looking for I think.

Also, for reference: Here is a list of things @duke_srg needs help with:
https://github.com/dukesrg/rxTools/issues

Either way, I'm probably going to be busy until later tonight as well.
Have a good night :)

Reactions: The Catboy

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I use discord, but I'm pretty sure @duke_srg doesn't.
In any case, once you decide to compile, branch "dev-cardboost" is what you're looking for I think.

Also, for reference: Here is a list of things @duke_srg needs help with:
https://github.com/dukesrg/rxTools/issues

Either way, I'm probably going to be busy until later tonight as well.
Have a good night :)
Hit you guys up with a PM. I look forwards to future testing! :mthr:

Reactions: Madridi

master_tcs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Hi I need help I just updated my 3ds. i was using rxtools but now I cannt get the main menu the screen just keeps blinking when I get pass the rxtools splash screen. Everything else is working I could still get in the orignal firmware when I turn it on with out the sd card in and it is still on 9.20. Also homebrew is also working. I could still get in to homebrew when the sd card is still in. Before the update I copied all the files in the sd card to my computer and and when I it failed to boot up again I tried copying everything back but still it wont go to the main menu. Please help me if their is a way to fix it and if I have to change to a diffrent cfw will I be able to keep my files like savefiles

Trophies
XP
Hi I need help I just updated my 3ds. i was using rxtools but now I cannt get the main menu the screen just keeps blinking when I get pass the rxtools splash screen. Everything else is working I could still get in the orignal firmware when I turn it on with out the sd card in and it is still on 9.20. Also homebrew is also working. I could still get in to homebrew when the sd card is still in. Before the update I copied all the files in the sd card to my computer and and when I it failed to boot up again I tried copying everything back but still it wont go to the main menu. Please help me if their is a way to fix it and if I have to change to a diffrent cfw will I be able to keep my files like savefiles
Rxtools was broken on 11.3. Update to luma with https://3ds.guide. Boot into sysnand and follow it. You won't lose any data.

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Last I talked to @duke_srg , he was getting busy in real life to have time to continue with it. Whether he still plans to or not, I do not know, but I am definitely still interested.

Reactions: jimmyj

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/kTzpzBF.mp4