Powered on my switch for the first time in maybe three years and I'm a little behind. SXOS 2.8 and 8.0.0 Help me update!

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good to hear Impeeza. That's the guide I used to make new boots... I haven't tried restoring them yet, but that'll be on the docket soon
Post automatically merged:

Thanks for the recommendations guys. Binki, that looks super fun. My kids are a litle older than yours, but regarless of age, a good puzzle game is tough to beat. Hayato, I do enjoy some SSB and I remember the old Mario party's being fun. I'll look into those!

I'm kind of stumped here https://rentry.org/EristaEmuNAND
Looking at step 3, you copy and paste all the stuff into the hekate.ini and since I'm trying to set it up with sxos instead of atmosphere for the time being,
We will put together a stanza for SXOS as part of Mike’s tut. For now just create hekate_ipl.ini by the book.
I'm not sure what to do with the bottom section. What I'll change is in red, change to is in blue. At least that is my intention. let me know if that's totally wrong

[config]
autoboot=0
autoboot_list=0
bootwait=3
backlight=100
autohosoff=0
autonogc=1
updater2p=0
bootprotect=0
[Atmosphere CFW change to SXOS CFW]
payload=bootloader/payloads/fusee.bin change to SX_Loader.bin and obviously switch the file out
icon=bootloader/res/icon_payload.bmp make a new .bmp for this
[Stock SysNAND]
fss0=atmosphere/package3 I don't understand what this is so don't know what to change it to
stock=1
emummc_force_disable=1
icon=bootloader/res/icon_switch.bmp

Edit: cleared out a bunch of stupid questions/comments.
What I need to know is: what does "fss0" mean in the last section above? and what does package3 in atmosphere boot? There doesn't seem to be an equivalent in sxos... So I feel like it's just to boot into sysnand so I'll cross that bridge later.
Yes, the last section is to boot into Sysnand/OFW/Stock. Hekate is a bootloader that can launch many different permutations, including stock and SXOS. Hang in there…we’ll get to it soon enough!
How do I tell if I'm on enunand in sxos? people are saying it should say it when you go to the album, but mine looks the same as it did before. It says it's enabled in hekate so I see no reason to think that it isn't. I followed all the steps on the rentry link I posted above so should be good I guess?

You will see a good emunand badge when we have emunand enabled. There’s a thread with some pics…let me find it.

E2: found it…

This goes through a mistake I made in identifying this guy’s emunand but it’s necessary to understand the context. I show my SXOS emunand badge and it’s later pointed out that you can see it in Album as well. Learning is a good thing.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/from-sx-os-to-atmosphere.615861/#post-9888435

That’s my actual hex-boot Switch BTW. When we get to it I will share my .ini files with you but it’s too early to do so just yet.

So for now, just get Atmosphere launching from Hekate. We will not be erasing your boot.dat or license.dat (SXOS only files btw) and you have copies of your old *nand so we can always go back and recreate stuff. SXOS and Atmosphere can coexist because they don’t occupy the same spaces.
Just as an example:
/sxos/titles = /atmosphere/content
Let’s get past the boot0 issues with Atmosphere and 100% running…then we switch to Mike’s tut and bring SXOS into the mix. You will have all the parts in hand to finish the build at that point. If you mix it in now it will be confusing.

E: just remember if something says delete…that means copy and if it says to change something you already have, make a backup. If we do that we can always get back to where we were! :-)

Last edited by binkinator,
  • Love
Reactions: ix3u and impeeza

ix3u

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds great binki! And yeah, that looks super obvious for being on emunand. I should have all the basics figured out tonight.

Holy shit that takes forever starting from complete scratch. I'm now sitting on Mikefor20's dual boot SXOS 11.0.0, ATM is also on 11.0.0 because I haven't updated yet, and the OFW is 8.0.0

Going to try and update atmosphere to the latest now and see how that goes

Last edited by ix3u,

chrisisx

Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Like I get it...I have similar setup with 2 SD cards but complaining about storage with a 400gb for SXOS? Why the hell you would need USB loading for? Do you play how many games at the same time... I have a emunand with just a few Gbs on a 128gb SD Card to run SXOS and XCI loading...if the point is loading theres no need for that much storage...
Yes i do have a lot of older XCI games and i dont want to touch it anymore. Sd cards are very cheap now anyway.

Reactions: binkinator and ix3u

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds great binki! And yeah, that looks super obvious for being on emunand. I should have all the basics figured out tonight.

Holy shit that takes forever starting from complete scratch. I'm now sitting on Mikefor20's dual boot SXOS 11.0.0, ATM is also on 11.0.0 because I haven't updated yet, and the OFW is 8.0.0

Going to try and update atmosphere to the latest now and see how that goes
Nice! I figured you’d have logged off. Still trucking along.

Reactions: impeeza and ix3u

ix3u

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
True story Chris! SD cards are hella cheap. I picked up a 256 from sandisk for like 20 bucks yesterday that I'm going to use as my main card and just have an hdd attached to my dock for all the old stuff.

So I got my ATM emunand at 14.1.2 becasue one of the guides said that was the highest it can go at the moment, but it's so easy to update taking it up to 15 or whatever is out now will be plenty easy. I do still need to figure out the boot things since I can't boot into sysnand. I tried and it either just gives me a black screen or turns off. After I sat there for a bit and nothing happened I just held the power button awhile and re RCMed back into other stuff to make sure it still works. I'm thinking I need to pull boot0 from the OFW (8.0.0) that sysnand is on and use hekate to restore it?

So now that I have a growing grasp of what does what, is there going to be an easy way to do a complete transfer of my sd card to my bigger one when it arrives or do I have to go through all the emutool/NxNandManager stuf again like when I followed Mike's tutorial? Also, easiest game installer for ATM is?

@binkinator Yeah, still at it. Luckily I'm working nights. And also luckily nothing came up, so I've been sitting here for 12 hours getting paid to mess with my switch! Time to go in like 30 minutes though so I got to a good stopping point.

Last edited by ix3u,
Reactions: binkinator

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wanna clarify the SXOS firmware situation. On an unpatched switch...

SXOS will not run on firmware 12.0 or above. But you're not running SX off of your SysNand. You're using an EMUNAND. Once in EMUNAND your system ignores the internal NAND and redirects everything to the EmuNAND on your SD. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT FIRMWARE YOUR SYSNAND IS ON BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT USING IT.

I have seen people running sx and atmo in EmuNAND on switch consoles with the internal nand removed. The internal NAND (SysNand) is not engaged, at all,while in EmuNAND. Your SX EmuNAND must be below 12.0 but your sysnand DOES NOT MATTER.

EMUNANDS are a sandbox .

What happens in EmuNAND stays in EmuNAND.

I had switchroot installed directly on my SysNand at one point. Sx and atmo worked fine.

So,best case,

SysNand whatever. Depending on fuses you could choose fake news compatible firmware to boot cfw with no dongle or payload pushing device. Or you could have a clean SysNand (if its not dirty) to go online on the latest firmware.

An Atmosphere Emunand on the latest firmware. This is your daily driver. Install games to the sd. NOTE: If you choose to install games "to SYSTEM NAND" while in the Emunand it actually installs to the EmuNAND partition. What happens in EmuNAND...

And finally a SXOS EmuNAND on 11.x just for USB loading and any other SX related fun.

I use SuperXCI to install all DLC and UPDATES within the XCI and store them on USB to limit the SX footprint on my SD

I use FastCFWSwitch tesla plugin to switch between them.

That is how the tutorial with get you setup. Follow it. Ask if you need help.

ix3u

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wanna clarify the SXOS firmware situation. On an unpatched switch...

SXOS will not run on firmware 12.0 or above. But you're not running SX off of your SysNand. You're using an EMUNAND. Once in EMUNAND your system ignores the internal NAND and redirects everything to the EmuNAND on your SD. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT FIRMWARE YOUR SYSNAND IS ON BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT USING IT.

I have seen people running sx and atmo in EmuNAND on switch consoles with the internal nand removed. The internal NAND (SysNand) is not engaged, at all,while in EmuNAND. Your SX EmuNAND must be below 12.0 but your sysnand DOES NOT MATTER.

EMUNANDS are a sandbox .

What happens in EmuNAND stays in EmuNAND.

I had switchroot installed directly on my SysNand at one point. Sx and atmo worked fine.

So,best case,

SysNand whatever. Depending on fuses you could choose fake news compatible firmware to boot cfw with no dongle or payload pushing device. Or you could have a clean SysNand (if its not dirty) to go online on the latest firmware.

An Atmosphere Emunand on the latest firmware. This is your daily driver. Install games to the sd. NOTE: If you choose to install games "to SYSTEM NAND" while in the Emunand it actually installs to the EmuNAND partition. What happens in EmuNAND...

And finally a SXOS EmuNAND on 11.x just for USB loading and any other SX related fun.

I use SuperXCI to install all DLC and UPDATES within the XCI and store them on USB to limit the SX footprint on my SD

I use FastCFWSwitch tesla plugin to switch between them.

That is how the tutorial with get you setup. Follow it. Ask if you need help.

Then I'm just gonne leave sysnand alone then since it's been rollin dirty since basically day one. Probably should have set up emunand back then but oh well. I still need to set up tesla, but past that, it's basically done I think

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
True story Chris! SD cards are hella cheap. I picked up a 256 from sandisk for like 20 bucks yesterday that I'm going to use as my main card and just have an hdd attached to my dock for all the old stuff.

So I got my ATM emunand at 14.1.2 becasue one of the guides said that was the highest it can go at the moment, but it's so easy to update taking it up to 15 or whatever is out now will be plenty easy. I do still need to figure out the boot things since I can't boot into sysnand.
Mike has a pretty good hekate_ipl.ini setup. I’ll share mine in the AM.
I tried and it either just gives me a black screen or turns off. After I sat there for a bit and nothing happened I just held the power button awhile and re RCMed back into other stuff to make sure it still works. I'm thinking I need to pull boot0 from the OFW (8.0.0) that sysnand is on and use hekate to restore it?

So now that I have a growing grasp of what does what, is there going to be an easy way to do a complete transfer of my sd card to my bigger one when it arrives or do I have to go through all the emutool/NxNandManager stuf again like when I followed Mike's tutorial?

For bigger SDCards you format a new card with Hekate, copy paste your FAT32 data and then use NXNandManager to copy paste hidden partitions. It’s easy because SXOS partition is always at the beginning so nothing to do there and AMS is always at the end so just copy paste and then go in to Hekate and let it “fix” your emunand settings under eMMC tile. It will make all the adjustments needed to your emummc.ini file and you’re good to go. Pretty easy now that you’ve got a firm grasp of the basics.

Also, easiest game installer for ATM is?

I use several. Here’s my opinion (everybody has one) from easiest to toughest to set up:

Installers​

• Tinwoo — A nice installer for when you just want to install.
  • Goldleaf — The kitchen sink but it can also install games.
  • DBI — Capable feature filled and fast installer.
  • Tinfoil — Polished installer. Recommend the Self installing version.

@binkinator Yeah, still at it. Luckily I'm working nights. And also luckily nothing came up, so I've been sitting here for 12 hours getting paid to mess with my switch! Time to go in like 30 minutes though so I got to a good stopping point.

An awesome way to make it through a slow work day!

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@binkinator .....hex boot?

Atmo,sx,Linux,android and horizon?What did you do, file based emunand for atmo so you can install the android partiton?
And Lakka. All just for fun. Nobody really needs that many ways to run Retroarch. ;-)

Yeah, I had to do files based for one or the other because I needed to use a GPT table for all the partitions and GPT conflicts w/ the unmovable SXOS hidden partition. They both want to own the first 2K.

I shrunk a 5G files based partition for SXOS (based on your tut) because I literally don’t write anything to it...ever. It’s only used for mounting XCIs so while not 100% safe from file system corruption it’s good enough for what I use it for. Since SX isn’t ever likely to change I have the whole SX deployment in one small folder on my PC that I can copy paste to a new SDCard and be up again in minutes.

I recently got a 256G eMMC and have installed Android and L4T in it for speed so I can probably get rid of GPT now that we’re talking about it…

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And Lakka. All just for fun. Nobody really needs that many ways to run Retroarch. ;-)

Yeah, I had to do files based for one or the other because I needed to use a GPT table for all the partitions and GPT conflicts w/ the unmovable SXOS hidden partition. They both want to own the first 2K.

I shrunk a 5G files based partition for SXOS (based on your tut) because I literally don’t write anything to it...ever. It’s only used for mounting XCIs so while not 100% safe from file system corruption it’s good enough for what I use it for. Since SX isn’t ever likely to change I have the whole SX deployment in one small folder on my PC that I can copy paste to a new SDCard and be up again in minutes.

I recently got a 256G eMMC and have installed Android and L4T in it for speed so I can probably get rid of GPT now that we’re talking about it…
Nice. I worry about that many partitions.. a lot of different ways to kill an sd lol. Cool it's working out. I had quad boot before. I wanted to do a dragonMMC but that got C&Dd by Ninty (bastards! ). Thinking about trying one of these

Dual MicroSD adapter.

Then i can swap SDs without more wear on that FRAGILE SD slot...

@binkinator what did you wanna add to the guide? PM if you want.

ix3u

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol, that sounds like a whole mess I don't need :rofl2:

Hey Mike, I wanted to let you know in the "create new sxos emunand partition" section step 2 it says to select options then emunand creation tool, but it's actually tools-emunand creation tool... It's obvious when you are trying to do that step, but figured I'd let you know

Last edited by ix3u,
Reactions: mikefor20

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice. I worry about that many partitions.. a lot of different ways to kill an sd lol. Cool it's working out. I had quad boot before. I wanted to do a dragonMMC but that got C&Dd by Ninty (bastards! ).
Everything Dragon was cool. I can’t believe a dualMMC adaptor got Cnd’d. It’s way less competitive to Ninty than say a 3rd party Joycon. I think it was because if guilt by association w/ the DragonInjector (which I will take off anyone’s hands if they want to clear out their junk drawer!)
Thinking about trying one of these

Dual MicroSD adapter.
Then i can swap SDs without more wear on that FRAGILE SD slot...
That is ridiculous.
I want one!
@binkinator what did you wanna add to the guide? PM if you want.
I think I was talking more about “writing” to the file system rather than your guide. Your guide is great the way it is. I refer people to it all the time.

Lol, that sounds like a whole mess I don't need :rofl2:
Without a doubt! LOL
We do a lot of things because we can rather than because we should. Part of the reason I wanted to start small and build up w/ your project. It can get overwhelming pretty damn quick!
Hey Mike, I wanted to let you know in the "create new sxos emunand partition" section step 2 it says to select options then emunand creation tool, but it's actually tools-emunand creation tool... It's obvious when you are trying to do that step, but figured I'd let you know
Giving back to the community already. Nice!

@mikefor20 mentioned fastCFWSwitch earlier.

It’s a Tesla overlay.

Tesla is a topic all unto itself so I’ll just leave a few links here:
Release Writeup

FastCFWSwitch allows those who are so endowed to quickly flip between their enNORmous collection of boot options.

Attaching a zip of my files that I use for my boot options. Enjoy! Ping back with any questions.

Attachments

• fastCFWSwitch-configs.zip
    8.6 MB · Views: 41
Last edited by binkinator,

ix3u

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Giving back to the community... I like the sound of that, but that hardly counts. Normally when going through a tutorial of that depth, you end up having to read through all the comments trying to find help for whatever issue you end up having. I honestly didn't even end up scrolling past his first post. So quite the testimony to how good of a tutorial it actually is!

That Tesla looks like it's going to be fun! Works out well that I basically got everything else set up already. I'll play around with that tonight at work and get it figured out.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Giving back to the community... I like the sound of that, but that hardly counts.
Every little bit helps, man.
Normally when going through a tutorial of that depth, you end up having to read through all the comments trying to find help for whatever issue you end up having. I honestly didn't even end up scrolling past his first post. So quite the testimony to how good of a tutorial it actually is!
It is quite good. I link to it frequently.
That Tesla looks like it's going to be fun! Works out well that I basically got everything else set up already. I'll play around with that tonight at work and get it figured out.
Tesla is a game changer. Click my sig for links to more rabbit holes. Enjoy your “work”! lol

• Love

ix3u

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well every time you guys post stuff I start googling... Here's my favorite thing I've ran across so far

"Makes me wonder how many of these chips I could comfortably fit up my ass and still walk through an airport" -Binkinator

:rofl2::rofl::rofl2::rofl:

Started by looking up dragonmmc, then saw the trinand chip, from there to that sick injector that fits in the camecard slot, to the trinket hardwired, to you taking about smuggling chips into Columbia in your ass... Can't tell if I was out of the game too long, or just long enough :lol:

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well every time you guys post stuff I start googling... Here's my favorite thing I've ran across so far

"Makes me wonder how many of these chips I could comfortably fit up my ass and still walk through an airport" -Binkinator

Started by looking up dragonmmc, then saw the trinand chip, from there to that sick injector that fits in the camecard slot, to the trinket hardwired, to you taking about smuggling chips into Columbia in your ass... Can't tell if I was out of the game too long, or just long enough :lol:
Quickly discovered that 1 was over my comfort level and the ROI evaporated from there. Have started investigating SDCards with smooth edges. Will keep everyone posted.

• Haha

ix3u

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So was actually busy at work tonight and so got no switch stuff accomplished. So all of my game saves were backed up using checkpoint. Which I guess hasn't been working for awhile. I can use daybreak to downgrade firmware to whatever version it works on right? Like could go back to 12.0.0 restore my save files, go back to 15, and switch to something that works like jksv?

Edit... glad I read through the issues section. apparently it doesn't run in applet more anymore, so got my stuff restored.

Last edited by ix3u,

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Mattinator is genius. My DragonInjector is still working. Shame about the improved shells and the DMMC. I want them so.

NINTY!!!I

Reactions: ix3u

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: wtf is the point of banning swearing in games? that's utterly a dumb decision the new...