• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

[POLL] 2020 U.S. Presidential Election

For whom will/would you vote?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Independent voters are handing their vote to Trump or Biden whether they like it or not, and it goes to whichever of the two they dislike the most. NONE of the independents stand any chance of winning whatsoever. So if you don't want Trump to win you should be voting for Biden and vice versa. Voting independent is a complete waste of a vote. May as well not vote at all because it has the same effect. I'd be interested to know where the 32 (thus far) votes on this poll would go if there were only the two options.
Nah it's not true, you also have to take into account the electoral college and the fact that Trump will win my state no matter what I do.

Throwing my vote onto either pile is like trying to drain the ocean one spoonful at a time.

So in light of the fact my state's votes go to Trump no matter what - I think I am making more difference trying to get my preferred 3rd party candidate to 5% so he can get federal election budget backing next cycle.

ieatpixels

Trophies
XP
Country
That's interesting to see it's actually close.
To me it seems Trump has a better grip over what he's doing, and the Biden campaign focuses a lot on identity politics which I've never been a fan of.

Rj.MoG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's interesting to see it's actually close.
To me it seems Trump has a better grip over what he's doing, and the Biden campaign focuses a lot on identity politics which I've never been a fan of.
A better grip on the 12 boxes of sudafed he keeps in his desk

because he's a functional addict

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Could you enlighten me on the negatives of Hillary?
In the hypothetical case of Romney vs Hillary, it's not so much that I hold any grudges against her in particular, but more that they're both corporate-funded, center-right politicians. So it comes down to a couple factors that give Romney the slight edge: I hate the idea of political family dynasties, and I view him as more "decent" in the sense that Hillary's campaign was vicious to both Obama and Sanders in the primaries. She also comes off as less genuine and more power-hungry in front of the camera.

Pretty much the same reasons I would've voted McCain over Hillary in 2008, but assuming he still would've picked Palin for VP, that would've edged me back into Clinton's camp.

Reactions: x65943

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
She's a murderer who stole multiple documents from top-secret government computers. She's also a communist.
Yes yes, your uncle works at Nintendo and your dad rides unicorns through the valley of elves. Back to your land of make-believe now, the adults are having a discussion.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Jeffrey Epstein didn't kill himself.
Well that much is true, the person overseeing the federal prison he was staying at (Bill Barr) allowed him to be murdered at the behest of his master (Donald Trump) so that he couldn't testify against the current president and multiple other obscenely wealthy/powerful individuals.

Still wildly off-topic though.

Reactions: IncredulousP

Lacius

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it comes down to a couple factors that give Romney the slight edge: I hate the idea of political family dynasties, and I view him as more "decent" in the sense that Hillary's campaign was vicious to both Obama and Sanders in the primaries. She also comes off as less genuine and more power-hungry in front of the camera.

Pretty much the same reasons I would've voted McCain over Hillary in 2008, but assuming he still would've picked Palin for VP, that would've edged me back into Clinton's camp.
I guess the Supreme Court is irrelevant now.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I guess the Supreme Court is irrelevant now.
Not irrelevant, but between Romney and Hillary, I'd expect either of them to pick from basically the same pool of centrists/constitutional traditionalists. Obviously a very different situation when you've got someone like Trump teetering on the edge of far-right authoritarianism and just straight-up fascism.

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looking for intelligent political discussion on an internet forum is like diving down a toilet bowl and expecting to come up with a Mars bar, but this is my $0.02 on this election here in the USA:

The education and healthcare system in the United States have become incredibly expensive, unfair, and broken to the point where they have become a massive financial liability for the majority of the population. You can combine this with skyrocketing housing prices in most major metropolitan areas (the places with the most jobs) and constant exposure to increasingly personalized echo chambers created on the majority of social media platforms out there today (to promote user engagement and ad revenue).

What you end up with is an extremely polarized population that is generally pissed off with the world (hard to be satisfyingly angry with massive faceless corporate entities), feels as though they have been generally wronged, and sees very little hope in their future prospects matching what previous generations had taught them to expect w.r.t. financial stability.

At this point, the most stereotypical examples of the liberal/conservative parties look like:

Conservative - "Other groups of people have gotten better treatment than me by exploiting the system or having things handed to them! I have suffered, so they should suffer, too! We need someone who will hurt them so that we can level the playing field!"

Liberal - "Some groups of people have gotten better treatment than others because the majority mindset is bias against them! We should blame the majority for oppressing the others and punish ourselves so we know what it is like to suffer, levelling the playing field!"

And because most people are pissed off and scared, this is how it goes.

Everyone seems to be missing the point that our goal should be that no one should suffer. Have you experienced shittyness in your life? Feel wronged? Like the world is leaving you behind? Like you are powerless and have no say? Fix it! But not by dragging others down - but by lifting us all up. That's how you actually become the greatest country in the world.

IncredulousP

GBAtemp's Resident Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looking for intelligent political discussion on an internet forum is like diving down a toilet bowl and expecting to come up with a Mars bar, but this is my $0.02 on this election here in the USA:

The education and healthcare system in the United States have become incredibly expensive, unfair, and broken to the point where they have become a massive financial liability for the majority of the population. You can combine this with skyrocketing housing prices in most major metropolitan areas (the places with the most jobs) and constant exposure to increasingly personalized echo chambers created on the majority of social media platforms out there today (to promote user engagement and ad revenue).

What you end up with is an extremely polarized population that is generally pissed off with the world (hard to be satisfyingly angry with massive faceless corporate entities), feels as though they have been generally wronged, and sees very little hope in their future prospects matching what previous generations had taught them to expect w.r.t. financial stability.

At this point, the most stereotypical examples of the liberal/conservative parties look like:

Conservative - "Other groups of people have gotten better treatment than me by exploiting the system or having things handed to them! I have suffered, so they should suffer, too! We need someone who will hurt them so that we can level the playing field!"

Liberal - "Some groups of people have gotten better treatment than others because the majority mindset is bias against them! We should blame the majority for oppressing the others and punish ourselves so we know what it is like to suffer, levelling the playing field!"

And because most people are pissed off and scared, this is how it goes.

Everyone seems to be missing the point that our goal should be that no one should suffer. Have you experienced shittyness in your life? Feel wronged? Like the world is leaving you behind? Like you are powerless and have no say? Fix it! But not by dragging others down - but by lifting us all up. That's how you actually become the greatest country in the world.
You left out that most of the broken parts of the system were from decades of Republican policies tearing the infrastructure down bit by bit while boosting the wealth inequality. But sure, enlightened centrism seems like a comfy way of escaping having to pick a side.

our goal should be that no one should suffer. Have you experienced shittyness in your life? Feel wronged? Like the world is leaving you behind? Like you are powerless and have no say? Fix it! But not by dragging others down - but by lifting us all up. That's how you actually become the greatest country in the world.
This is the liberal platform. You're only as happy as your neighbors. We're all in this together. We should lift everyone up, not drag classes down for our own benefit.

Last edited by IncredulousP,

UltraSUPRA

[title removed by staff]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FBIMG1597961549482.jpg

Lacius

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not irrelevant, but between Romney and Hillary, I'd expect either of them to pick from basically the same pool of centrists/constitutional traditionalists.
I don't agree they would have picked from "basically the same pool." Hillary and Obama, yeah, but not Hillary and Romney.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    eeewww
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I thought it was the toilet
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    okies. Time to go watch YT paranormal ghost things. L8er my luvs :D
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a massive clue
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this mf def ain't watching ghost shit, he boutta beat his meat fr
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah he's about to be the ghost in your bedroom
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, and leave ectoplasm all over the place
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:

this is him being described
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I dislike the kind of drm where you have to play single player games online all the time bc of some verification bs
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Don't use games that have Easy Anti-Cheat as its been exploited many times.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, my PC can't run most AAA games so i wont
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Most of the modern AAA games
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I also heard one of the Prince of Persia games was so unfinished that it required the "24/7 online" drm so a puzzle could be done and the game could be finished. And that when the Ubisoft servers were closed the (cracked) game was impossible to finish or something like that
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, That's extra scummy. Ubisoft nowadays ship out incomplete games like Skull and Bones which was being worked on for nearly a decade now.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i think they have been doing that since late 2000s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Either that or their old games were unfinished aswell but we can't notice it
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I like that games can be fixed after the fact, hate that it's being abused via beta tests... And DLC... I was a 7800 owner back in the day and loved Impossible Mission, turns out I couldn't beat it because it was actually impossible lol
    I never knew about it at the time but a fixed version was available but you had to mail in your broken copy lol
    So that version is semi rare
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I have a rom of the ds version of impossible mission
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, I have a rom of the ds version of impossible mission