• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

[POLL] 2020 U.S. Presidential Election

For whom will/would you vote?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lacius

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With the general election season underway, for whom will/would you vote and why?

For the poll, I listed the presumptive nominees from the four political parties that have ballot access to 270 or more electoral votes and therefore have a technical chance at winning, as of August 11, assuming there isn’t a contingent election.

I recommend taking the iSideWith Quiz to see which candidate's policy positions you are most in alignment with.

It should go without saying, but please remember to keep your discussions civil.

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trump.

No I'm not a Trump Supporter but dealing with Trump for 4 years I kinda know what to expect and I can ride it out with another 4 years. Biden I don't really remember him actually doing anything in office as a VP so I'm not too sure if he has enough leadership to run the country. If Covid-19 never happened Trump would have definitely won with flying colors but it looks like Bien would win. I'm all for the Economy getting back stronger again just like it was before the Covid-19 hit. I just feel like Biden is just going to be a puppet and just make silly choices I personally don't feel he would be a good leader. I rather deal with Trump than deal with Biden.

At the end of the day most Dems say they are for the working man but are they really? Most of them are already millionaires so they wouldn't understand how middle class feels and how they operate. The stimulus checks are a joke because how far can $1200 get you that isn't even half of my semi-monthly paycheck. I work very hard for the things that I have and I don't look for handouts with that being said I rather deal with Trump because he is already in office versus voting for Biden. At least I can say about Trump he speaks his mind and he isn't going to be a puppet I just seeing Biden being controlled and not making his own decision.

A man of Joe Biden status has no reason talking to Cardi B about her "input" sheesh!

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Trump.

No I'm not a Trump Supporter but dealing with Trump for 4 years I kinda know what to expect and I can ride it out with another 4 years. Biden I don't really remember him actually doing anything in office as a VP so I'm not too sure if he has enough leadership to run the country. If Covid-19 never happened Trump would have definitely won with flying colors but it looks like Bien would win. I'm all for the Economy getting back stronger again just like it was before the Covid-19 hit. I just feel like Biden is just going to be a puppet and just make silly choices I personally don't feel he would be a good leader. I rather deal with Trump than deal with Biden.

At the end of the day most Dems say they are for the working man but are they really? Most of them are already millionaires so they wouldn't understand how middle class feels and how they operate. The stimulus checks are a joke because how far can $1200 get you that isn't even half of my semi-monthly paycheck. I work very hard for the things that I have and I don't look for handouts with that being said I rather deal with Trump because he is already in office versus voting for Biden. At least I can say about Trump he speaks his mind and he isn't going to be a puppet I just seeing Biden being controlled and not making his own decision.

A man of Joe Biden status has no reason talking to Cardi B about her "input" sheesh!
Pretty much every sentence in this is speculative and or wrong. ;)

'Knowing what you get with someone' is a popular election motive. Even though the sentiment is mostly wrong. (Essentially more of the same, until something happens, and then still more of the same, with Trump, because he didnt realize that something happened, and then more of the same, because he locked the experts away from public view. ;) And then more of the same - ups, country is in crisis. )

Putting up 'not enough leadership skills' as your main voting motiv is pretty much outright dumb. (Basically something you could say of any person, without ever having thought about them for a minute. And in essence something that favours an authoritarian candidate - in a democratic system.)

Claiming an unprovable negative. (Would have won with high marks, if not for Covid).

Bunch of 'I feel' instead of arguments.

Most democrats are millionairs. (Do you understand how statistics work?) edit: Usually only true for senators, and there on the republican and democratic side alike.

Wants back the world from before a thing happened.

Makes conspiracy theorist assertions (Biden just a puppet (yes and so is Trump, very few exceptions in US history ;) - you can usually identify the puppets, by being part of the political apparatus for more than 40 years (compromising every day of the week), or by them having absolutely no idea whats going on, and then following financiers, and power elites that guide their behavior. While spending most of their day 'signing decrees' and playing golf ;) (or watching fox news to catch up.. ;) )).

Blames the 1200 USD stimulus on democrats (republicans made sure you'll get less in the future).

At least Trump speaks his mind. Trump is officially the US president that lied most often. Currently he is making up Corona facts at press conferences again, where any scientific advisers are barred from showing up. The reason why you believe that is, that he is using 'popular language' - 'he speaks like us' - he still lies all day, even when he doest have to, but he speaks like us.
--

Only remaining point - "he was good for the economy", essentially no, he made a free trade deal with india (so now your construction jobs go to mexico and india), he did a few PR stunts where he gave corporations money, to hold production in country a little longer (or bring back some 100 jobs at one facility), he gave tax cuts to the rich, which resulted in wall street having a little boom (stock buybacks), while none of it was felt in main street. (Money basically didnt reach the real world economy. (See wage distribution/development with inflation calculated out, even in income brackets, if you must. Depending on your income bracket - this one could be debated. (Do you make money from stock dividents?))

Also he escalated the trade war with china, which never is great for the economy - but may have been necessary (saying regardless of who you vote for, that you will not change).
-

So essentially you are factually wrong on pretty much every single point.

But the democratic system says, you still get a vote, because you aught to 'feel out' which one of two candidates is good for you. So you get a feeling of being part of an important decision, so you dont revolt.

The key is, if none of your statement actually includes any aspect of an election program - chances are you know nothing about politics, but you can still participate in that system.

edit: src for economic development under Trump:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-45827430

Last edited by notimp,

BeniBel

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Let's hope Trump will win. Often, it doesn't really matter who wins, as little really changes. But for the first time, I truly fear what will will happen to society should Biden win.

From the moment Trump won in 2016, the democrats have been going more extreme by the day. Society already has come to the point, where making a positive comment about Trump labels you as a racist, and can get you into trouble or fired. That's no longer a democracy. It suprised me how far it even goes. News stationststations twist newsor makes it up, college professors who manipulate the youth...

For example Covid-19, remember how the world bashed Trump when he restricted travel from Europe back in March. Canada even promoted Europeans were more than welcome there. Not even a month after that, everyone was yelling why Trump didn't close the borders... And there are dozen of events just like that.

The greatest danger in today's society, is extreme left ideology.

However, politics make people blind. You have your preference and magnify all bad of the others, and minimize the errors of those you support. But I think in all objectivity, noone can say Trump has been bad for America.

GhostLatte

GBAtemp's Official Van Master™
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's hope Trump will win. Often, it doesn't really matter who wins, as little really changes. But for the first time, I truly fear what will will happen to society should Biden win.

From the moment Trump won in 2016, the democrats have been going more extreme by the day. Society already has come to the point, where making a positive comment about Trump labels you as a racist, and can get you into trouble or fired. That's no longer a democracy. It suprised me how far it even goes. News stationststations twist newsor makes it up, college professors who manipulate the youth...

For example Covid-19, remember how the world bashed Trump when he restricted travel from Europe back in March. Canada even promoted Europeans were more than welcome there. Not even a month after that, everyone was yelling why Trump didn't close the borders... And there are dozen of events just like that.

The greatest danger in today's society, is extreme left ideology.

However, politics make people blind. You have your preference and magnify all bad of the others, and minimize the errors of those you support. But I think in all objectivity, noone can say Trump has been bad for America.
The over 160,000 deaths speak for themselves.

BeniBel

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The over 160,000 deaths speak for themselves.

The US has a population of over 300.000.000 people, so it comes down to 500 deaths/1.000.000 population. For example, Belgium hasdhas that.

Numbers never lie, but you have to put them in the correct context. Are those numbers high? Well yes, but they aren't the worst in the world.

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Why is Kamala Harris constantly called "black"?
Look up her father:
OIP.lPshAEmHwSTCrUdIWcZcPgHaFl

He is Jamacain, probably similar to Obama (European and Subsaharan African ancestry). If my guess is correct, she would be 25% Subsaharan African. The rest is Caucasian/Indian/Arab. It´s like calling Bruce Lee a European/German.

Last edited by UltraDolphinRevolution,

GhostLatte

GBAtemp's Official Van Master™
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The US has a population of over 300.000.000 people, so it comes down to 500 deaths/1.000.000 population. For example, Belgium hasdhas that.

Numbers never lie, but you have to put them in the correct context. Are those numbers high? Well yes, but they aren't the worst in the world.
If Trump took the virus seriously, they would have have never been this high.

DBlaze

I don't know what i'm doing.
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just out of pure morbid curiosity I would've want to see Kanye actually doing the effort and then win, just to see what kind of shit happens next. Man that would be a show.

Also, thinking a virus can be contained by politics is naive. Trump handles/handled it like an idiot, but wether you like it or not, this was always going to happen because there's too many idiots on the planet.

Lacius

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Belgium only has a handful of COVID-19 deaths per day these days (they had 7 yesterday). The United States had 1,500 people die from COVID-19 yesterday. There's no comparing the two responses. Belgium had a federal response, and the United States did not, and it continues to not have one.

With regard to government responses to COVID-19, it is also a mistake to compare deaths/1M population between a country with 12M citizens and a country with 331M citizens. It's numerically analogous to comparing coin flip odds with a trial of two flips and a trial of 50 flips. The two-flip trial could realistically be 100% heads, which does not reflect the actual odds, but the 50-flip trial is likely going to be close to about 25 heads and 25 tails. Here are some fair COVID-19 comparisons:
  • China, 1.4B pop, 3 deaths/1M pop
  • India, 1.4B pop, 33 deaths/1M pop
  • USA, 331M pop, 507 deaths/1M pop
  • Indonesia, 274M pop, 22 deaths/1M pop
  • Pakistan, 221M pop, 28 deaths/1M pop
  • Brazil, 213M pop, 485 deaths/1M pop
  • Nigeria, 207M pop, 5 deaths/1M pop
The Trump administration has utterly failed, as has the Bolsonaro administration from Brazil. These are also the two leaders who did not take COVID-19 seriously at all.

Last edited by Lacius,

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible he will win? Yes. Is it inevitable? No. The FiveThirtyEight model, which was just posted, gives Trump a 29% chance of winning. It's significant, but it's not inevitable.

And on today's date in 2016, FiveThirtyEight gave Donald Trump a 12.5% chance.

Anyway I won't be voting for anyone.

I'll be voting AGAINST.

Lacius

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And on today's date in 2016, FiveThirtyEight gave Donald Trump a 12.5% chance.
I think you and I would agree that Trump's victory in 2016 was not inevitable, and Trump's victory in 2020 is not inevitable. That was my point.

Also, just because Trump won in 2016 doesn't change the fact that he had a 12.5% chance of winning as of August 12, 2016. Improbable things happen all the time. Flipping a coin three times in a row and landing heads all three times is also a 12.5% chance.
Note: Trump's odds were up to 28.6% by election day.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1