?

For whom will/would you vote?

This poll will close on Nov 4, 2020 at 8:41 PM.
  1. Donald Trump and Mike Pence (Republican Party)

35.8%
  2. Joe Biden and Kamala Harris (Democratic Party)

49.8%
  3. Jo Jorgensen and Spike Cohen (Libertarian Party)

2.4%
  4. Howie Hawkins and Angela Walker (Green Party)

3.8%
  5. Other

8.2%
  6. 416 voter(s)
  1. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Nice conspiracy theory there. A shame it doesn't add up, though. The black lives matter occupation was relatively small here, and just a show of sympathy with the US protesters. There were never mass protests here, and because our politicians knew their job, they weren't antagonized. After a week, two weeks tops, they just stopped protesting. And this was long before a second wave even started emerging, so if I wanted to play devil's advocate, I'd use those statistics to say that we need MORE black lives matter protests to reduce our covid cases. :tpi:
    No...if you really want to know, our second wave happened because of two reasons:
    1) the increase of the "bubble" to 10, 15 and perhaps even more (communication wasn't exactly clear. More importantly, it was to check "on a weekly basis", which meant you could visit 15 different people every week).
    2) certain ethnic groups (of Morocans and Turkish origin) taking the rules as suggestions.

The latter is rather controversial (it's barely mentioned in the news in order not to be branded 'racist'). Either way...the second wave simply didn't follow suit with the "mass" black lives matter protests in Belgium (all...two hundred of them (?) :unsure: ).

Can't say much on the US in terms of comparing covid-cases with BLM, but your cases were never going down "fast", no matter your definition (fuck...according to Fauci, you're still in your first wave). Oh, and experts also agree that reopening the economy too fast was a factor. Could be that BLM protests were also a factor, but I honestly wouldn't know. And sorry, but I don't trust you on face value on that.

IncredulousP likes this.
  2. Xzi

Xzi GBAtemp's Resident Plok Expert

United States
    Firstly, that's the dumbest possible method to decide which candidate is worth voting for, and secondly, it depends entirely on where in the United States you're at. If you park a Nissan Leaf with a Biden sticker on it at Sturgis right now, it's not just gonna get vandalized, it'll get totaled within five minutes.

3. Rail Fighter

Rail Fighter GBAtemp Regular

Angola
  4. Lacius

OP Lacius GBAtemp Legend

United States
    Bringing up Democrats from 100-120 years ago is only convenient for your position if you ignore Realignment, which was caused by the Civil Rights Movement. In other words, with regard to matters of race, yesterday's Democrats are today's Republicans.

White supremacist and right-wing terrorism makes up the vast majority of terrorism in this country, whether or not they identify as KKK.

I'm uninterested in anecdotes. BLM is "a decentralized movement advocating for non-violent civil disobedience in protest against incidents of police brutality and all racially motivated violence against Black people." It is, factually, not a domestic terror operation.

My point, which I'll return to, is that vandalism against a position is not a reason to support that position. Regardless of the hyperbolic falsehoods you believe about BLM, if Trumpers are vandalizing BLM material, doesn't that mean, per your criteria, that you must now support BLM and be against Trump?

The aggregate of national polls shows Biden ahead of Trump by 8.4% as of today.

This website is drastically out of date (it's from 2018, before Trump's mishandling of the COVID-19 and the economic downturn). Many of the points on the website are also Obama accomplishments, not Trump accomplishments, particular with regard to the points about the economy.

IncredulousP and nxwing like this.
  5. BeastMode6

BeastMode6 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Neither. They both suck, like usual.

6. Hanafuda

Hanafuda GBAtemp Psycho!

United States

Those are just a bunch of internet posers doing cosplay for a day. They thought better of it after they chose to go out for one day of ACTUALLY being a bigot in the real world. When they tried to hold a second "Unite the Right" rally a year later, 10 people showed up.

They don't hold a candle to the menace that was the real KKK circa 1900-1920.

And they don't hold a candle to the menace that IS the current Antifa and BLM riot/arson/thieving spree.

DarthDub and CallmeBerto like this.
  7. tofast4u

tofast4u GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I'm voting for Trump, hopefully we can keep Pennsylvania red.

Azerus_Kun likes this.
  8. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Official Snake™ CEO of Snakes

Antarctica
    The issue for me is that Joe is another middle of the road Democrat that really isn't promising to change anything. He's already promised to not defund the police, he promised to not take down the current pieces of Trump's wall, and so many other middles of the road promises. Not to mention his history of creepy touching and sexual assault on women and supporting extremely racist bills. Biden is literally every wrong with the Democrats and continues to make it harder to support him. Although he's obviously better than Trump on LGBT+ issues, that's just one issue and it's hard on me to put that issue aside, but I have to when I look at the bigger picture. Basically, I don't want Trump, Trump is a threat my wellbeing as a trans person, but Biden is literally the worst Democrat they could have gone with. It's harder to see Biden as a "lesser of two evils" when that lesser is barely even by a fraction.

IncredulousP and nxwing like this.
  9. Hanafuda

Hanafuda GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    90 straight days of burning, violence, and stealing is not anectdotal anymore. Hiding behind purported mission statements doesn't change the fact you're speaking in defense of a marxist revolutionary force intent on disrupting an election through fear and threat.

10. Lacius

OP Lacius GBAtemp Legend

United States
    Biden was not my first (or second, or third) choice during the Democratic primaries, but he's significantly different from Trump.
    1. Biden has plans to combat climate change; Trump thinks climate change is a hoax.
    2. Biden wants to increase access to affordable health care (despite not supporting Medicare for All); Trump does not.
    3. Biden wants to preserve and strengthen Social Security; Trump just acted to kill it and wants to make those actions permanent.
    4. Biden wants to protect a woman's right to health care; Trump does not.
    5. Biden supports LGBT rights; Trump does not.
    He's not Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren, or whoever you liked, but he's approximately 80-90% in alignment with more progressive candidates, and he's nowhere close to Trump. Hell, his likely Supreme Court nomination(s) are reason enough alone to vote for Biden.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

BLM has not been causing "90 straight days of burning, violence, and stealing." They're not a terrorist group.

11. 0x3000027E

0x3000027E GBAtemp Regular

United States
    With all due respect Lacius, our federal government is neither structured/designed nor built with the ability to enforce such policy on a global level. Even if some federal mandate were issued, a number of states would reject the terms, as is in their right.
    Certainly, there are other (many) countries with governments in power that can exercise a global mandate and enforce it to the fullest extent. Yes, that is true. Very true.

blaydes99 likes this.
  12. Lacius

OP Lacius GBAtemp Legend

United States
    The federal government had the authority to institute physical distancing mandates, mask mandates, etc. on a country-wide level. They could have developed testing and contact tracing procedures. They could have done more to lessen the economic fallout. The Trump administration could have also spent the last 3-4 years doing something other than slashing social safety nets and epidemic response teams.

The idea that Trump was powerless to do anything is a myth.

IncredulousP, 8BitWonder and Xzi like this.
  13. Rail Fighter

Rail Fighter GBAtemp Regular

Angola
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/upshot/presidential-polls-forecast.html

14. Delerious

Delerious GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Writing in Yang.

nxwing and slaphappygamer like this.
  15. Lacius

OP Lacius GBAtemp Legend

United States
    Per FiveThirtyEight, Trump had about a 30% chance of winning the 2016 election (coincidentally, FiveThirtyEight's 2020 forecast put out today gives Trump about a 30% chance of winning this year, while acknowledging he would have about a 7% chance of winning if the election were today). 30% is not insignificant; it's greater than the chance of flipping a coin heads twice in a row. Just because he won doesn't mean the odds were wrong.

Also, the link you posted is irrelevant to my post you were responding to.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Yang endorsed Joe Biden.

slaphappygamer and Xzi like this.
  16. Delerious

Delerious GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yeah I know. I'm more only doing it because of my apathy toward the mainstream choices and because I like Yang, despite my mixed feelings on UBI. I already know it's either going to be Trump or Biden, but I'm going with my personal choice regardless.

Last edited by Delerious, Aug 12, 2020
    IncredulousP likes this.
  17. Ibcap

Ibcap GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If Trump had tried to enforce safe policy at the start of the pandemic and particular states had refused to listen we would still be in a much favorable situation. To begin with Trump sets an example for people, especially many of the anti science republicans who are denying the virus is a big deal. When he spent the first month talking about how the virus was the flu and would just go away it reinforced their anti science and anti safety narrative that they can go out and party and dont need masks.

And on top of that most states would probably have listened to Trump if he pushed for a policy requiring masks and other precautions. Democrats would listen because they have been pro virus safety since the start and republicans would listen because doing otherwise would be going against Trump.

CallmeBerto and slaphappygamer like this.
  18. Lacius

OP Lacius GBAtemp Legend

United States
    Yang and Biden are probably about 80% in alignment on policy, while Yang and Trump are probably about 10% in alignment on policy. Even if you want to look at it like a lesser of two evils situation, the lesser of two evils is still less evil, by definition.

19. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

United States
    People keep forgetting that splitting votes is a thing.

20. Lacius

OP Lacius GBAtemp Legend

United States
    What are you referring to specifically.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Presidential, Election, [POLL]