Hacking Hardware Picofly - a HWFLY switch modchip

swutch

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I think CLK was the problem. I opened up my broken oled and the resistor that was missing read at 3.5k which is the same that I had soldered on there.

How can CLK go wrong? You just scrape the tiny via and put solder on it? What could I have possibly done wrong in CLK to cause pink screen?
Maybe too much heat.
How much did you set?

Dee87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think CLK was the problem. I opened up my broken oled and the resistor that was missing read at 3.5k which is the same that I had soldered on there.

How can CLK go wrong? You just scrape the tiny via and put solder on it? What could I have possibly done wrong in CLK to cause pink screen?
maybe u scrape to much and break the connection on the via that goes to the second layer or on the via that goes to the apu , this has all already happend

Dee87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I set 375 because this is what I was using for my previous project and I forgot to change it.

What temperature should I use? I didn't know you could burn the CLK point.
its depends on what solder u use , u can use 375 for a short period of time that should not be a problem

i use 250 but i also work with low melt solder

QuiTim

Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
I set 375 because this is what I was using for my previous project and I forgot to change it.

What temperature should I use? I didn't know you could burn the CLK point.
It should not be a problem as long as you don't keep the iron on it too long. I solder everything on this mod at +350 no problem so far.
Do you have any pictures of your work, maybe we can see something that you missed.

Blakejansen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its depends on what solder u use , u can use 375 for a short period of time that should not be a problem

i use 250 but i also work with low melt solder

First time I tried this mod everything was sticking on easy. Didn't struggle soldering at all. This time I forgot to use microscope for this point and couldn't remember if I used it before. Also my both my tweezers were badly bent and I couldn't hold the wires with them so I used my fingers.
How do you know if you burned "CLK"? I barely scratch it, just enough to see the copper on the microscope.

I desoldered the 3.5k OHMS resistor, but on my broken oledswitch I measured the point on that resistor and it had the same reading as the resistor I desoldered. I could not attach another resistor after that and I gave up.

Using the solder wire

Post automatically merged:

It should not be a problem as long as you don't keep the iron on it too long. I solder everything on this mod at +350 no problem so far.
Do you have any pictures of your work, maybe we can see something that you missed.

I am no longer in possession of the switch.

What would you recommend going forward?

I am a hobbyist so I won't be sending it in since this is the only way I blow off steam.

What tweezers should I get? My last set got bent and could no longer hold wires.

Dee87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
First time I tried this mod everything was sticking on easy. Didn't struggle soldering at all. This time I forgot to use microscope for this point and couldn't remember if I used it before. Also my both my tweezers were badly bent and I couldn't hold the wires with them so I used my fingers.
How do you know if you burned "CLK"? I barely scratch it, just enough to see the copper on the microscope.

I desoldered the 3.5k OHMS resistor, but on my broken oledswitch I measured the point on that resistor and it had the same reading as the resistor I desoldered. I could not attach another resistor after that and I gave up.

Using the solder wire

I am no longer in possession of the switch.

What would you recommend going forward?

I am a hobbyist so I won't be sending it in since this is the only way I blow off steam.

What tweezers should I get? My last set got bent and could no longer hold wires.

Well if u burnt it completely off u should see it cause no solder sticks to it anymore .

And if u destroy the trace u should be able to see the trace ripped.

Always use flux, the rosin in the solder is most of the time not enough.

Never used the solder that u showed I always use unleaded though.

The original oled cmd resistor is 4.7kohm , so eather ur multimeter is wrong or maybe batteries is low mine shows wrong values when its low so maybe this is ur case.

But since its a pullup the 3.5 should do the job.

So u don't have the switch anymore?

Always use the microscope so u see what ur doing specially on those small joints

abal1000x

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
a.png

To be precise here the datasheet from the samsung emmc KLMCG

The pullup resistor for cmd line should be in range 4.7K to 100K.

Reactions: Dee87

Blakejansen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well if u burnt it completely off u should see it cause no solder sticks to it anymore .

And if u destroy the trace u should be able to see the trace ripped.

Always use flux, the rosin in the solder is most of the time not enough.

Never used the solder that u showed I always use unleaded though.

The original oled cmd resistor is 4.7kohm , so eather ur multimeter is wrong or maybe batteries is low mine shows wrong values when its low so maybe this is ur case.

But since its a pullup the 3.5 should do the job.

So u don't have the switch anymore?

Always use the microscope so u see what ur doing specially on those small joints

Solder sticks to it, but I don't have the switch anymore.

It is a personal goal for me to mod an OLED.

Last time I tried this all the soldering was easy and I would have had the install if I hadn't cut the chip.

This time solder didn't want to stick.

I could never reattach a resistor after the first one I successfully replaced.

My tweezers are crooked and the resistor would not stay.

CLK point was barely scratched. I scratch just enough for the copper.

Want to try modding the switch and getting it done successfully.

CLK worries me though, because I thought the CLK point was fine. Is there any way to confirm with a multimeter if your CLK point is fine before plugging it into the mod chip?

Replacing a resistor that small with only a soldering iron is probably the hardest challenge I have encountered in my 6 month soldering journey. Absolutely need to get a hot air station.

Do you use hot air station to replace resistors or soldering iron?

abal1000x

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip

Last time I tried this all the soldering was easy and I would have had the install if I hadn't cut the chip.

CLK worries me though, because I thought the CLK point was fine. Is there any way to confirm with a multimeter if your CLK point is fine before plugging it into the mod chip?
Just make sure in microscope the clk pad doesn't ripped.
If you're confident that its okay, than the problem lay on something else.

The clk pad is risky because its a small via connected to the lower layer. If the via broken then the clk connection between cpu and emmc are disconnected.

There is no easy way to check the continuity of clk line except by take the emmc out, and measure using multimeter the connection between the clk ball point and the clk trace that goes to the cpu.

Replacing a resistor that small with only a soldering iron is probably the hardest challenge I have encountered in my 6 month soldering journey. Absolutely need to get a hot air station.

a.png

b.png

Last edited by abal1000x,

sergiochendry

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Picofly stored the payload to the emmc, the nosd picofly ones.
When you change to hwfly, the hwfly just run those stored payload, hence the picofly nosd.
When you flash the hwfly firmware, and run it, the firmware will store their payload to the emmc, overwriting the existing, and run it, hence the spacecraft-nx.

Those 2 socket price alone is at $3-$4.
The rp2040 and the supplement is around $4
The pcb and flex around $2-4.
So totals its around $9-$12.
Thats without the electricity and equipment invetation to solder the component to the board.

So if you got that hwfly core at around $15 they have cut the margin so small lol :D
Very good explanation thx @abal1000x
This is the answer i was looking for
I’m just curious whats happening

Tanji

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I am trying to upgrade from firmware 2.67 via toolbox. I get a message about a successful firmware, I reboot the switch and it is loaded into OFW. I reboot again and normally boot into hekate. but in
toolbox i have old version 2.67 displayed.
FW hash 0x8A9C94A8.
Does this mean that the firmware has failed and I should only flash the rp2040 via USB? I used the latest update.bin from github.

I am trying to upgrade from firmware 2.67 via toolbox. I get a message about a successful firmware, I reboot the switch and it is loaded into OFW. I reboot again and normally boot into hekate. but in
toolbox i have old version 2.67 displayed.
FW hash 0x8A9C94A8.
Does this mean that the firmware has failed and I should only flash the rp2040 via USB? I used the latest update.bin from github.
haiii, i have similar problem. Are you solve that ? please help me

please help me, I try to update firmware from 2.67 to 2.73(update bin) using pico_toolbox. It say success but my fw still in 2.67.

Last edited by Tanji,

Dee87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just make sure in microscope the clk pad doesn't ripped.
If you're confident that its okay, than the problem lay on something else.

The clk pad is risky because its a small via connected to the lower layer. If the via broken then the clk connection between cpu and emmc are disconnected.

There is no easy way to check the continuity of clk line except by take the emmc out, and measure using multimeter the connection between the clk ball point and the clk trace that goes to the cpu.

View attachment 388769
View attachment 388770

Mann I gotta say this you are the best ;-)

The best way for me to solder small smd resistors is with a hot air gun and flux. There is no easier way.

Well get some new tweezers they don't cost that much ;-)

Why did u cut up the chip? xd

Eds05

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello Guys,

Someone tried to replace the IR led on the top of the console by another one to have directly the chip led indications at this place ? Like the mod for the Lite one.

This IR led is usefull in which case ? Maybe possible to find an RGB LED combined with an IR to do this mod and preserve the IR function.

Attachments

• kmc8fz57.png
    kmc8fz57.png
    234.7 KB · Views: 12

Dee87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello Guys,

Someone tried to replace the IR led on the top of the console by another one to have directly the chip led indications at this place ? Like the mod for the Lite one.

This IR led is usefull in which case ? Maybe possible to find an RGB LED combined with an IR to do this mod and preserve the IR function.
why dont u just take the Led from the raspi lay a few wire on top and the u have the Led up there
Check This Out !!! i think thats something ur looking for

deeps

Trophies
XP
Country
Hello Guys,

That's the brightness sensor, not an IR led. You need it if you want automatic screen brightness to keep working.

Reactions: LogicalMadness

rogras

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Check your MOSFETs.

@abal1000x I've read everything you said about dat0 adaptor, Someone once shared the pinout of the eMMC and claimed that shifting the dat0 adaptor as far left as possible is the safest bet. Since the point left to dat0 is empty. Do you agree?

One thing I always do is cutting the traces of the two circular pads next to the eMMC. It became a habit and I haven't got any black screen on OLED. My issue was blue screen and have figured it out.
Yes here the same - RP2040 OLED Installation - At the NAND Backup over Hakete the screen has freeze at 83% and now OFW allways in bluescreen. The RP2040 works fine but don't start anything from SD.

CFW = Blackscreen
OFW = Bluescreen

Caused maybe by a short circuit at Dat0 and Dat1

Anyone know a picofly firmware that boots direct into hakete ? Load from RP2040 Chip and not from SD.

floxcap

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Yes here the same - RP2040 OLED Installation - At the NAND Backup over Hakete the screen has freeze at 83% and now OFW allways in bluescreen. The RP2040 works fine but don't start anything from SD.

CFW = Blackscreen
OFW = Bluescreen

Caused maybe by a short circuit at Dat0 and Dat1

Anyone know a picofly firmware that boots direct into hakete ? Load from RP2040 Chip and not from SD.
Try ums-loader as payload.bin

Reactions: QuiTim

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: how are you @BigOnYa ??