Tutorial  Updated

OTP Guide

Full Guide Release!

https://plailect.github.io/OTP/

All regions now supported!

If you appreciate this guide and the work I put into maintaining it, I accept donations through both Bitcoin and PayPal.

If you felt like the guide helped you out then I'd really appreciate it! If I get enough I may buy a 2DS for testing hardware stuff so I don't break another N3DS.

If the guide didn't help you out then I'm really sorry about that :(

Last edited by Plailect,

mashers

Stubborn ape
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm having a problem with the command line stuff with the bricked emuNAND.bin. I've got 3DSFAT16tool, emuNAND.bin, nand.fat16_0x4_.xorpad and nand.fat16_0x5_.xorpad all in the same folder. Here's what happens when I run the command:

Code:
./3DSFAT16tool -d -n emuNAND.bin ctr.bin nand.fat16_0x5_.xorpad

3DSFAT16tool (C version) by d0k3
--------------------------------

dumping & decrypting emuNAND.bin
from -n
using ctr.bin

open ctr.bin failed!

Any ideas why this is happening?

noctis90210

Trophies
XP
Country
basically, yeah... we'll still need something like pasta to boot sysNAND from a9lh but ReiNAND already works with it :)
does arm9loaderhax already working/released?
is there an easy way to get the otp file on n3ds without downgrading? such as using decrypting tools?
im afraid i might get bricked on the process of downgrading...

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
does arm9loaderhax already working/released?
is there an easy way to get the otp file on n3ds without downgrading? such as using decrypting tools?
im afraid i might get bricked on the process of downgrading...
yes it's been sitting on github for quite awhile ( https://github.com/delebile/arm9loaderhax ). Unfortunately, there's no easy way without a downgrade, sorry

mashers

Stubborn ape
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm having a problem with the command line stuff with the bricked emuNAND.bin. I've got 3DSFAT16tool, emuNAND.bin, nand.fat16_0x4_.xorpad and nand.fat16_0x5_.xorpad all in the same folder. Here's what happens when I run the command:

Code:
./3DSFAT16tool -d -n emuNAND.bin ctr.bin nand.fat16_0x5_.xorpad

3DSFAT16tool (C version) by d0k3
--------------------------------

dumping & decrypting emuNAND.bin
from -n
using ctr.bin

open ctr.bin failed!

Any ideas why this is happening?
Wait, I reformatted my sysnand and SD card after dumping the xorpads... Do I need to dump them again due to formatting the sysnand and SD card?

fafaffy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, just letting you guys know:
- First and foremost, I know what I did was stupid, however I was going to hardmod my 3DS eventually so to me it doesn't make a difference. I went into this knowing I was riding on a slim chance, and more likely than not it would brick (either by chance or a dumb decision)

I downgraded to 2.1 successfully, and successfully dumped my OTP, though I soft-bricked my 3DS by updating to 6.1U via Pokemon Y.
I get an "Error has occured" on startup, and recovery mode won't work. What does this mean? If you don't have the time/money to hard mod, you should wait for a stable process. I knew the chances of me bricking were high, but it wasn't a concern of mine as I honestly love tinkering with my 3DS more than I do playing with it.

tl;dr, don't update via pokemon (on New 3DS), bricking will ensure.

WilliamO7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
- First and foremost, I know what I did was stupid, however I was going to hardmod my 3DS eventually so to me it doesn't make a difference. I went into this knowing I was riding on a slim chance, and more likely than not it would brick (either by chance or a dumb decision)

I downgraded to 2.1 successfully, and successfully dumped my OTP, though I soft-bricked my 3DS by updating to 6.1U via Pokemon Y.
I get an "Error has occured" on startup, and recovery mode won't work. What does this mean? If you don't have the time/money to hard mod, you should wait for a stable process. I knew the chances of me bricking were high, but it wasn't a concern of mine as I honestly love tinkering with my 3DS more than I do playing with it.

TBH with what I've seen, this should only be attempted with O3DS (not 2DS) with gamecart with update 4.x to 6.x, if you don't feel/want to hard mod it, and you feel like dancing with the devil for a bit.
Otherwise, you should stay away (especially since we might be able to get the OTP hash very soon...)

Reactions: Sev501 and fafaffy

felipejfc

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

There are reports saying that upgrading with pokemon would work... this shit is getting very cofusing

fafaffy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TBH with what I've seen, this should only be attempted with O3DS (not 2DS) with gamecart with update 4.x to 6.x, if you don't feel/want to hard mod it, and you feel like dancing with the devil for a bit.
Otherwise, you should stay away (especially since we might be able to get the OTP hash very soon...)
Very much this.

Only reason I felt ballsy is because I want to tinker with homebrew and some of the things I want to tinker with will probably end up bricking me anyway, so the hardmod for me was a yes or yes, question was when.

There are reports saying that upgrading with pokemon would work... this shit is getting very cofusing
Yeah, it's the only reason I decided to try. It may have been that I was on a Frankenstein firmware, or by pure luck. Whatever the case, just know it's not 100% secure.

mashers

Stubborn ape
Trophies
XP
Country
Wait, I reformatted my sysnand and SD card after dumping the xorpads... Do I need to dump them again due to formatting the sysnand and SD card?
Nope, recreating the xorpad made no difference. I'm still getting "open ctr.bin failed!" when I try to run the 3DSFAT16tool command :(

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Plailect So I'm attempting this again and now the 3DSFAT16tool step works but this
  • 3DSFAT16tool.exe -d -n emuNAND.bin ctr.bin nand.fat16_0x5_xorpad
  • 3DSFAT16tool.exe -i -o emuNAND.bin ctr.bin nand.fat16_0x4_xorpad
  • move emuNAND.bin sysNAND.bin
  • del ctr.bin
is incorrect it should say this

• 3DSFAT16tool.exe -d -n emuNAND.bin ctr.bin nand.fat16_0x5_.xorpad
  • 3DSFAT16tool.exe -i -o emuNAND.bin ctr.bin nand.fat16_0x4_.xorpad
  • move emuNAND.bin sysNAND.bin
  • del ctr.bin
im using the N3DS with Cubic Ninja tut.

mashers

Stubborn ape
Trophies
XP
Country
Try running cmd as admin or disabling UAC
AHA! Disabling UAC would mean rebooting my Mac IIRC, but doing it through administrator command prompt in a Windows VM worked! Thanks buddy! :)

Run just "./3DSFAT16tool" and tell me the output
It's working now, but thank you for the reply. To answer your question though, it just provided the syntax information for the command.

Reactions: Xenon Hacks

Audioboxer

Trophies
XP
Country
AHA! Disabling UAC would mean rebooting my Mac IIRC, but doing it through administrator command prompt in a Windows VM worked! Thanks buddy! :)

It's working now, but thank you for the reply. To answer your question though, it just provided the syntax information for the command.

Good luck, the nail biting moment has still to come!

Interestingly though, it seems everyone doing it on N3DS so far has had the process go fine. We've not gotten a big enough survey base yet, but so far most bricks seem to be from trying to upgrade off of 2.1, not the downgrade itself.

mashers

Stubborn ape
Trophies
XP
Country
Good luck, the nail biting moment has still to come!

Interestingly though, it seems everyone doing it on N3DS so far has had the process go fine. We've not gotten a big enough survey base yet, but so far most bricks seem to be from trying to upgrade off of 2.1, not the downgrade itself.
Well, since I've got a hard mod the worst I have to fear is wasted time and minor inconvenience :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: No Bueno