Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
thegame07 said:
Can you use a 1TB drive? if so anyone got a link for one that's good/price that works? thanks
Yes you can use a 1TB drive, however the PS3 uses laptop drives. These are more expensive than desktop drives and their capacities aren't as high.

They're about $120 on newegg, though the only ones with reviews average 4/5 stars.

The highest size for an internal hard drive on all PS3s is supposedly 750GB according to sources on IRC.

1 TB should work as an external though.

ocdetective

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Rydian said:
The cnet article on replacing the drive mentions 1TB.
http://asia.cnet.com/digitalliving/tips/0,...032875-3,00.htm

A few years ago 500/750 was as large as they got, so older answers state that because there simply wasn't anything larger in the PS3's size.
Yes but the thickness is 12.5mm as opposed to standard 9.5mm. I believe that wont physically fit in the PS3?

ocdetective

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
The link you provided clearly states its a 12.5mm thick (they call it height) drive. A simple measurement of the aperture of the PS3 will show you what can fit in there.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
ocdetective said:
The link you provided clearly states its a 12.5mm thick (they call it height) drive. A simple measurement of the aperture of the PS3 will show you what can fit in there.
The link I gave... there's no instance of "12" in the article.

Joe88: So I take it 12.5 is abnormal?

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:

A few years ago 500/750 was as large as they got, so older answers state that because there simply wasn't anything larger in the PS3's size.

It only mentions 1 TB drives a bit in the comments, and they don't specifically say "Yes the PS3 will work with something as big as a 1TB hard drive".

EDIT: It might also be worth it to mention that the FTP server for the PS3 like filezilla, and it sometimes helps to put FTPD12345 as the username and anything as the password.

EDIT2: http://psgroove.com/?p=973, we still need to wait for an edited version of the backup manager though.

ocdetective

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Rydian said:

QUOTE(Rydian @ Sep 22 2010, 05:41 PM) Er, the link I gave uses the "160GB Momentus 5400.3"...
You mentioned 1TB and that was the only specific reference in your link to one. At this point in time I believe that is the only 2.5" 1TB internal hard drive available and it will not fit in the PS3 due to the size limitation.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
DeltaBurnt said:
It only mentions 1 TB drives a bit in the comments, and they don't specifically say "Yes the PS3 will work with something as big as a 1TB hard drive".That's page 3 which has the physical replacement.

In page one the article itself says...

QUOTEAs far as storage capacity goes, it doesn't make sense to go through the trouble of upgrading unless you go big: We're talking 250GB, 320GB, 500GB or even 1TB.

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
DeltaBurnt said:
It only mentions 1 TB drives a bit in the comments, and they don't specifically say "Yes the PS3 will work with something as big as a 1TB hard drive".That's page 3 which has the physical replacement.

QUOTEAs far as storage capacity goes, it doesn't make sense to go through the trouble of upgrading unless you go big: We're talking 250GB, 320GB, 500GB or even 1TB.

Just because they listed that doesn't mean they've proven it to be working.

ocdetective

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
DeltaBurnt said:
Rydian said:
DeltaBurnt said:

Just because they listed that doesn't mean they've proven it to be working.
Indeed in this case it has proven not to be.
Until a standard form factor 1TB 2.5" internal drive is released that is.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
DeltaBurnt said:
Just because they listed that doesn't mean they've proven it to be working.We know that 2.5" laptop drives work and we know that the PS3 will format it it's own way, what we don't know is the number limit.
Until a number limit is established, there's no number limit to speak of.

QUOTE(ocdetective @ Sep 22 2010, 09:33 AM) Indeed in this case it has proven not to be.
Until a standard form factor 1TB 2.5" internal drive is released that is.
Three are on newegg... and all of them are 12.5, you're right.

I'll add the note about the physical size to the FAQ (none of the 500GB drives I saw mentioned it which is which is why I thought they were so rare).

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bloodgod said:
Speaking of HDD replacement. Can the stock HDD be formatted and used as a regular HDD or did Sony cripple the thing?

You can reformat the stock hd. It's not particularly great in size or speed, so applications would be slightly limited.

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Got couple of questions (searched but couldn't find answers):

Can PAL machines play NTSC dumps? (I would imagine they can?)

Can we delete the update directory/files from the dumps on the HDD to save space?

Can PS3break be updated flashed to use peek/poke forked payload? (what apps are there to do this on the PC?)

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
KiiWii said:
Can PAL machines play NTSC dumps? (I would imagine they can?)I haven't heard, but my guess is currently no. Backup loaders for the Wii (for example) have to make special changes, and we're not to that point with the PS3 yet.

KiiWii said:
Can we delete the update directory/files from the dumps on the HDD to save space?I have heard about doing this and it met with success in at least one case, but I haven't seen many people trying.

QUOTE(KiiWii @ Sep 22 2010, 04:10 PM)
Can PS3break be updated flashed to use peek/poke forked payload? (what apps are there to do this on the PC?)
AFAIK no, none of the premade jailbreaks are updateable at all, and the PSgroove/freedom version is actually the most advanced, which is kinda of ironic.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/PMCaXL2sGpc?si=jAKEK_yJL318jk17 lol