Hacking NOOB PARADISE - ask away

Aigis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I've recently bought a new wii, finally got uneek+di and iso loading working using modmii's abstinence wizard. Just wondering how you get GCT's to work. I've done some searching and tried putting kenobiwii in USB:\SNEEK\ and the GCT file in USB:\WBFS\\codes.gct but it doesn't work.
U mean as cheats? Use Gecko OS homebrew and there is a specific folder structure (can't remember) to put the gct. If someone could tell him the folder structure, it would help him.

I tried running the Gecko OS App using postloader. Just a black screen. Nothing happens.
Dude run it through the HBC! No need to jump through hoops and launch it via PostLoader.

I read up some guides and they all say I have to install HBC on my real NAND and dump it, then install it to my NEEK NAND, and well I don't wan't to void my warranty just yet.

Is there no other alternative?

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Dude run it through the HBC! No need to jump through hoops and launch it via PostLoader.
I read up some guides and they all say I have to install HBC on my real NAND and dump it, then install it to my NEEK NAND, and well I don't wan't to void my warranty just yet.
Maybe just run the gecko OS directly (Whether that's through Letter Bomb or the smash hack or something like that.). I kinda think it needs a FakeSign bug present on IOS36 so it still may not work that way without having to do something first to kill your warranty.

I'm kinda thinking PostLoader is something that would support cheats by itself, though. Maybe go over and ask in the Postloader thread since I don't use Postloader myself.

Anon10W1z

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I've recently bought a new wii, finally got uneek+di and iso loading working using modmii's abstinence wizard. Just wondering how you get GCT's to work. I've done some searching and tried putting kenobiwii in USB:\SNEEK\ and the GCT file in USB:\WBFS\\codes.gct but it doesn't work.
U mean as cheats? Use Gecko OS homebrew and there is a specific folder structure (can't remember) to put the gct. If someone could tell him the folder structure, it would help him.

I tried running the Gecko OS App using postloader. Just a black screen. Nothing happens.

If you can run SNEEK, you can run bootmii, and if you can run bootmii, you can run unauthorized software on your Wii. Hate to break it to you, but your warranty's already toast.

Maybe just run the gecko OS directly (Whether that's through Letter Bomb or the smash hack or something like that.). I kinda think it needs a FakeSign bug present on IOS36 so it still may not work that way without having to do something first to kill your warranty.

I'm kinda thinking PostLoader is something that would support cheats by itself, though. Maybe go over and ask in the Postloader thread since I don't use Postloader myself.
PostLoader doesn't load Wii discs.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
If you can run SNEEK, you can run bootmii, and if you can run bootmii, you can run unauthorized software on your Wii. Hate to break it to you, but your warranty's already toast.
Isn't there any way to run some of that on the Wii without actually making any permanent changes to the Wii's NAND that Nintendo would find out about?

(This doesn't actually apply to me because my Wii's software was hacked up beyond all doubt before I even bought it used but just curious.)

Anon10W1z

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't there any way to run some of that on the Wii without actually making any permanent changes to the Wii's NAND that Nintendo would find out about?

(This doesn't actually apply to me because my Wii's software was hacked up beyond all doubt before I even bought it used but just curious.)
bootmii (even as an IOS) writes things to the NAND when installed. The only way to use SNEEK w/o modding is to:
1. Copy armboot.bin from SNEEK's files to root of SD card.
3. Rename the armboot.bin in root to bootmii_ios.bin
4. Download casper to SD card (make it a boot.elf on SD root).
5. Download any exploit to card.
6. Launch the exploit.
7. Profit!

Anon10W1z

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

bootmii (even as an IOS) writes things to the NAND when installed. The only way to use SNEEK w/o modding is to:
6. Launch the exploit.
7. Profit!
so what you're saying is since bootmii_ios.bin is still BootMii it still effects real NAND and not not just emuNAND? or does ModMii's abstinence wizard do something else?
Bootmii's IOS254 launches SD:\bootmii\armboot.bin. Casper can do that too.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country

6. Launch the exploit.
7. Profit!
so what you're saying is since bootmii_ios.bin is still BootMii it still effects real NAND and not not just emuNAND? or does ModMii's abstinence wizard do something else?

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
6. Launch the exploit.
7. Profit!
Bootmii's IOS254 launches SD:\bootmii\armboot.bin. Casper can do that too.
I guess what I'm curious about is that ModMii's abstinence wizard (which [member='Aigis'] said he used on a virgin Wii) claims to be able to work with a Wii without actually changing anything that would void the warranty. Am I misunderstanding, then, that it does in fact alter the NAND and so his warranty is shot?

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
nothing is installed to the Wii when running neek+di via casper (i.e. the goal of ModMii's Abstinence Wizard). Casper actually saves some data to some kind of a temp folder on the Wii's nand, and the contents of that folder is flushed every time you load the system menu (i.e. no traces of tampering left behind).

Casper requires an IOS only usually installed on Wii's 4.2 and above (even on un-modded wii's). If you tell ModMii's abstinence wizard you're on 4.1 or lower, it will get you to load mmm and install an official updated version of IOS53 (i.e. non-fakesigned content) before loading neek. Since it's an officially nintendo signed IOS that's being installed, the only suspicious thing nintendo may catch is that a newer version of IOS53 was installed and all the other IOSs are still a little older (typically they are all installed together). But I doubt that's enough to go on, and you could always just say it was a failed update or something that only got partially installed.

Reactions: 1 person

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
nothing is installed to the Wii when running neek+di via casper (i.e. the goal of ModMii's Abstinence Wizard). Casper actually saves some data to some kind of a temp folder on the Wii's nand, and the contents of that folder is flushed every time you load the system menu (i.e. no traces of tampering left behind).

Casper requires an IOS only usually installed on Wii's 4.2 and above (even on un-modded wii's). If you tell ModMii's abstinence wizard you're on 4.1 or lower, it will get you to load mmm and install an official updated version of IOS53 (i.e. non-fakesigned content) before loading neek. Since it's an officially nintendo signed IOS that's being installed, the only suspicious thing nintendo may catch is that a newer version of IOS53 was installed and all the other IOSs are still a little older (typically they are all installed together). But I doubt that's enough to go on, and you could always just say it was a failed update or something that only got partially installed.
Okay, and I would assume there would be some retail game that would require that IOS and install it itself so that's pretty normal. We're talking about a brand spanking new Wii here, though, so I think we're alright.

Aigis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess I'll get around to just softmodding my wii after my instant-replacement warranty expires. Anyway, I read up some softmodding threads and turns out the wiimote that came with my bundle is one of them new-fangled wiimotes with motion plus and it supposedly doesn't agree with hackmii. Does it still have problems with the softmodding process, or has it been patched?

I-Fatman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I guess I'll get around to just softmodding my wii after my instant-replacement warranty expires. Anyway, I read up some softmodding threads and turns out the wiimote that came with my bundle is one of them new-fangled wiimotes with motion plus and it supposedly doesn't agree with hackmii. Does it still have problems with the softmodding process, or has it been patched?

I don't think it's patched. You'll need to buy/borrow a Wiimote to do the procces.

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
some apps have been recompiled to work with the new wiimotes, others haven't.

If you're using ModMii, all apps work with the new wiimotes except for the priiloader installer (has been recompiled but not yet added to modmii) and MMM (ie. WAD Manager). So using the new wiimotes you can fully softmod you're wii if you grab the recompiled version of the priiloader installer and instead of MMM use WiiMod to install WADs.

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Maybe Joyflow can handle cheats. It should however be possible when launching your games from the neek overlay menu as well.
You might check the official sneek google svn for that. Some changes were made between rev. 168 and 169 for that.
finally got uneek+di and iso loading working using modmii's abstinence wizard
casper launches mini. bootmii also launches mini when it's found in the bootmii folder of the sd card.
So, you don't need to install bootmii and the hbc to take a nand dump.
Just let casper launch the proper mini (renamed armboot.bin from bootmii folder) and you will have the options to dump the nand.

I read a lot of confusing help here from people who haven't heared from "modmii's abstinence wizard".
Looks like at least Xflak knows what it is. :D

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
So, you don't need to install bootmii and the hbc to take a nand dump.
Just let casper launch the proper mini (renamed armboot.bin from bootmii folder) and you will have the options to dump the nand.
For people who don't know how to manually use casper to launch bootmii:

If you want to load bootmii on a virgin wii without installing bootmii (i.e. retain it's virginity) you can just run "Casper2BootMii.bat" found in ModMii's support folder. Basically it downloads Casper and the bootmii SD files (i.e. armboot.bin), then saves them to the appropriate locations on your SD Card (or copy_to_sd folder). Then just use any exploit and it will start bootmii and you can make a virgin nand dump.

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Don't you need the ppcboot.bin as well? (I have no doubt it will be downloaded)
Just not sure if it needs to be on the root of the sd card, or if it should remain in the bootmii folder?
Maybe casper was embedded in another program that launches it with command line parameters to load the armboot.bin from the bootmii folder?

Those are just possible ways how it could be done..

Aigis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
some apps have been recompiled to work with the new wiimotes, others haven't.

If you're using ModMii, all apps work with the new wiimotes except for the priiloader installer (has been recompiled but not yet added to modmii) and MMM (ie. WAD Manager). So using the new wiimotes you can fully softmod you're wii if you grab the recompiled version of the priiloader installer and instead of MMM use WiiMod to install WADs.

Thanks, will try it out this weekend.

Edit: Got it working without a hitch, also confirms priiloader and MMM work with the new wiimote. Thanks guys!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Yeet the cat.