Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
QUOTE said:
Is everything I need in modmii?
yup
QUOTEwill the wii still load up normally or will I have to configure it to do so
yes and no. Since your wii is pretty much a launch wii, u'll be able to install bootmii @ boot2 (which is awesome btw). So if you ever need to recover from a brick, you can just insert an sd card with the "bootmii" folder on it, and it will launch bootmii. If the bootmii folder is renamed or moved, it will launch normally. ModMii explains all that though
biggrin.gif

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm a little uncertain where to ask about this, but this seems appropriate.

I'm trying to help a friend of mine with an LU74 Wii, with a GC2-D3 drive. I'm aware that he is unable to load disc backups, so I set him up with a USB loader for Wii games. Through some research, I've also become aware that a USB loader will not work for GameCube games, as the USB port is disabled in GameCube mode.

On to the question: What would be the best way of loading GameCube backups on this Wii (preferably softmod)?

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
TehSkull said:

I'm trying to help a friend of mine with an LU74 Wii, with a GC2-D3 drive. I'm aware that he is unable to load disc backups, so I set him up with a USB loader for Wii games. Through some research, I've also become aware that a USB loader will not work for GameCube games, as the USB port is disabled in GameCube mode.

On to the question: What would be the best way of loading GameCube backups on this Wii (preferably softmod)?
Your friend's Wii will play backup discs, so use NeoGamma for GC games. USB is far better, so use Configurable USB Loader for Wii games.

Tachyon1986

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
India
Hi guys,

I have a Korean Wii (hacked to 4.1U) . Now, the games just run fine on Usb Loader GX , and to get Monster Hunter Tri working I installed CIOSCorp (I had no idea what it was at that time , but it got the game running). But , some of my channels aren't working..the Photo Channel for instance. The Wii just boots back to the system menu.

I'm thinking of virginizing the Wii and reinstalling the mods from scratch , but I don't see any tutorials for virginizing a Korean Wii that's been hacked to USA. Can anyone please help?

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Tachyon1986 said:
Hi guys,

I have a Korean Wii (hacked to 4.1U) . Now, the games just run fine on Usb Loader GX , and to get Monster Hunter Tri working I installed CIOSCorp (I had no idea what it was at that time , but it got the game running). But , some of my channels aren't working..the Photo Channel for instance. The Wii just boots back to the system menu.

I'm thinking of virginizing the Wii and reinstalling the mods from scratch , but I don't see any tutorials for virginizing a Korean Wii that's been hacked to USA. Can anyone please help?
Virginizing is retarded, and can easily lead to a brick. You won't get anything positive out of it. Use ModMii to resoftmod it.

Btw, you probably know this, but don't ever do an official update, since 4.2+ will brick your Wii.

kylster

mich weich töten
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If updating a Korean Wii past 4.2 bricks it; wouldn't it be wise to install a Custom System Menu so an official update wouldn't brick it? It would seem that this step would be essential to keeping these types of Wii's unbricked almost like ModMii extra brick protection.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
kylster said:
If updating a Korean Wii past 4.2 bricks it; wouldn't it be wise to install a Custom System Menu so an official update wouldn't brick it? It would seem that this step would be essential to keeping these types of Wii's unbricked almost like ModMii extra brick protection.
As long as you install IOS60 into slot 70/80, you can avoid the brick. However, there is still no reason to update past 4.1 anyway.

impizkit

Lazy Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Does class speed matter when playing games from SD card using cfg. I only have a 2GB right now and was looking to upgrade to a 32GB class 10. Its cheaper for a slower class so I thought I would save if I could. Any input would be great. Thanks.

kylster

mich weich töten
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
As long as you install IOS60 into slot 70/80, you can avoid the brick. However, there is still no reason to update past 4.1 anyway.
So if you install those IOS correctly and someone comes along and updates your Wii by Wifi and your Wii goes from 4.1

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
kylster said:
QUOTE said:
So if you install those IOS correctly and someone comes along and updates your Wii by Wifi and your Wii goes from 4.1

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JoostinOnline said:
TehSkull said:

Your friend's Wii will play backup discs, so use NeoGamma for GC games. USB is far better, so use Configurable USB Loader for Wii games.
It will? I thought the GC2-D3 couldn't be used for disc backups because it lacks a drive chip.
And that still doesn't answer my question. How can he load GC backups besides discs?

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
TehSkull said:
JoostinOnline said:
TehSkull said:

It will? I thought the GC2-D3 couldn't be used for disc backups because it lacks a drive chip.
And that still doesn't answer my question. How can he load GC backups besides discs?
Actually it does answer your question, since you asked what the best way would be. If you don't want that, I suggest you take a look at Swiss or DIOS MIOS Lite.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JoostinOnline said:
TehSkull said:
JoostinOnline said:
TehSkull said:

Actually it does answer your question, since you asked what the best way would be. If you don't want that, I suggest you take a look at Swiss or DIOS MIOS Lite.
Thank you. Swiss looks good. I'll have my friend get an SD Gecko. And I misspoke earlier. It's the GC2-D3-2 (v2), and as far as I'm aware that's still unable to load disc backups without hard mods or drive replacement.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
TehSkull said:
Thank you. Swiss looks good. I'll have my friend get an SD Gecko. And I misspoke earlier. It's the GC2-D3-2 (v2), and as far as I'm aware that's still unable to load disc backups without hard mods or drive replacement.
Oh, that explains it. D3-2 and D4 drive chips won't let you play backup discs or DVD movies, even with a hardmod.

ZiggyStardog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Wii's DVD drive died a few days ago, and for various reasons I ended up buying a new black one right away.

So my thought was that this was my opportunity to hack the old one, so I letterbombed it successfully and installed the Homebrew Channel and BootMII and did a nand backup.

Now after researching things a bit, I'm trying to decide how to proceed. I'm mostly interested in getting the old Wii to play games in my existing collection, and maybe to work with some homebrewed or mod-ed games. (I'm amazed at what folks have done with SMG 2.5 so far, for example)

So here's what I've been considering so far, and I'm looking for advice on which way(s) to go:

1.) Replace the drive in the old white Wii (about 2 years old NA/USA). I saw people selling replacement drives on Ebay of various versions-- new, refurbs and used, but my near term fix was to just go out an buy another one, because of shipping time. If I go this route, I'd like to know what I should get and whether it's worth a premium to get any particular drive or if there are any preferred vendors.

(I'm not interested in playing burned games or DVDs, and I realize my black Wii won't be able to play them anyway-- but if I have a choice I'd like to have this option)

2.) Hack the black Wii (it's 4.3U firmware, so Letterbombing looks like it good route) find a dumper, a cIOS and USB loader, and then dump archive copies off to a removable hard drive. If go this route, I'd like opinions on good dumpers and loaders. Do all the loaders require the Truncha bug? If so, should that worry me?

2.1) I tend to play just a few games at a time, so I'm wondering if there are any options where I could archive dumps to a "server" over WiFi and then move my working copies to a large enough SD card? I see there are WiFi FTP options, but are there any menu-ed systems with the ease of use of the USB loaders? Also do USB loaders work with DVD roms drives, or USB flash drives? I mainly hear of people using hard drives. A wrinkle to this is that my main machine is a Hackintosh, and its primary OS is OSX-- but I can run virtual versions of Windows if need be, or I have parts to build up a dedicated Windows machine for this.

3.) Buy a LG/Hitachi drive that can read Wii disks, and dump them on a PC (I'm assuming there aren't any OSX options for this) Most of the drives I see available are parallel IDE drive, which are sometimes problematic on Hackitosh systems, so I may have to build a dedicated Windows box for this. I see various new, used and refurb options for these, and some of the prices seem a little too good to be true. If the prices are true for this, this seems like it might be my cheapest route. If any of you have opinions on vendors and dumping software for this, I'd appreciate.

4.) Find images of titles I've already bought and download them from places I'd rather not visit and get them onto something I can load from. Again, I'm not really interested in pirated stuff and I support this boards position on this issue. I think it's self-defeating to the industry, but its tempting because it wouldn't require me to hack my other Wii or buy any hardware. Not my first choice, and I'm not asking for advise on where or how to do this. I guess I'm asking to be talked out of this option I guess.

The main thing that's driving these questions, is I'd prefer not to monopolize the new black Wii running dumps and I'd rather keep it pristine if possible, so as not to confuse the other folks using it. The Homebrew Channel is innocuous enough for most users, but if wasn't there or hidden all-the-better.

Thanks for your help...

Ryoku83

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
jskyboo said:
JoostinOnline said:
kylster said:
QUOTE said:

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Ryoku83 said:
I think your misunderstanding something. I could be wrong but im sure if you have a Korean SM and Korean IOS files you won't Brick upgrading that would just be stupid. What he meant is if you have a korean wii region changed to NTSC and then you update (which would install IOS70 or 80 US version) would brick your wii. By installing IOS60 into slot 70 or 80 it wouldnt get overwritten and your wii would avoid the brick.
That's what I meant, sorry I wasn't clear on that.

I still remember when 4.2 was released and the flood of people reporting that their region changed Korean Wii's were bricked.

Even now it is a problem because people don't realize they own Korean Wii's. In Asia lots of shops sell Wii's that are region changed Korean Wii's. They swap the case out with one from another Wii so the serial number shows another region.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: I appreciate the insight!