XP
Country
Mexico
Schubdogg

1. I have been following this guide and so far it has been working great:
http://mikeandheth.com/games/109-store-and...tem-menu-4.html

I refuse to read a topic from another site
closedeyes.gif

Is this a good one to following? Is it smart to take a system and update it to 4.0u first?
Well I would install a cIOS over a 3.2 or 3.4 first, and then update, but that is just me

2. I just bought a gamecube controller so I could access the bootmii menu and do a full NAND backup prior to doing any future wii's, but the 3 I have done so far, all I can do is go to them and back them up as they are NOW, which they are currently modified. I know this is better than nothing but is this the best way to go?
Yes, cause you can just restore and don't have to re-install everything again
laugh.gif

I can't get them back to a "virgin" state can I?
Yes you can:
downgrade back to 3.2
NAND Cleaner, to delete all the Preloader gifts
Use AnyTitleDeleter to delete cIOS (IOSes 249-250-222) and any homebrew channel you have
Use HackMii installer to uninstall BootMii (not really recomendable)
AnyTitleDeleter to delete HBC
update to 4.0 from Wii's settings
...voilà..!!

3. I have been using cIOS rev10 and the only issue so far on 35 games is that metroid requires a disc in the drive which a blank dvd will do. When I updated to cIOS rev13 punchout gave a BSOD so I went back to using rev10. Is rev10 the most stable at the moment?
That's the one I use, and some fella' in other thread said that r12 is better than r10, but I guess you'll need to do your tests

4. Also, so I run the IOS35 downgrade and then I installed the cIOS rev10, but on one of the wii's I accidentally installed that on the IOS35 and not the custom IOS249 or whatever it is, does this matter? I don't seem to be seeing any issues...
I don't understand well this question, can you explain with apples and oranges
tongue.gif

5. Here is my biggest fear/issue. All these forums and sites talking about "bricking" their wii and this and that, is that all related to hardware modded wii's and updates?
No, it is all cause of software:
Banner-Brick = When you install a bad channel (or corrupted) and you will only see the HEALTH screen then "Files are corrupted" message
Solution = Go to HBC (from preloader or bootmii) and use Wad Manager to uninstall that .wad file

Semi-Brick = When you accept the update from an out of region game, so it will install a SysMenu from other region than your Wii, and you wont be able to access to the Wii's Settings
Solution= Install with Wad Manager a SysMenu from your Region and the settings.txt (not sure about this last one but I heard something about it)

Full-Brick = When you "ACCIDENTALY" (meaning stupidly) delete files you should not delete from your Wii: official and usable IOSes, SysMenu, important things, etc etc etc...
Solution = IF you have bootmii installed as boot2, access to restore the NAND, and restore it from a backup YOU ALREADY HAVE WHEN YOU INSTALLED BOOTMII

Are those issues related to previous hacks like the twilight hack?
None of them has to be with the tools, they all have to be with USERS not being capable of reading the readme files, or not even knowing what delete means

Is this newest one pretty brick proof?
Yes

I know using the boot1/2 method is supposed to be brick proof but what if the wii only allows the IOS?
You are screwed, but IF
you use your common sense and don't mess with tools and apps you really don't know, I think you'll be fine

I guess my biggest fear is screwing up a wii for a buddy and having to shell out $250 for a dumb mistake
wink.gif

Lastly (I know this is a lot of friggin' questions, sorry!), once a wii is all modded and it's all said and done, what, if anything, can brick it? A system update? A game update? I'd like to know so I can warn people what to avoid.
Do not update having preloader installed
Do not update from out of region games (or in-region games cause that can disable some things in the future, who knows
wink.gif
)
Do not install channels you don't know where it froms
Do not unplug the POWER cord when "ACCIDENTALY" performing an official update
Do not try to insert a hot dog thru the disc slot
nor thru the SD slot
nor thru the GC controller slot (the memory card is OK)
Do not take your Wii out and leave it near a construction
Do not force the Wii to drink beer while it's driving (nor yourself)
Do not charge your friends (if they really are your friends) for hacking their Wiis (or charge as much so you canbuy them one if anything goes wrong
laugh.gif
)
Do not use any tool you don't know what really does or what the result can be
Do not turn it ON at all, period.
mthrnitesmiley.gif

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
trunksu said:
i am totally stuck. i got hbc installed but i can not get cIOSr9 install. i don't have a wireless connection setup and have everything on my 256mb sd card. all i want to do is to play games on my portable hard drive.

this is what in my sd card.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?nmigmzmhjmw

you can put IOS36-64-v1042.wad in the root of your SD and install it offline, but you need to be on FW 3.3 or lower, otherwise search for a FIX around on how to install it

trunksu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ether2802 said:
trunksu said:
i am totally stuck. i got hbc installed but i can not get cIOSr9 install. i don't have a wireless connection setup and have everything on my 256mb sd card. all i want to do is to play games on my portable hard drive.

you can put IOS36-64-v1042.wad in the root of your SD and install it offline, but you need to be on FW 3.3 or lower, otherwise search for a FIX around on how to install it

would this be easier if i have internet connection?

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
trunksu said:
ether2802 said:
trunksu said:

would this be easier if i have internet connection?

Unfortunately.......no, it would be the exact same procedure, are you on FW 4.0 ..??

chillyloop

Trophies
XP
Country
If you go out and buy a brand new wii, are you still able to soft mod them? I am reading stuff about if you buy a wii and it has a certain serial number, you cannot soft mod it? Also do you still need a copy of zelda? I would like to play backups from a USB hard drive. I am in the UK if it helps.

paul3100

Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
If you go out and buy a brand new wii, are you still able to soft mod them? I am reading stuff about if you buy a wii and it has a certain serial number, you cannot soft mod it? Also do you still need a copy of zelda? I would like to play backups from a USB hard drive. I am in the UK if it helps.

Quick answer...... yes

Though you probably won't be able to use the twilight hack any more but banner bomb shouls work for you and i hear there is another hack either working or comming really soon so you will be ok :-)

paul

i.heart.piracy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I'm having trouble running GC multigame discs from the Gamecube backup launcher. For some reason I keep getting a black-and-white falling screen when the launcher recognizes the disk. If I press B for the patched MIOS, press A for auto-detect, or force NTSC, the first game runs fine, but it's in black and white. If I try hitting L for the first game, it works fine and in black and white. If I hit R for the second game, it crashes and I just get noise on the screen until I reset my Wii.

I've tried two different pairs of games a bunch of different times (I wasted close to 5 DVD's just trying to figure out what was wrong...), and I get the same result every time. I'm starting to think it's something with my backup launcher? It's WiiGator Gamecube version 0.2 Theta, and AFAIK it's the most recent version, so I don't know what the problem is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Disregard this; I just figured it out. Apparently you need to run a GC single-game NTSC disc in the backup launcher, wait until it loads and recognizes the game, and then switch it out for the multiboot disc.

Which is kind of annoying; is there any way to make it so the MultiISOcreator doesn't automatically format to PAL?

Cpt-DS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey everyone I have some questions;

1) Do I need to install cIOS rev13 to use any USB Loader? I'm a bit afraid of this because I have a LU65 Wii with v4.0...
unsure.gif

2) Where and how could I install this cIOS rev13?
3) Do backups have slowdown issues?
4) How am I supossed to make a backup of my nand with bootmii?
5) If I format my USB drive to store ISOs (WFBS format) can i format it back to how it was before?
6) Finally, do I need to give a specific name to the ROM files and where do I need to store those.

Thanks.
yay.gif

i.heart.piracy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oops, now I have a new problem. The swapping works, but only for whatever game I happened to burn first on the multidisk. If I try to load the second game, the Wii resets and runs the first game as if I had pressed L instead of R.

Is this a common problem?

tdlo123

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Iceland
Hi guys.

Noob question: I just made a copy of excite bots, but for some reason it wont play on my wii, I get an ugly blue screen and an error (#002) saying that I should remove the disc and refer to the manual.

Can someone explain why that happens?
sleep.gif
;

Oh, and my wii has 3.1U firmware.

Thundi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hey there, I need some help or rather input.

I've stopped following all this wii development a long time ago and all those IOS things are giving me a headache, I tried reading up on it but I just couldn't manage to understand what I need
wink.gif

So here are my specs:

-PAL Wii 3.2E (no clue which IOS files, can one find that out somehow?)

-Wiikey 1.9g (never did the s update)

-Homebrew channel 1.0.1 which is where I am currently at. It asks me if I want to update the channel itself + install "dvdx" and "bootmii". What should I do?

I also found this guide:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=144835 on how to upgrade to 4.0

Basically I'd like to upgrade, but this guide says its apparently not working with bootmii?
So what are my options and what other ways of upgrading to 4.0 are there?

Thx in advance for any help.

Kooper113

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone,

I had a quick question which I'm sure has an easy answer, I'm just new to all of this so I really don't know. I've been playing Punch-Out Wii via HBC/Loader recently and the game has been a lot of fun. However I've noticed there are various graphical issues with the game. For example cutscenes for characters will cut off prematurely, and in-game animations will either be completely missing (for example, when punching Bear Hugger you're supposed to see fish flying around his head but I don't).

What I wanted to know was what exactly causes this to happen? And is there any way to fix such problems? Probably an easy one, but I have no idea exactly what causes such problems. I know it can't be the disk itself as it's worked fine on a friend's console.

Thanks guys

i.heart.piracy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tdlo123 said:
Hi guys.

Noob question: I just made a copy of excite bots, but for some reason it wont play on my wii, I get an ugly blue screen and an error (#002) saying that I should remove the disc and refer to the manual.

sleep.gif
;

This is simple; just download the 002 fix for the gamma backup launcher and you'll be able to play games with the 002 error (Madworld, etc.).

Edit: I just checked the compatibility list; apparently you need to IOSpatch the game to 249. Just Google search for IOSpatcher, download it, and then drag your game onto the .exe in the folder. A command prompt should come up asking you which IOS to patch to; type in 249 and hit 'enter'.

tdlo123

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Iceland
i.heart.piracy said:
tdlo123 said:
Hi guys.

sleep.gif
;

This is simple; just download the 002 fix for the gamma backup launcher and you'll be able to play games with the 002 error (Madworld, etc.).

Edit: I just checked the compatibility list; apparently you need to IOSpatch the game to 249. Just Google search for IOSpatcher, download it, and then drag your game onto the .exe in the folder. A command prompt should come up asking you which IOS to patch to; type in 249 and hit 'enter'.
I forgot To say Im using a modchip =_=
I tried the ios patch, but now it just gives me a black screen.
Oh, i used the ios patch on the same iso before (I always change the ios to 30), is this why its not working? (cannot be patched twice)

Tundrasama

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Cpt-DS said:
Hey everyone I have some questions;

1) Do I need to install cIOS rev13 to use any USB Loader? I'm a bit afraid of this because I have a LU65 Wii with v4.0...
unsure.gif

You don't have to have cIOS rev13; rev9 and rev10 are also compatible. I use OggZee's 1.5 cfg loader; it's my favorite at the moment (http://www.gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=147638)

2) Where and how could I install this cIOS rev13?
You can find it here:http://www.teknoconsolas.es/blog/waninkoko/custom-ios38-rev-13
Instructions for installation should be included. You'd put it in the apps folder of your SD card, then run through HBC - I do network installation.

3) Do backups have slowdown issues?
Running them with the loader, I haven't had any slowdown issues (unless you're talking about HDD spindown errors, but you can refer to the HDD compatibility list (http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/index.php/USB_Devices_Compatibility_List)... but games generally run faster with the loaders. I haven't used the backup channel and burned DVDs yet.

Hopefully someone else will be able to help you with this one... I'm not too familiar with it.

5) If I format my USB drive to store ISOs (WFBS format) can i format it back to how it was before?
This shouldn't be a problem... just format it as you'd format any other drive.

6) Finally, do I need to give a specific name to the ROM files and where do I need to store those.
No specific name is required, I just had a 'roms' folder in my emulator folder and it detects them as long as they're in there.

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Cpt-DS said:

the other Q's has been answered, and if you look at bootmii menu, you can't really miss the NAND backup, use the POWER button to change selection, and reset to ENTER, and sometimes ti asks for EJECT to execute some functions

QUOTE said:
Oops, now I have a new problem. The swapping works, but only for whatever game I happened to burn first on the multidisk. If I try to load the second game, the Wii resets and runs the first game as if I had pressed L instead of R.

Is this a common problem?

this is not common, actually I made two multidisk, one for the NFS games (most wanted-underground2) with a tool (wich name don't remember) that uses cmd line instructions, and the Zelda Multi (4 swords-windwaker) made with MultiGame ISO Creator 3.2.4 and they both work fine, using Gamma, GC launcher, or disc channel (softmii) no need to swap discs at all, the only thing is that the video output patcher doesn't work at all on any launcher, nor the ISO makers...!!
smile.gif

QUOTE said:
Hey there, I need some help or rather input.
I've stopped following all this wii development a long time ago and all those IOS things are giving me a headache, I tried reading up on it but I just couldn't manage to understand what I need
So here are my specs:
-PAL Wii 3.2E (no clue which IOS files, can one find that out somehow?)
-Wiikey 1.9g (never did the s update)
-Homebrew channel 1.0.1 which is where I am currently at. It asks me if I want to update the channel itself + install "dvdx" and "bootmii". What should I do?
I also found this guide:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=144835 on how to upgrade to 4.0
Basically I'd like to upgrade, but this guide says its apparently not working with bootmii?
So what are my options and what other ways of upgrading to 4.0 are there?
Thx in advance for any help.

Install a cIOS (preferably use the cIOS36_r10 installer) then use the WiiSCUv2 to install IOSes 60-61 and the new WiiShop, then let the HBC get updated to 1.0.4 and install BootMii as boot2, do a backup (read about BootMii) after this do whatever you like, update thru official, then use some patcher to be able to use homebrew channels on SD menu loading thingy

Hey everyone,

I had a quick question which I'm sure has an easy answer, I'm just new to all of this so I really don't know. I've been playing Punch-Out Wii via HBC/Loader recently and the game has been a lot of fun. However I've noticed there are various graphical issues with the game. For example cutscenes for characters will cut off prematurely, and in-game animations will either be completely missing (for example, when punching Bear Hugger you're supposed to see fish flying around his head but I don't).

What I wanted to know was what exactly causes this to happen? And is there any way to fix such problems? Probably an easy one, but I have no idea exactly what causes such problems. I know it can't be the disk itself as it's worked fine on a friend's console.

Thanks guys

Well I have had no issues at all on disc or USB, so if you say that the same disc worked fine on other friend's console, then your friend have a better cIOS installed, ask him wich one he has and install the same one in your Wii, I have cIOS_r10 BTW...!!
smile.gif

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
tdlo123 said:
i.heart.piracy said:
tdlo123 said:
Hi guys.

sleep.gif
;

I forgot To say Im using a modchip =_=
I tried the ios patch, but now it just gives me a black screen.
Oh, i used the ios patch on the same iso before (I always change the ios to 30), is this why its not working? (cannot be patched twice)

Install a cIOS and it will be eaiser than patching it again and then burn it again, and do you use the patcher a lot..? cause error 002 is a lack of the IOS required by the game, or forcing the game to be read by a different IOS, stop brickblocking your games, upgrade to 3.2, install preloader and enable the "Skip Disc Update" hack, if you get a black screen, use GeckOS 1.9 to run the game, and if you lack of the IOS, GeckOS 1.9 will ask you if you want to install the IOS you lack off...!!
wink2.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the...