Hacking NOOB PARADISE - ask away

DashXFox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Failure Complete! Update on my issue:

Kind of wish someone told me I was an idiot and to update Sneek2o to rev96. Yeah, my problem is completely solved.

I overwrote the Sneek files (From rev95) with the ones in rev96 and now every game I've ever had a problem with works perfectly! The only reason I got myself in this problem in the first place is because I couldn't get Sneek2o to boot under rev 96, which forced me to downgrade in order to get into my emunand. I'm very happy that it's working now.

qwertykey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,

I hope someone can help me out. I hacked my Wii and installed Homebrew a few years ago and I was able to play DVD backups. I have not touched my Wii ever since and I would like to play it again, but it seems things have changed a lot since a few years ago and I have no idea what I need to do or where I need to start. I have gathered that backups can be loaded from USB now, but it seems there is so much more I can do now. Can I use the Wii as a web browser, play movies through it etc?

Many thanks for your help!

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I have gathered that backups can be loaded from USB now, but it seems there is so much more I can do now. Can I use the Wii as a web browser, play movies through it etc?
yes to all
update mod for usb -> modmii
internet -> wii internet channel (opera) (sucks)
movies -> mplayerCE, wiiMC

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
There's also a homebrew alternative to the opera channel
http://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-browser.342634/
It's not perfect but it does have SOME benefits over the wii's built in one.

Dios Mios Question of the day:

If I get this: http://blujay.com/item/Western-Digi...ort-Portable-Hard-Drive-Black-9080000-4386600 (which by the way I really hope works)

What do I need to disable on it to get it rolling? I heard there were some settings or something.
Most are good to go as is. What you might have read about is setting them to not go to sleep automatically but many don't even do that.

qwertykey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
thanks for the replies. I also would like to know whether I need to have Homebrew installed to be able to use any of the USB backup loaders because I my files on the SD card have been erased. Thanks!

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
thanks for the replies. I also would like to know whether I need to have Homebrew installed to be able to use any of the USB backup loaders because I my files on the SD card have been erased. Thanks!
Depends on what you mean exactly. A USB backup loader is just a homebrew app that you run. There are several ways to get the Wii to run that app.
- The Homebrew Channel is one of them and you can put the app in the right place on either a USB drive or an SD card for it to show up in the Homebrew Channel so you can run it.
- If you have a forwarder channel installed for the backup loader, it will also look on the SD card or USB drive to find the app to run.
- There's also channels that have the app installed into it inside the wii itself that you can use to run it.
(If you don't have any of these showing up on your system menu you can always download the files to install them.)
- You can also run it through a game exploit or other exploit but that's a bit more work so people usually just use that to run the app that installs the Homebrew Channel in the first place and then use the Homebrew Channel to run anything else.

There are other ways, too, but those are the one's you'd most likely already have.

qwertykey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Depends on what you mean exactly. A USB backup loader is just a homebrew app that you run. There are several ways to get the Wii to run that app.
- The Homebrew Channel is one of them and you can put the app in the right place on either a USB drive or an SD card for it to show up in the Homebrew Channel so you can run it.
- If you have a forwarder channel installed for the backup loader, it will also look on the SD card or USB drive to find the app to run.
- There's also channels that have the app installed into it inside the wii itself that you can use to run it.
(If you don't have any of these showing up on your system menu you can always download the files to install them.)
- You can also run it through a game exploit or other exploit but that's a bit more work so people usually just use that to run the app that installs the Homebrew Channel in the first place and then use the Homebrew Channel to run anything else.

i remember doing the twilight hack and installing the Homebrew channel. I then used to load the backup from a DVD aftering launching the Homebrew channel. I have lost all my files from the SD card which included the Homebrew installation, am I able to simply add the files to the SD card again and have it working as normal? If I can then I will add the USB loader app to the SD card and go from there, though I'm not sure if I have to update the Wii software or anything? Thanks again.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
i remember doing the twilight hack and installing the Homebrew channel. I then used to load the backup from a DVD aftering launching the Homebrew channel. I have lost all my files from the SD card which included the Homebrew installation, am I able to simply add the files to the SD card again and have it working as normal? If I can then I will add the USB loader app to the SD card and go from there, though I'm not sure if I have to update the Wii software or anything? Thanks again.
If it worked before I'd guess it should work now as long as you get the right files on SD again (and as long as you didn't delete your homebrew channel ... if it still shows up among your channels you're okay.) All you should really need is the USB loader app in the right place so it shows up in the homebrew channel.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
now the problem im having is i cant seem to dump the HBC, in WadCreator 1.0 (couldnt get 1.1, link is dead) it gives me a error message?

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
now the problem im having is i cant seem to dump the HBC, in WadCreator 1.0 (couldnt get 1.1, link is dead) it gives me a error message?
You can also use WiiMod (get it from ModMii) to pack things into WAD's. don't remember the exact names of the options but it's something like advanced -> AnyTitle Manager and then which buttons to push shows up at the bottom of the screen.

EDIT : Oh, and you might be able to get a lot of that done, now, without all the dumping and extracting process by just using the newer versions of WiiXplorer that you can browse your real NAND and copy files out of it directly. You can probably get the files you need from it that way.
https://code.google.com/p/wiixplorer/downloads/detail?name=R254.zip&can=2&q=

Reactions: Flame

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
now the problem that im facing is that because my Wii is European, the US NEEK2O Nand doesnt like my European Homebrew Channel and is stuck on the scam page of the Homebrew Channel. any help please?

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
now the problem that im facing is that because my Wii is European, the US NEEK2O Nand doesnt like my European Homebrew Channel and is stuck on the scam page of the Homebrew Channel. any help please?
Yeah, I kinda doubt you'd want to temporarily region switch your Wii just for the HBC on neek. Even then, it kinda sounds risky unless you have BootMii@Boot2. Maybe you should just stick with another homebrew launcher.

If you wanted to take the risk you could ...
1. make a bootmii NAND backup.
2. use ohneschwanzenegger to create a clean US nand.bin for your Wii.
3. install the clean NAND
4. go through all the HBC instalation/extraction process
5. restore your ORIGINAL nand backup.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Yeah, I kinda doubt you'd want to temporarily region switch your Wii just for the HBC on neek. Even then, it kinda sounds risky unless you have BootMii@Boot2. Maybe you should just stick with another homebrew launcher.

If you wanted to take the risk you could ...
1. make a bootmii NAND backup.
2. use ohneschwanzenegger to create a clean US nand.bin for your Wii.
3. install the clean NAND
4. go through all the HBC instalation/extraction process
5. restore your ORIGINAL nand backup.

yeah im not going to take the risk, but how do i find if my BootMii@Boot2?

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
yeah I'm not going to take the risk, but how do i find if my BootMii@Boot2?
When BootMii is at Boot2 it's the installed in such a way that you can get it to run BEFORE the system menu starts. If you just have BootMii installed as an IOS (which is the other alternative) you can't make it run first so if the system menu and priiloader get broken there's no way to get something else to run first and fix it and you're bricked. That's why I mentioned that. With BootMii installed at Boot2 there's practically no risk. If it's not and something does wrong you'd have a nice plastic brick on your hands.

If the drive light flashes only ONCE when you start up your Wii with no SD card inserted, you DON'T have it installed as Boot2.
If it flashes MORE than that when there's no SD card in place you DO have it installed and the above method should work.

Norlan Bustillo X

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello. I have a question. My Wii is NTSC, and a friend of mine just transferred me two games: one is NTSC-J and one is PAL. I have Priiloader with the "Region Free EVERYTHING" hack enabled. So, will I be able to play those games with no risk of bricking or is there something else I should do to play them? Thanks in advance.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: So negative