Hacking Nintendont

Bugahy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am using the nintendont forwarder on Wii U, when i run the app it loads the nintendont logo, enters wii mode and then black screen, i have to unplug the console everytime this happens, sometimes I get lucky and nintendont loads fine, but 8 times out of 10 wont load past the wii logo.
I have the latest release (5.462) and IOS58 v25.32

I found a solution (kind of) for those wondering, i have to enter Wii mode first and then return to the Wii u system menu then load a sig patcher or a CFW and run nintendont from there, i dont know why it need to enter wii mode first but at least it works.

Last edited by Bugahy,

spraydom22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
My understanding is the wii vc / gc (nintendont) vc files need sig patching to execute in wii u mode (cfw active like haxchi/cbhc/mocha) as they are not signed, and without cfw active, the wii u won't execute unsigned code.

bootmonster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The controllers de-sync and shut down the console. This usually happens for me after 2 minutes of no input. I think my hard drive is fucked cause it shuts down with wii vc as well.
Edit tried another hdd and problems seemed to have gone
Was the first hard drive you used a toshiba by any chance? They are known to spin down to a sort of 'sleep' mode which can cause issues on the Wii U.

Columbo2811

Trophies
XP
Country
Was the first hard drive you used a toshiba by any chance? They are known to spin down to a sort of 'sleep' mode which can cause issues on the Wii U.
No it was a maxell 500gb with y cable and timed out pretty much exactly 2 mins in when not pressing any buttons in nintendont which is rather strange. New one is working perfectly now.

Last edited by Columbo2811,
Reactions: peteruk

Bugahy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My understanding is the wii vc / gc (nintendont) vc files need sig patching to execute in wii u mode (cfw active like haxchi/cbhc/mocha) as they are not signed, and without cfw active, the wii u won't execute unsigned code.
You're correct, but i execute CFW Mocha before running nintendont on wii u mode, and doesnt run past the Wii logo (that means it runs and enters wii mode), i have to enter manually to wii mode and then exit and run the CFW again and then the nintendont VC app in the wii u menu. i have the USB Loader GX on the Wii U menu as well but that one runs fine.

Maxbeta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Install forwarder (see nintendont forwarder url file) via wup installer gx2 and make sure your nintendont is updated to latest version to avoid errors.

Thanks for providing the loader and help.
I recently installed everything along with Nintendont v5.464 which is the lastest one provided on the 1st post here but I am having some issues.
Upon the first try running the loader I ran into a black hanging screen after the Wii logo. I had to unplug my WiiU and turn on the unit.
Ran the Loader again and immediately got a console error which asked me to power down the Wii U and try again.
Powered up the Wii U, went into CHBC/Haxchi, exited with Home button and ran the loader and Nintendont finally loaded....third time's a charm I guess BUT however it does not detect games on my USB drive. :(

Is it supposed to give this many problems? Or is there actually a workaround to get it running off USB and on the Gamepad?

I'm just going to revert back to not using a gamepad and wait for a more stable version. Thanks again man!

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I recently installed everything along with Nintendont v5.464 which is the lastest one provided on the 1st post here but I am having some issues.
Upon the first try running the loader I ran into a black hanging screen after the Wii logo. I had to unplug my WiiU and turn on the unit.
Ran the Loader again and immediately got a console error which asked me to power down the Wii U and try again.
Powered up the Wii U, went into CHBC/Haxchi, exited with Home button and ran the loader and Nintendont finally loaded....third time's a charm I guess BUT however it does not detect games on my USB drive. :(

Is it supposed to give this many problems? Or is there actually a workaround to get it running off USB and on the Gamepad?

I'm just going to revert back to not using a gamepad and wait for a more stable version. Thanks again man!
wiivc inject has no acess to usb lol also you need sigpatches to launch wiivc games, you can make a wiivc game with game inside that can be on the usb of your wiiu or nand but vwii usb fa32 will not work. also nintendont launches here every single time, you probably had a bad install.

Last edited by pedro702,

Maxbeta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I haven't done any vc injects before and I thought this was just a loader for a new version compatible with the gamepad. Forgive me for not being a GBAtemp Guru such as yourself but then again thanks for the additional info. Also if it managed to load I don't think it was a bad install, at least not from what I saw WUP Installer perform. I think it may be related to something else. Anyways, I'll just wait until things are more stable.

Kleyon

Trophies
XP
Country
France

No you don't! Already had this many times (seems to concern first launch after installing forwarder and/or Nintendont). You just need to press A 2 or 3 times at launch for loading first game from list, after that it should launch as expected. Plus power button from WiiU must work now, no need to unplug it. Only case when I was forced to unplug WiiU is when I try Wii ISOs that vWii can't handle (other Region for example) so not related to Nintendont anymore. This bug can be bypassed by injecting GameCube games.

Last edited by Kleyon,

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Well I haven't done any vc injects before and I thought this was just a loader for a new version compatible with the gamepad. Forgive me for not being a GBAtemp Guru such as yourself but then again thanks for the additional info. Also if it managed to load I don't think it was a bad install, at least not from what I saw WUP Installer perform. I think it may be related to something else. Anyways, I'll just wait until things are more stable.
remenber, everytime you are reinstalling something with the same id uninstal it first then reinstall overwriting it makes isntalls very dodgy, i installed nintendont with mkgp2 iso inside, then it would blackscreen everytime when launching the game i deleted rebuilded the nuspacker files and reinstall and everything is good, so yeah bad shit can happen sometimes, nintendont is very very stable, no one gets more blackscreens than boots for a very very long time unless some file is off.

Last edited by pedro702,

spraydom22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel

Make sure your vWii drive/flash/disk on key that you use for usb loader gx, wiiflow, etc. for wii/gc is disconnected when you try to load this up. Nintendont gets cranky if it detects two usb devices (i.e Wii U's encrypted disk for storage and the vWiis's device) simultaneously. (alternatively, you can use ustealth to hide the vWii device)

My setup before I did Wii/GC VC injects was

Wii U games on encrypted Wiiu drive
GC games on SD card (for Nintendont via vWii)
Wii games on other usb (FAT32) vWii disk drive with ustealth enabled.

To quote Nintendont's page: "- The USB device can be connected on any USB Port, but it MUST be connected alone.
Do NOT connect another HDD at the same time. Even a WiiU formated HDD will prevent Nintendont from working.
Please, disconnect all your other connected device before launching Nintendont."

Last edited by spraydom22,

spraydom22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
It seems there are two options for installing the nintendont forwarder with wup installer gx2

1] Install on USB.

a)You'll only be able to play games on the SD card.
b)You'll have to ustealth or remove the vWii USB device.

2] Install on NAND

a) You'll be able to play gc games on SD or vWii USB device
b) You'll still have to remove the Wii U USB device to avoid nintendont's two USB device limitation

Last edited by spraydom22,

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Make sure your vWii drive/flash/disk on key that you use for usb loader gx, wiiflow, etc. for wii/gc is disconnected when you try to load this up. Nintendont gets cranky if it detects two usb devices (i.e Wii U's encrypted disk for storage and the vWiis's device) simultaneously. (alternatively, you can use ustealth to hide the vWii device)

My setup before I did Wii/GC VC injects was

Wii U games on encrypted Wiiu drive
GC games on SD card (for Nintendont via vWii)
Wii games on other usb (FAT32) vWii disk drive with ustealth enabled.

To quote Nintendont's page: "- The USB device can be connected on any USB Port, but it MUST be connected alone.
Do NOT connect another HDD at the same time. Even a WiiU formated HDD will prevent Nintendont from working.
Please, disconnect all your other connected device before launching Nintendont."
latest nintendont can now work with wiiu formated drive and a fat32 drive btw.

marduk666

THE INFINITE NOOB
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So is it impossible to put Nintendont in the .wup so it can be played without a SD card?
Not necessary to be sure. But it would be nice.

Thanks for all the hard work fix94!

spraydom22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
So is it impossible to put Nintendont in the .wup so it can be played without a SD card?
Not necessary to be sure. But it would be nice.

Thanks for all the hard work fix94!

TeconMoon's WiiVC script will convert a gc.gcm to a wup installer gx2 gc vc package that gets installed on the WiiU USB or NAND. You just need the nintendont files on the SD card.

Reactions: marduk666

marduk666

THE INFINITE NOOB
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea, I get that. Thanks. My question was if nintendont itself can be worked into the installed .wup. and not located on the SD card. In case an SD card went out or for whatever reason wasn't available the installed .wup would still play the way other .wups would.

Kleyon

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yes it could, some does but you'll need to reinject it each time it is updated. Using forwarder can simply allow you to change DOL file on SD card.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying