Hacking Nintendont

wicknicole

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it's not listed it either doesn't work or nobody has tried it. (Personally I do not like that non working games are apparently excluded, but I'll leave it at that).
They're not excluded, afaik they get removed when a new version is released (which fixes them) so they get tested again. If anyone here knows of any non-working games why don't they just add them to the list instead of saying the list is wrong?

Reactions: Margen67

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
They're not excluded, afaik they get removed when a new version is released (which fixes them) so they get tested again. If anyone here knows of any non-working games why don't they just add them to the list instead of saying the list is wrong?
because you need to own original copys of everygame to test them which most of us dont, and editing a compat list without testing the games yourself isnt correct imo.

MutantlX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys, quick question:
Could somebody explain to me what's "antiflicker"? I mean, I UNDERSTAND the CONCEPT of flicker, but what does it do on NINTENDON'T?
Thanks.
I found some games on my pal system when running NTSC games would flicker until I select progressive mode in game. Switching this on stopped it so I could actually read what was on the screen.

A bit like when you point a camera at a TV with a low refresh rate.

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I found some games on my pal system when running NTSC games would flicker until I select progressive mode in game. Switching this on stopped it so I could actually read what was on the screen.

A bit like when you point a camera at a TV with a low refresh rate.
that has nothing todo with deflicker, its just your tv doesnt like the raw interlaced ntsc mode which is totally understandable.
Updated the .net with latest release.
FIX94 is deflicker disabling something you have already added or looking into?
if you wanna check out deflicker in an actual game set the video mode to auto and open up melee, there in the settings you can disable and enable deflicker to see its effects on the graphics live. Its just an option I found was pretty neat since it looks much better for me with deflicker off so I thought I would implement it for all games via nintendont.

I see... So if I launch from USBLOADER GX (having Video mode set to SYSTEM DEFAULT) is deflicker active?
yes, it is the game default and cant be disabled in anything besides melee normally, pretty weird setting, no idea why it was only in a single game.

Reactions: Gomza

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
by default, deflicker is always enabled
That may be what's confusing.
The blurry effect is always enabled by default, the option is not selected by default (Auto is the default).

The option is set to OFF by default while you say it's enabled, and setting it to ON disables the blurry effect.
enable/disable is maybe not the best word to describe the effect.

To me, the setting is disabled by default : (4<<16) set to 0 means disabled.

or did I use it incorrectly?
maybe it's the contrary, when you select this option ((4<<16) set to 1) the game is blurry?

MutantlX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
that has nothing todo with deflicker, its just your tv doesnt like the raw interlaced ntsc mode which is totally understandable.

Weird, it did fix the problem however. Was the only setting I changed that I thought might help. As the screen was flickering.

I'll add that I had force pal 480p enabled as well so if the game was running at 50hz I might of got flickering?

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
So if nobody's tested them why are people assuming they don't work?
becuase the games were on the compat list with issues and got removed, so to see if they were actualy fixed the person that posted it needs to try it again and no one else can becuase they need the phisical copy.Whenever there is a new devo version all games with issues get removed so ppl need to try them again, and as we all know most ppl never come back to try the games again so they wont be added again to the compat list.So we never know if they were actualy fixed or not.

Weird, it did fix the problem however. Was the only setting I changed that I thought might help. As the screen was flickering.

I'll add that I had force pal 480p enabled as well so if the game was running at 50hz I might of got flickering?
remenber to use progressive you need to force pal60(if it doesnt have that option) on pal games, progressive wasnt meant for 50Hz.

MutantlX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, I've got it all sorted now. A couple of games I need to set force NTSC and I'm good to go. I now avoid pal games tbh just to keep things simple. I'm loving nintendont and using it a lot.

Thanks to the devs!

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yeah, I've got it all sorted now. A couple of games I need to set force NTSC and I'm good to go. I now avoid pal games tbh just to keep things simple. I'm loving nintendont and using it a lot.

Thanks to the devs!
same here i prefer using ntsc versions of all games becuase of always 60hz and i can always force progressive when they dont have the option to do so anyway.

sideskroll

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru

if you wanna check out deflicker in an actual game set the video mode to auto and open up melee, there in the settings you can disable and enable deflicker to see its effects on the graphics live. Its just an option I found was pretty neat since it looks much better for me with deflicker off so I thought I would implement it for all games via nintendont.

yes, it is the game default and cant be disabled in anything besides melee normally, pretty weird setting, no idea why it was only in a single game.

I just tried the setting from USBLOADER GX.
I may be misunderstanding the on/off process but with the DEFAULT (OFF) setting the game looks full of jaggies and blocky. And If I turn that setting ON games become somewhat less jaggied/blocky but you can clearly tell there's something going on cause everything looks very blurry.

TL;DR: ON= Jaggies and blocks in every game. OFF= blurry. (At least when launching it from USBLOADER GX)
Also, I'd like to know what is ACTUALLY happening behind the scenes. Meaning, is that something a GCN would normally do? Is it something that can be triggered from within a Wii? Is it a hack?
Thanks.
That may be what's confusing.
The blurry effect is always enabled by default, the option is not selected by default (Auto is the default).

The option is set to OFF by default while you say it's enabled, and setting it to ON disables the blurry effect.
enable/disable is maybe not the best word to describe the effect.

To me, the setting is disabled by default : (4<<16) set to 0 means disabled.

or did I use it incorrectly?
maybe it's the contrary, when you select this option ((4<<16) set to 1) the game is blurry?

Cyan, actually it's the other way around (At least on my setup) by default the "jaggies and blocks/no effects" is active. IF I explicitly turn on the option in USBLOADER GX the blurry effect comes into the picture.
PS: What do you mean by 4<<16? Is that the on/off code? I'm actually really interested in what's happening behind the scenes with that code... Is that "poor mans AA" embedded on every GCN game? Is it a hack from the Wii side?

SuperrSonic

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico

Actually, Sonic Heroes has an option called Anti Flicker and if you observe an xfb screenshot it is really the same thing as deflicker.
F8oyV1S.png

jv5tZ8i.png

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
with the DEFAULT (OFF) setting the game looks full of jaggies and blocky. And If I turn that setting ON games become [...]very blurry.

TL;DR: ON= Jaggies and blocks in every game. OFF= blurry. (At least when launching it from USBLOADER GX)
I think you inverted your tldr.

So, the "deflicker" is an option to add blurry-ness, I thought it was to remove it. That's why I didn't understood the ON/OFF.
edit:
Yeah, it looks clearer with that option OFF. but some game may benefit from enabling that option.

the DF is a video mode setting that games can enable/disable, not really a hack.
it's like editing/forcing a different video mode (width, height, DF, prog, int, etc.)

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do you mean by 4<<16? Is that the on/off code? I'm actually really interested in what's happening behind the scenes with that code... Is that "poor mans AA" embedded on every GCN game? Is it a hack from the Wii side?

4<<16 is just which flag bit the setting is in the Nintendont config file. It's the same as 0x00040000.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
is video mode NONE working? to configure video in external loader and use that as video mode in nintendont. no video mode reloading/rmod/etc.
setting a custom viWidth doesn't work. I'm trying to make the game full screen (overscan fix) and 4:3 on Wii.

grrlib is probably forcing a reload. I'll try to disable it.

AbdallahTerro

da KiNG
Trophies
Website
ccabz.wordpress.com
XP
Country
is video mode NONE working? to configure video in external loader and use that as video mode in nintendont. no video mode reloading/rmod/etc.
setting a custom viWidth doesn't work. I'm trying to make the game full screen (overscan fix) and 4:3 on Wii.

grrlib is probably forcing a reload. I'll try to disable it.
Viwidth in grrlib only works in the loader menu and help remove the black bars. It doesn't work in games

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: https://youtube.com/watch?v=Y23PPkftXIY