Gaming Nintendo Confirms Wii U Has Flopped, Slashes Sales Forecast By ~70%

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A lot of ideas presented via Twitter. Feeds I follow link to articles. Expand exposure, market the Wii U, and the rest are details. My take on it is likely wrong but that is what I read.

Warrior522

"In all things, balance."
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good lord. I don't think I've ever seen more pathetic fanboying in my life.

"NINTURRDURR IZNT DOING BAD"

"The hard, documented facts say otherwise."

"BUT TEHY R STILL TEH BESTEST"

"And yet their latest console has sold horribly, they are in deep financial trouble, and they are being forced to overhaul their entire company."

"B-BUT MUH GAMES"

"Are either "on the way" or lazy rehashes with no meaningful third-party support whatsoever."

Sorry fanboys, you lose completely as always.

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good lord. I don't think I've ever seen more pathetic fanboying in my life.

"NINTURRDURR IZNT DOING BAD"

"The hard, documented facts say otherwise."

"BUT TEHY R STILL TEH BESTEST"

"And yet their latest console has sold horribly, they are in deep financial trouble, and they are being forced to overhaul their entire company."

"B-BUT MUH GAMES"

"Are either "on the way" or lazy rehashes with no meaningful third-party support whatsoever."

Sorry fanboys, you lose completely as always.

What the heck is this? It certainly isn't the conversation in this thread. So this pathetic fanboying your seeing is in your own imagination.

I wouldn't characterize whats going on as deep financial trouble forcing the overhaul of the entire company. If you do, than you simply don't know whats going on. I guess you think the discussion is" Nintendo is the best, they are kicking butt, they have the best console and the best games!" while you laugh "haha, stoopid nentidno fanz, your dumm, nintindo is stoopid and they are doomed!". Considering the first part of that discussion isn't there you simly look a tool coming in here with the second part. As far as games go, Nintendos financial trouble would barely be classified as such if you compare it to Sony or Microsoft.

How many Wii U owners are fanboys who only play games on their nintendo console?

Am I being a pathetic Nintendo fanboy for simply stating Nintendo's financial situation is not that of a company that is about to die and that they will continue to put out games for the Wii U? If you enjoy Nintendo games you should buy one, if you don't, then while you are not buying one you don't have to act like an ass...it's not a good look.

I will go ahead and post this again just for you. Then you can go ahead and say "while that doesn't matter because Nintendo is still stupid and if you like Nintendo you are stupid because I like other things and not Nintendo so liking Nintendo must be stupid because I don't like it."
2190457-zujhd.png

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Can you please spoiler your massive graphs? They're really huge and take a while to scroll past. We're all glad and happy that Nintendo is (or rather "was", seeing that the Wii U isn't doing particularly well) very profitable in their business ventures, which doesn't by proxy mean that they make good consoles or good games.

If you're really trying to argue that Nintendo's financial state is perfectly fine at this point in time, posting profit charts is pointless anyways since they don't account for a very important factor of business - expenses. Nintendo earned a lot of money over the years, sure, but they've spent most of it. It's not like all this money is is a Scrooge McDuck Shigeru Miyamoto moneybank, it's in constant circulation.

EDIT: It's an operating income graph - my bad. Nevertheless, it doesn't mean that Nintendo has over $35 million - most of this money was spent on properties, it's not actual on-hand money.

According to Forbes, Nintendo has aprox. $11.6 billion on-hand and that's it - their previous ventures are completely irrelevant because it's money they no longer have - it was spent on development, properties etc.

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you please spoiler your massive charts? They're really huge and take a while to scroll past. We're all glad and happy that Nintendo is (or rather "was", seeing that the Wii U isn't doing particularly well) very profitable in their business ventures, which doesn't by proxy mean that they make good consoles or good games.

If you're really trying to argue that Nintendo's financial state is perfectly fine at this point in time, posting profit charts is pointless anyways since they don't account for a very important factor of business - expenses. Nintendo earned a lot of money over the years, sure, but they've spent most of it. It's not like all this money is is a Scrooge McDuck Shigeru Miyamoto moneybank, it's in constant circulation.

According to Forbes, Nintendo has aprox. $11.6 billion on-hand and that's it - their previous ventures are completely irrelevant because it's money they no longer have - it was spent on development, properties etc.

Right, whether or not they make good consoles or good games is a realm of opinion and nothing more.

They have enough money that someone buying them out is basically impossible, it would cost way too much. 30 years of positive earnings in this business coupled with a huge cash reserve means that a few years with losses is not the end of the line. It's not like they are bleeding tons of money, the last quarter was profitable even if the year looks to be in the red overall. 11.6 billion on hand is not very much? Heck if they made 35 billion in 30 years I think having that much on hand is a heckuva a lot. Besides that chart is taking in to account expenses, that's a big reason Microsoft is so far in the red, that's not all just losses taken on hardward sales. Just realize what we are talking about here is the panic over that line sloping negative for the first time in 30 years and I am pretty sure its not sloping anywhere near as bad as those other 2 colors on the graph.

You do see that Ps3 came close to wiping out all the profit Sony made on PS1 and PS2 combined? If PS4 doesn't change that trend are we so certain we will get a PS5? I can see Sony winning this console war handily and still never releasing a PS5........If Xbone tanks anywhere nearly as bad as the original Xbox will we see another one? I am more certain the Wii U will see a successor because Nintendo can lose money on the Wii U and still has the 3DS to offset that and they are more entrenched in this business than the other guys.....for the most part its all they do. Whether or not you like them or the games or their consoles they are going to have do much worse for far longer before we need to worry about them going away.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Right, whether or not they make good consoles or good games is a realm of opinion and nothing more.

They have enough money that someone buying them out is basically impossible, it would cost way too much. 30 years of positive earnings in this business coupled with a huge cash reserve means that a few years with losses is not the end of the line. It's not like they are bleeding tons of money, the last quarter was profitable even if the year looks to be in the red overall. 11.6 billion on hand is not very much? Heck if they made 35 billion in 30 years I think having that much on hand is a heckuva a lot. Besides that chart is taking in to account expenses, that's a big reason Microsoft is so far in the red, that's not all just losses taken on hardward sales. Just realize what we are talking about here is the panic over that line sloping negative for the first time in 30 years and I am pretty sure its not sloping anywhere near as bad as those other 2 colors on the graph.
Didn't give it a good enough look, I thought it was a profits graph, not an operating income graph. You're entirely correct about the expenses part, my bad. Nobody in their right mind is going to argue that Nintendo will go bankrupt all of a sudden, we're talking about a negative trend. The reaction itself may be panic-like, but the current situation is the result of their previous business ventures, so we can't really call it something that came out of the blue.

Reactions: Ray Lewis

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo is going to sell good with the big game coming out in 11 days..:) Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
I cant wait to play it :)
I saw some tweet about "Iwata says Smash Brothers and Mario Kart will drive the Wii U." I did not dig into that article BUT I'd expect those are the last "best" shots at a turnaround. I'd love to see Metroid and a new Zelda (not Hyrule Warriors). Still, a majority of people seem to be hooked on Smash Brothers and Mario Kart. I guess, "We will see" applies here, lol.

Seems unlikely to move significantly more consoles.
Good game though.

Was there a bump in Wii sales with Donkey Kong Country ?
Wii sales have nothing to do with Wii U sales. Wii was selling well from the start and so games adding to it were more of a "riding the wave" type of release. Wii U is still waiting to get a wave started. If I were to bet...I'd bet DK would not appeal to more than say...Mario 3d World did. I highly doubt it will be a system mover. Smash Brothers and Mario Kart are the "last best chances" in my opinion. Metroid and Zelda are at the TOP of my list but historically speaking, Foxi4 will correct me if I am wrong (lmfao), I don't think Zelda and Metroid are system "selling" titles. Not like what is needed anyway.

osirisjem

I miss the Wii remotes
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I highly doubt it will be a system mover. Smash Brothers and Mario Kart are the "last best chances" in my opinion.
MK + SSBB are the best chances ... but the idea that individual titles are system movers is probably simplistic. A few Nintendo fanboys might pickup a Wii U after the Mario Kart release, but it won't appreciably increase sales to the average console shopper.

To me the only thing that could help the Wii U is if third party developers got on board in a big way. And I don't see how that is possible.

Console game makers are happy Nintendo is out of the console business and they can concentrate their efforts on XB1 and PS4.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Too bad Nintendo isn't gonna leave the console business, they are in a much better position than Sega, since they had numerous console failures. Nintendo has only had one, but the VB was pulled in less than year.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
nintendo has to change though their archaic ways are killing them. they can't just do everything their way anymore and hope to come out on top. times have changed it's time to evolve

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Nintendo is like Manchester United, they seems to love cutting corners in spending money... but sooner or later its going to kick you in the butt and as of late that is what is happening.

Nintendo should have bought Atlus 1 I'm not an Atlus fanboy or RPG for that matter, but I Understand that Atlus makes some great RPG's and what type of games is missing in the main console as of late.

Which all brings me to the point of killing of the mother series. why?

Nintendo should have invested in a console with real GPU power... all the AAA games have great graphics. and the devs just dont want to water down they games or have the time and money for less powerful GPU.

Which brings me to games like FIFA, which sells alot, but if someone had Nintendo console _AND_ a MS/Sony console because of the graphics people will buy it on the MS/Sony console.

Nintendo for some reason dont takes chance in new franchises for the older aged people. if Nintendo did a open world type of game with blood and a good gameplay. who the fuck wouldn't want to buy that knowing that is made by Nintendo.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: I appreciate the insight!