Hardware New PSP in the works...

funwithplaydough

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apparently some information about a newly redesigned PSP was released.
psp.gif

QUOTE said:
Keep in mind this isn't Playstation Portable 2, but rather a redesign of the original, so it will be sporting the same internal hardware. But that's about the only thing that hasn't changed. The new Playstation Portable will have a much slimmer design, thanks mostly to a new LED screen that will deliver an ultra-crisp image but take up far less space. That LED also helps pump up the battery life of this sexy new model, which can last as much as four times longer than the original PSP. While the new PSP still makes use of the UMD drive, it will be a faster version and to help speed up loadtimes and gameplay, the portable will come packed with 8GBs of internal flash memory. Finally, the PSP's much maligned buttons have been revamped and the D-Pad has gotten a major overhaul, giving portable gamers something more like a Playstation 3 D-pad to play with.

The company is still trying to decide whether or not they want to include a built-in camera, as they weigh whether the cost of adding the device will be worth the benefit to gamers. Our money is on no camera because of the competitive price issues. Those of you holding out for a touchscreen are, unfortunately, going to have to wait, though word has it that it will most like make an appearance in Sony's next portable gaming device. While the new PSP will remain black, Sony is still trying to decide whether it will have a glossy or matte finish.

The final price for this new PSP hasn't been set, but Sony is hoping to sell it for under $170 or so. Manufacturing should commence in the upcoming weeks, and the product is going to be officially unveiled at this year's E3. The sale date being tossed around is August, but don't be surprised if it's pushed back to September. What's this reworked PSP called? It doesn't have a name as of yet, but may we suggest "PSP Slim"?

source

I feel like wasted some $$ after reading this
mad.gif

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
Expect to hear about it at E3 this year.

I've got a PSP and I'm very happy with the design. Better buttons would be nice but I'm not having that big a problem with it. The PSP is already very sleek and stylish, especially compared to the DS Phat. But if they can improve the design even more that's quite a feat.

As for the faster UMD drive, who uses UMDs anymore? Memory stick loading is the way to go, its much faster.

If you can't run homebrew on the new design then there's no point getting a PSP Slim.

sbassix

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Dang... I wonder how they can add so many new features and upgrades, but sell it for a lesser price then the original PSP...

Not that im complaining or anything
smile.gif

funwithplaydough

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I may break down and get one as well but only after I sell my current one and only after I see these get hacked as this may be Sony's attempt to fix 1st gen hack issues.

skullstatue

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would buy a PSP in a heart beat, if it weren't for the shit-gobbling firmware monster that they have unleashed upon the homebrew community.

sbassix

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
8GB internal memory, what a load of crap.

This is all just bloody speculation.
Your probobly right... My guess is that Sony made a lot of money by selling there memory sticks seperate from the system. and By not only selling the new design for less, but to take away the profit of the memory stick sales would take away a lot of money

754boy

:D
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This aint gonna save the PSP cuz the games are still lacking. I hope it does get released though. That should cause a price drop in the old ones and maybe I'll get the original for a bargain.

sbassix

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This aint gonna save the PSP cuz the games are still lacking. I hope it does get released though. That should cause a price drop in the old ones and maybe I'll get the original for a bargain.
The article that the OP posted said that they were gonna sell the new one for 170... Witch is cheaper then the old one, and you dont even have to buy a memory stick

nephdj

Trophies
XP
Country
that rumor has been out since the psp was release, people keep making "internal memory" a rumor since then

phoood

taking it to a whole new level.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I agree that most of the 'too good to be true' features are bull, but I personally believe sony is truly selling a slimmer, more efficient model of the psp at a low price. The technology was here years ago, it just wasn't cost effective.

sbassix

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I agree that most of the 'too good to be true' features are bull, but I personally believe sony is truly selling a slimmer, more efficient model of the psp at a low price. The technology was here years ago, it just wasn't cost effective.
What do you think about the internal memory???

You think thats a really gonna happen???

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
The biggest problem with PSP is Sony's failure to prevent custom firmwares -that is a gift to us, but is a security breach to Sony- If they were to change something to the PSP, it must be a new board that prevents or makes downgrading/custom firmwaring harder.

I have no problem with the old one's hardware. The only problem with software/firmware was it was too easy to downgrade and install custom firmware. I own fewer PSP games than DS games for that reason (I still buy both handheld console games, the ones that I'll treasure)

Nenyana

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I will only buy this if I can run emulation and homebrew on it. If I can't do that then I do not care what improvements they add to the Psp.

Darkforce

DERP!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
With all the rumours going around, I think it's safe to say that a PSP redesign is on the cards, but in regard to what others have metioned, the statement that the PSP will have 8GB of internal memory DOES NOT reduce the credibility of the article as I see it. Whilst 8GB of flash memory is expensive at the moment ($70 or so) by fall when the new PSP is released costs will have fallen, so a price point of $170 is not out of the question. Also the internal memory could just be refering to an 8GB pro Duo bundled with the machine (à la 1GB bundle). Some may be curious as to why Sony would want to bundle so much memory with the system considering the profit they make from their overpriced proprietary media - If the inclusion of internal memory is true it would suggest that along with the smaller system profile, Sony are trying harder to market the new PSP as an ipod/zune competitor (in addition to playing games). Since the DS has now established itself as the superior gaming device, Sony will most likely now try to push the PSPs multimedia capabilities hoping to persue a larger chunk of the personal music/video player market.

*Deep breath*

...Or something like that.

smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    MrNoobNub @ MrNoobNub: why is everyone so horny