Help me get my next gaming machine

rcpd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'll start this out this way. I'm "old" (I guess almost 40 is old now?) and most of my video game memory was between the original Nintendo NES up to the GameCube. Recently I finally got a Switch, but I had one when they first came out and it broke so I'm just replacing my broken one. Essentially, my console gaming experience quit in 2002 when we got our GameCube and a bunch of games. I play on PC sure. But I want to add a new way to play with family and friends online perhaps. So, lets start with what I got and go from there.

I own all of these actual consoles:
-NES
-SNES
-Genesis
-GameCube
-Dreamcast
-PSP
-3DS
-Switch

Realistically, I'm torn between a Playstation 5 or an Xbox Series One S 1Tb because I have never owned an Xbox and the last Sony console I owned was a Playstation 2. So between both, I'm seriously behind. I would like to fix that. Wife agreed that I could purchase a console and a couple games but honestly, I don't know which one to buy and what games to get with it. So I guess we go that route and I get into some of my favorite games and then using those you can make an appropriate suggestion!

Crash Bandicoot 2
Final Fantasy 6/7/8/9/10
Resident Evil 1/2/3/4
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1/2/3/4
Anything Mario related
Anything Smash Bros related
Mario Kart
Tomb Raider 1/2/3
Grand Theft Auto Vice City
Sonic 1/2/3
Gran Turismo

The worst part is that I'm in a rehab facility that has classes I have to take daily so I really don't have time to look into which game is on each console and how they look and play. Almost die and live, you'll know and understand exactly what I'm saying right now. We do shit every day except Sunday and usually don't quit until 6pm. With my brain injury, it calls for sleep right around 8pm which means I just don't have time to research this stuff. Hell, I gotta get a shower in too!

Essentially what I'm asking is help me decide which console I'm buying next and why: PS5 or Xbox One or do I wait because soon Sony and Microsoft will release replacements? If you supply a game that should be investigated, please be sure to type the name out fully and correctly so I can search it on Sundays and sadly I do require that to be accurate because my memory is just non-existent because of my accident Thanks folks, for helping me decide! I really appreciate it!

rookiesearcher

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, so I think you will be perfectly fine with either, the Xbox S or the PS5. The controller for the Xbox Series S is one of the finest controllers of all time, which is certainly a massive plus. The PS5 has some exclusives, such as the Spider Man games, which I personally haven't played but they are supposed to be absolutely amazing, The Last Of Us, a post-apocalyptic and great game, Final Fantasy. Xbox has Palworld, the "Pokemon with guns ripoff" you may have heard about, Starfield, a very popular space exploration game, Forza Horizon 5, a very popular racing game. If you play a bit on PC, then Xbox game pass would be a bonus as it works with windows. Xbox game pass is better than PS Plus.

In terms of specs, it's pretty much the same. While one may have slightly higher/better performance, it's a gain too small to be seen.

The Xbox will accentuate your PC gaming experience better. I would like to add, that whatever choice you finalize on, just be happy about it and try not to let anything dissuade you. Ultimately this decision boils down to you. You will be happy gaming with both, and the most important thing is the games supported on them. You might want to go with PS5 because you can already play those Xbox exclusives on your PC.

On your point about should you wait, there really isn't much point. There won't likely be a new console for PlayStation or Xbox coming out soon enough, although there might for the Switch.
Post automatically merged:

Since you already have a PC to game with, I would go with the PS5. You already can play those Xbox exclusives on PC, so you might as well get a PS5 to let you play all the other games you were missing out on. For example, Final Fantasy is on the Playstation. In terms of specs, the PS5 and Xbox S are pretty much the same. You wont see a noticeable FPS boost with either console.

On your point about waiting, there is no point. There isn't likely going to be a new console coming out soon, except for the switch.

On one final note, it is important for you to know that whatever you choose, don't let yourself be dissuaded by some new shiny object distracting you. You will be happy with either one. If you are perfectly fine still playing all the games you already do, and are not interested in the PlayStation exclusives, then the Xbox S might allow for better gaming than your PC does depending on how good it is.

Last edited by rookiesearcher,
Reactions: rcpd

rcpd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, so I think you will be perfectly fine with either, the Xbox S or the PS5. The controller for the Xbox Series S is one of the finest controllers of all time, which is certainly a massive plus. The PS5 has some exclusives, such as the Spider Man games, which I personally haven't played but they are supposed to be absolutely amazing, The Last Of Us, a post-apocalyptic and great game, Final Fantasy. Xbox has Palworld, the "Pokemon with guns ripoff" you may have heard about, Starfield, a very popular space exploration game, Forza Horizon 5, a very popular racing game. If you play a bit on PC, then Xbox game pass would be a bonus as it works with windows. Xbox game pass is better than PS Plus.

In terms of specs, it's pretty much the same. While one may have slightly higher/better performance, it's a gain too small to be seen.

The Xbox will accentuate your PC gaming experience better. I would like to add, that whatever choice you finalize on, just be happy about it and try not to let anything dissuade you. Ultimately this decision boils down to you. You will be happy gaming with both, and the most important thing is the games supported on them. You might want to go with PS5 because you can already play those Xbox exclusives on your PC.

On your point about should you wait, there really isn't much point. There won't likely be a new console for PlayStation or Xbox coming out soon enough, although there might for the Switch.

Since you already have a PC to game with, I would go with the PS5. You already can play those Xbox exclusives on PC, so you might as well get a PS5 to let you play all the other games you were missing out on. For example, Final Fantasy is on the Playstation. In terms of specs, the PS5 and Xbox S are pretty much the same. You wont see a noticeable FPS boost with either console.

On your point about waiting, there is no point. There isn't likely going to be a new console coming out soon, except for the switch.

On one final note, it is important for you to know that whatever you choose, don't let yourself be dissuaded by some new shiny object distracting you. You will be happy with either one. If you are perfectly fine still playing all the games you already do, and are not interested in the PlayStation exclusives, then the Xbox S might allow for better gaming than your PC does depending on how good it is.
My PC is fairly good because it’s new with a pretty decent graphics card. But because it can play mostly everything I’ve thrown at it, I want to look into consoles I don’t actually own.

You kind of made the decision for me. I’m probably going to get a PS5 because I had some time this morning to look up what PC games are also on Xbox and it’s quite a lot but they’re also not available on PS. Since PlayStation has quite a few games I would like to try. Especially the Final Fantasy games.

One thing I’m not fairly into is emulation. I’d rather own the console and the game than emulate it on my PC. I have zero interest in exploiting my console, so I do not care if that’s even an option. Wife comes over today. Guess I’m going to call her and have her stop to get me a PS5 and any Final Fantasy game available so I know which ones I don’t have to buy digitally.

Thanks!

Reactions: rookiesearcher

rookiesearcher

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No problem, I'm glad I could help you! It's great to see someone not super young like me also having fun gaming.
One thing I’m not fairly into is emulation. I’d rather own the console and the game than emulate it on my PC. I have zero interest in exploiting my console, so I do not care if that’s even an option.
I don't know if this is because I said you could play the Xbox games on PC, but if so, I wasn't talking about emulation. A lot of Xbox games are just also naturally on PC since both are Microsoft.

rcpd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No problem, I'm glad I could help you! It's great to see someone not super young like me also having fun gaming.

I don't know if this is because I said you could play the Xbox games on PC, but if so, I wasn't talking about emulation. A lot of Xbox games are just also naturally on PC since both are Microsoft.
No, naturally I'd rather play the games on their hardware than run them on a PC using special software. Since I own a MacBook Pro, I can really only run Windows as a virtual machine.

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly it sounds like a ROG ally or SteamDeck maybe a better option for you, you mentioned classics which can be easily emulated even though you said you want natural hardware it's really not that difficult to set up. You also mentioned rehab situations so I'm sure you'd love to take these devices with you to treatment if there is any travels. Unless you're a hardcore Spiderman fan that wants to play Spiderman 2 it's really the only reason to get a ps5. A series s is decent for a midrange console you'll save a couple hundred and really won't tell that much of difference to the naked eye compared to X I don't care who wants to argue about specs honestly if you like your halo but even those titles are ported to steam.

Look at new exclusive lists coming out see what's ported to what that's the best way to make up your mind, most others eventually get ported out to pc or there is a way to emulate them. Plus one reason I went ps5 is m. 2 expandable storage you'll be stuck with expensive memory card expansion tied to Microsoft with Xbox.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
But I want to add a new way to play with family and friends online perhaps.
Well, there's your answer. Figure out what will let you "play with family and friends online perhaps". They're the ones you want to play with; why ask us?

Otherwise I am sure you still have many fine games on hand already that you haven't played with and don't need to buy anything new.

rcpd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, there's your answer. Figure out what will let you "play with family and friends online perhaps". They're the ones you want to play with; why ask us?

Otherwise I am sure you still have many fine games on hand already that you haven't played with and don't need to buy anything new.
I asked you all because my family all said: "We have PS5's but we don't play them anymore" which made me turn them out.

Honestly it sounds like a ROG ally or SteamDeck maybe a better option for you, you mentioned classics which can be easily emulated even though you said you want natural hardware it's really not that difficult to set up. You also mentioned rehab situations so I'm sure you'd love to take these devices with you to treatment if there is any travels. Unless you're a hardcore Spiderman fan that wants to play Spiderman 2 it's really the only reason to get a ps5. A series s is decent for a midrange console you'll save a couple hundred and really won't tell that much of difference to the naked eye compared to X I don't care who wants to argue about specs honestly if you like your halo but even those titles are ported to steam.

Look at new exclusive lists coming out see what's ported to what that's the best way to make up your mind, most others eventually get ported out to pc or there is a way to emulate them. Plus one reason I went ps5 is m. 2 expandable storage you'll be stuck with expensive memory card expansion tied to Microsoft with Xbox.
I looked into the Steam Deck. Its priced right and the games on it are definitely on other systems, which might be some reason I purchase it when I get out of therapy. For now, I was mostly interested in a device I cannot take with me like I do my Switch. Something I can invite others into my room to play with me on Xbox.

Which is what I have now. And Xbox Series X is what I have. I'll get the Steam Deck in about 6 months when I finally get out of the health therapy location I'm in now.

rookiesearcher

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, naturally I'd rather play the games on their hardware than run them on a PC using special software. Since I own a MacBook Pro, I can really only run Windows as a virtual machine.
Ah, so you have a Mac, that explains it. I thought you had Windows. On Windows, you don't have to emulate to play Xbox games.

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I asked you all because my family all said: "We have PS5's but we don't play them anymore" which made me turn them out.

I looked into the Steam Deck. Its priced right and the games on it are definitely on other systems, which might be some reason I purchase it when I get out of therapy. For now, I was mostly interested in a device I cannot take with me like I do my Switch. Something I can invite others into my room to play with me on Xbox.

Which is what I have now. And Xbox Series X is what I have. I'll get the Steam Deck in about 6 months when I finally get out of the health therapy location I'm in now.
You can invite others to play on it in dock mode and just connect another controller via Bluetooth

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PS5 probably since Gran Turismo is a Playstation first party, since Gran Turismo games are only on Playstation console. If you want to play Gran Turismo 7 you need a PS4 or PS5.

Last edited by Hayato213,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Does that mean you have other friends you want to play online with..? Perhaps they only play games online that do not interest you? Can you not play with them online with your PC?

I'm just calling it like I see it. Online play is probably a lot more fun with friends than it is with strangers, and I might even play more online if I knew people who were regularly doing so. If the principal draw of a new device is playing online then you may find it disappointing.

rcpd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does that mean you have other friends you want to play online with..? Perhaps they only play games online that do not interest you? Can you not play with them online with your PC?

I'm just calling it like I see it. Online play is probably a lot more fun with friends than it is with strangers, and I might even play more online if I knew people who were regularly doing so. If the principal draw of a new device is playing online then you may find it disappointing.
I want to play with my family, mostly my brothers. Why? Because they’re significantly younger than I am, so basically I raised them and acted like their father when he wasn’t available. If I could keep playing with them, that would be excellent.

They’re not the whole thing though. I want to play with random people online as well because hopefully I can make some online friends or associates and keep contact with them.

Basically, I’ve never really had anything to play online with because I grew up with 100% offline games. Thanks, NES, SNES, Genesis, PS1, PS2, and N64. So I’m very new to learning how this works and I hope my family will be very helpful.

You can invite others to play on it in dock mode and just connect another controller via Bluetooth
I suppose that’s possible but my dock is long gone.

Since you already own a capable PC, I'd go with a PS5 since you can already play the majority of the Xbox catalog on your PC.
My PC is a MacBook Pro. It’s not playing games from PC.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I want to play with my family, mostly my brothers. Why? Because they’re significantly younger than I am, so basically I raised them and acted like their father when he wasn’t available. If I could keep playing with them, that would be excellent.
Very admirable, but if they already have PS5s and don't play them anymore, perhaps they do not have the same enthusiasm for gaming?

I want to play with random people online as well because hopefully I can make some online friends or associates and keep contact with them.
I don't think that's a very likely outcome. But I'll shut up now.

rcpd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very admirable, but if they already have PS5s and don't play them anymore, perhaps they do not have the same enthusiasm for gaming?

I don't think that's a very likely outcome. But I'll shut up now.
They do have PS5's and Xbox's. They don't play either right now because they both recently became more interested in their wife/girlfriend. Family first, my friend. Family first. I'm hoping my purchase will slide them back into light game playing with me :)

Say what you want, I won't get mad at you. But also if I don't agree with you, I won't even acknowledge it. No point getting all bent out of shape over it.

pojes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'll start this out this way. I'm "old" (I guess almost 40 is old now?) and most of my video game memory was between the original Nintendo NES up to the GameCube. Recently I finally got a Switch, but I had one when they first came out and it broke so I'm just replacing my broken one. Essentially, my console gaming experience quit in 2002 when we got our GameCube and a bunch of games. I play on PC sure. But I want to add a new way to play with family and friends online perhaps. So, lets start with what I got and go from there.

I own all of these actual consoles:
-NES
-SNES
-Genesis
-GameCube
-Dreamcast
-PSP
-3DS
-Switch

Realistically, I'm torn between a Playstation 5 or an Xbox Series One S 1Tb because I have never owned an Xbox and the last Sony console I owned was a Playstation 2. So between both, I'm seriously behind. I would like to fix that. Wife agreed that I could purchase a console and a couple games but honestly, I don't know which one to buy and what games to get with it. So I guess we go that route and I get into some of my favorite games and then using those you can make an appropriate suggestion!

Crash Bandicoot 2
Final Fantasy 6/7/8/9/10
Resident Evil 1/2/3/4
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1/2/3/4
Anything Mario related
Anything Smash Bros related
Mario Kart
Tomb Raider 1/2/3
Grand Theft Auto Vice City
Sonic 1/2/3
Gran Turismo
Samsung ED46C Quick Setup Guide online
The worst part is that I'm in a rehab facility that has classes I have to take daily so I really don't have time to look into which game is on each console and how they look and play. Almost die and live, you'll know and understand exactly what I'm saying right now. We do shit every day except Sunday and usually don't quit until 6pm. With my brain injury, it calls for sleep right around 8pm which means I just don't have time to research this stuff. Hell, I gotta get a shower in too!

Essentially what I'm asking is help me decide which console I'm buying next and why: PS5 or Xbox One or do I wait because soon Sony and Microsoft will release replacements? If you supply a game that should be investigated, please be sure to type the name out fully and correctly so I can search it on Sundays and sadly I do require that to be accurate because my memory is just non-existent because of my accident Thanks folks, for helping me decide! I really appreciate it!
I'm going to build a new gaming pc, and I'm willing to spend $800-1050 USD ($1060-1400 Canadian)

Can you please suggest some build options for that price range for me?

Thanks!

rcpd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to build a new gaming pc, and I'm willing to spend $800-1050 USD ($1060-1400 Canadian)

Can you please suggest some build options for that price range for me?

Thanks!
Considering I purchased a MacBook Pro, no I cannot. Sorry,

k0walski

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Lithuania
@rcpd
I'd say - wait a bit for PS5 Pro to come. With 3 times faster than current PS5 (as they say), it will definitely be a powerful console so far. I'm still on PS4 Slim and thinking about PS5 Pro... However, I recently found myself playing more on my SteamDeck (which one can connect to a TV/projector/monitor), attach a keyboard/mouse via USB hub and use it like an ordinary gaming PC (not pretty powerful though). There are plenty of really fantastic titles for both, SD and PS (like Crash Bandicoot series, Spyro, Mass Effect, Kena, Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, Beyond: two souls etc). Also, they say, PS VR on PS5 is a real thing (never tried as never had one). Plus, as it was already mentioned, Grand Tourismo also pretty nice. Especially if you decide to buy (in the future) a gaming wheel/shifter..., like Logitech G29 or Thrustmaster T300, or... say, Thrustmaster SF1000 ;) with matching base).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto