New PSP in the works...

Discussion in 'PSP - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by funwithplaydough, Jun 9, 2007.

Jun 9, 2007
  1. funwithplaydough
    OP

Newcomer funwithplaydough Advanced Member

United States
    Apparently some information about a newly redesigned PSP was released. [​IMG]

source

I feel like wasted some $$ after reading this [​IMG] .

2. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    Just a rumor for now, but I'd be expecting Sony to be releasing some kind of hardware update in the future anyway.

3. BoneMonkey

Banned BoneMonkey The cheese stash is a lie.

United States
    now i want a PSP !

4. Bridgy84

Member Bridgy84 Yub Nub

United States
    Hmm a better laser and the added batt life would be enough to sway me to buy another psp. I just hope with the added life we see games at 333 made!!

5. Opium

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Australia
    Expect to hear about it at E3 this year.

I've got a PSP and I'm very happy with the design. Better buttons would be nice but I'm not having that big a problem with it. The PSP is already very sleek and stylish, especially compared to the DS Phat. But if they can improve the design even more that's quite a feat.

As for the faster UMD drive, who uses UMDs anymore? Memory stick loading is the way to go, its much faster.

If you can't run homebrew on the new design then there's no point getting a PSP Slim.

6. sbassix

Newcomer sbassix Member

United States
    Dang... I wonder how they can add so many new features and upgrades, but sell it for a lesser price then the original PSP...

Not that im complaining or anything [​IMG]

7. funwithplaydough
    OP

Newcomer funwithplaydough Advanced Member

United States
    I may break down and get one as well but only after I sell my current one and only after I see these get hacked as this may be Sony's attempt to fix 1st gen hack issues.

8. MC DUI

Member MC DUI GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    8GB internal memory, what a load of crap.

This is all just bloody speculation.

9. skullstatue

Banned skullstatue Banned

United States
    I would buy a PSP in a heart beat, if it weren't for the shit-gobbling firmware monster that they have unleashed upon the homebrew community.

10. sbassix

Newcomer sbassix Member

United States
    Your probobly right... My guess is that Sony made a lot of money by selling there memory sticks seperate from the system. and By not only selling the new design for less, but to take away the profit of the memory stick sales would take away a lot of money

11. MC DUI

Member MC DUI GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    Install custom firmware, everything runs... Whats the issue?

12. 754boy

Banned 754boy :D

United States
    This aint gonna save the PSP cuz the games are still lacking. I hope it does get released though. That should cause a price drop in the old ones and maybe I'll get the original for a bargain.

13. sbassix

Newcomer sbassix Member

United States
    The article that the OP posted said that they were gonna sell the new one for 170... Witch is cheaper then the old one, and you dont even have to buy a memory stick

14. nephdj

Member nephdj GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    that rumor has been out since the psp was release, people keep making "internal memory" a rumor since then

15. phoood

Member phoood taking it to a whole new level.

United States
    I agree that most of the 'too good to be true' features are bull, but I personally believe sony is truly selling a slimmer, more efficient model of the psp at a low price. The technology was here years ago, it just wasn't cost effective.

16. sbassix

Newcomer sbassix Member

United States
    What do you think about the internal memory???

You think thats a really gonna happen???

17. deathfisaro

Member deathfisaro Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan

Canada
    The biggest problem with PSP is Sony's failure to prevent custom firmwares -that is a gift to us, but is a security breach to Sony- If they were to change something to the PSP, it must be a new board that prevents or makes downgrading/custom firmwaring harder.

I have no problem with the old one's hardware. The only problem with software/firmware was it was too easy to downgrade and install custom firmware. I own fewer PSP games than DS games for that reason (I still buy both handheld console games, the ones that I'll treasure)

18. sbassix

Newcomer sbassix Member

United States
    It would be sweet if it actually had a camera though... Hahah...

But i think that falls under the "To Good To Be True" category :'(

19. Nenyana

Newcomer Nenyana Advanced Member

I will only buy this if I can run emulation and homebrew on it. If I can't do that then I do not care what improvements they add to the Psp.

20. Darkforce

Former Staff Darkforce DERP!

United Kingdom
    With all the rumours going around, I think it's safe to say that a PSP redesign is on the cards, but in regard to what others have metioned, the statement that the PSP will have 8GB of internal memory DOES NOT reduce the credibility of the article as I see it. Whilst 8GB of flash memory is expensive at the moment ($70 or so) by fall when the new PSP is released costs will have fallen, so a price point of $170 is not out of the question. Also the internal memory could just be refering to an 8GB pro Duo bundled with the machine (à la 1GB bundle). Some may be curious as to why Sony would want to bundle so much memory with the system considering the profit they make from their overpriced proprietary media - If the inclusion of internal memory is true it would suggest that along with the smaller system profile, Sony are trying harder to market the new PSP as an ipod/zune competitor (in addition to playing games). Since the DS has now established itself as the superior gaming device, Sony will most likely now try to push the PSPs multimedia capabilities hoping to persue a larger chunk of the personal music/video player market.

*Deep breath*

...Or something like that.

[​IMG]