Hacking {{N3ds users ONLY}} post your results if you are going to downgrade.

TheThreemagi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
9.8.0-25U N3DS

menuhax launch
"Error has occurred please power off 3DS"

complete brick :toot:

Downgrading from 9.9.0-26 to 9.2.0, console is US. menuhax installed, and copied new sysupdate to sdcard. Copied all files from 9.2.0-20U-N3DS.ttp file to updates directory on root of SD. updates were installing successfully, about 4-6 installed, then said error occured and push home button. Powered off unit, Powering it back in only the blue LED comes on, tried recovery mode, removing SD, etc. Screens backlighting isn't even coming on, no sound, etc. is my unit bricked? Help please! Just got my 3ds a week ago, and it's a hyrule edition XL.

Were both these 3DS relatively new and fresh? Have you ever been online and downloaded an eshop game to create the dbs folder? I'm just curious is sysupdater needs it for a certain CIA install. Previous FBI either needed it created or created it. So now without it Brick. Maybe add that to the instructions just to be safe?

Anyone with a hard mod willing to test?

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Were both these 3DS relatively new and fresh? Have you ever been online and downloaded an eshop game to create the dbs folder? I'm just curious is sysupdater needs it for a certain CIA install. Previous FBI either needed it created or created it. So now without it Brick. Maybe add that to the instructions just to be safe?

My N3DS was bricked and I've downloaded stuff from the eshop before.

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
interesting thing i downloaded the 9.0e cias from THAT site and when the install was finished it said 9.2e
havent tried cfw yet
You're not the first to report this, it looks as though some of the update packs have been mislabled.

Shit, so there's nothing I can do? Tried booting into recovery mode, just the blue LED comes on. So my new zelda 3ds is SOL? shit :( By the way tried the power button with battery pulled. I followed the directions, why would it hardbrick?
  • If you're using themehax to autoboot the Homebrew Loader, hold the appropriate button combination to override the autoboot process. Alternatively remove the SD card and boot. It's likely that themehax is set up for your old version (eg. 10.3), you may need to remove it and set it up again for your new firmware.
  • Attempt to boot into recovery mode by pressing L+R+A+Dpad up. You must be holding these buttons while pressing the power switch. If you press the power switch and then hold the four buttons it will not work, this is important. Once in recovery mode update to the latest firmware.
I think there was one more thing you could try, but I'm tired and can't thinknof it right now. Sorry.

scottgl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I used the alpha tool that came out a few days ago to install CIA files on fw 9.6+, and was able to install New Super Mario Bros 2 Gold onto the internal SD on firmware 9.9.0-26. Is that helpful at all in recoverying the nand / unbricking the device?

Bu2d85

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No dice for me.

First attempt got an error saying it could not uninstall a system title, after that I always get:

titleException:
main.cpp:108: Result: 0xD900182F
Failed to get CIA File info!

I have tried a few different SD cards but the result is always the same.

Sad Panda? Yes, but it could have been worse.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I used the alpha tool that came out a few days ago to install CIA files on fw 9.6+, and was able to install New Super Mario Bros 2 Gold onto the internal SD on firmware 9.9.0-26. Is that helpful at all in recoverying the nand / unbricking the device?

Without a NAND backup from before the downgrade attempt there is nothing that can be done. Sorry.

Maybe someday they can get past the per-console encryption to install a backup from a different system but not in the next few years.

Plochan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
after #8 i got success!
now im stuck gere, Y to downgrade is not re
No dice for me.

First attempt got an error saying it could not uninstall a system title, after that I always get:

titleException:
main.cpp:108: Result: 0xD900182F
Failed to get CIA File info!

I have tried a few different SD cards but the result is always the same.

Sad Panda? Yes, but it could have been worse.

i get that error with stevies sysUpdater, the first one is working fine...although no success yet (except one semi brick :D )

DarkJesus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Is the recommendation on this method still DON'T DO THIS BE PATIENT AND WAIT FOR KTM or has the general opinion become "Just do it"?

e: I'd be trying on an EU N3DS XL.

Last edited by DarkJesus,

naddel81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can we get a NAND backup on a 10.3 device using EmuNAND9 before downgrading?
since homebrewlauncher is possible on 10.3 why isn't EmuNAND9?

Bu2d85

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FUCK ME!!!!!

I'm glad it kept failing. I almost installed the O3DS 9.2 on my N3DS.

Maybe it will work now.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

can we get a NAND backup on a 10.3 device using EmuNAND9 before downgrading?
since homebrewlauncher is possible on 10.3 why isn't EmuNAND9?
It has to be ported to the new exploit. It requires higher permission than the standard homebrew.

Reactions: naddel81

BrunoAlvesMontei

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Shit, so there's nothing I can do? Tried booting into recovery mode, just the blue LED comes on. So my new zelda 3ds is SOL? shit :( By the way tried the power button with battery pulled. I followed the directions, why would it hardbrick?

The same thing is happening to me, the "good" thing is that i have another n3ds, but still...

I'm thinking about keeping it and hoping that someday there'll be a fix for this, or buying another one and returning the bricked one...but that would be unethical.

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So many succesful people, mine only gets up to step 8 and freezes.
Oothax: step 8 and freezes
Ironhax:step 5 and frerzes
Menuhax: step 5 and freezes
Booting ftbrony before made Ironhax and menuhax go to step 7.

scottgl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The same thing is happening to me, the "good" thing is that i have another n3ds, but still...

I'm thinking about keeping it and hoping that someday there'll be a fix for this, or buying another one and returning the bricked one...but that would be unethical.
Actually I don't think my n3ds is completely bricked. The backlight is still on, it is just very dim. Also when I push the blue button on my sky3ds, it seems to cycle between games. Audio,display, and wifi seem to be whats not working. I think it might still be booting into homebrew launcher. Is there a way to autoboot the 9.9.0 or 10.3 update? Maybe theres a way to put the 10.3 update on my sky3ds? I think its still booting, any ideas? I think just flashing the BASE_FIRM would fix it. Any way to do some testing to see if I can fix it?

Last edited by scottgl,

Bu2d85

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So many succesful people, mine only gets up to step 8 and freezes.
Oothax: step 8 and freezes
Ironhax:step 5 and frerzes
Menuhax: step 5 and freezes
Booting ftbrony before made Ironhax and menuhax go to step 7.

I can get to the selection screen sometimes but it freezes before I can push "y" to downgrade.

After a few hours of frustration i have decided that I am done. I bricked my O3DS two weeks ago and got this N3DS as a replacement. I will just wait for something more stable.

But is was fun to mess around with for a little bit.

Last edited by Bu2d85,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I use Chrome but I think my ISP blocks a lot of ads at the ISP level