Tsardom
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Well i'm getting really pissed off the fact Sonics games are getting really shitty and its growing more fanboys i was thinking of showing you guys what i think what a sonic game should be like!

First thing's first: No existing previous storyline except for the events in S3&K, likewise, no characters except Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Robotnik, and maybe Amy and Metal Sonic as cameos or boss fights.

Next, strictly sidescrolling gameplay. 3D graphics are acceptable, maybe even preferred, but there should be NO 3D levels (Except bonus levels.)

Act 1, Act 2, boss.

Bonus stages like 2D Sonic games, the sphere collection game was my favorite, maybe something like that.

Chaos Emeralds to collect (Which brings back multiple endings. One bad, one good. Good ending opens a new final boss for Super Sonic)

Visuals:
Sonic shouldn't look like a lanky teenager (Despite his age). Sonic shouldn't be more than 3 heads tall.

People, at least the more uninformed, casual, or new fans of the series seem to think that Sonic games are supposed to be about speed. Any Sonic game started out with really steam lined levels so you blast through them. After the second or third levels they slow down and become more about platforming with bouts of speed in between them.

That said, STOP trying to make Sonic games GOGOGOGOGO HOLD RIGHT TO WIN. Eggman land from Sonic Unleashed is a beautiful example of this. I had so much fun playing as Sonic (Werehog Sonic was frustrating and unpleasant 100% of the time.).

Physics are back. Going downhill speeds you up, running uphill slows you down. Spindash to run up a ramp/wall, etc.

Super Sonic in each stage once you have the chaos emeralds.

Speed will still exist, and it should be emphasized. If any of you have played Need for Speed Underground then you're aware of the muffled sound, shaking camera, and motion blurs that occur when you're at top speeds. This is what Sonic needs when he's running at his top speeds, or maybe only in special speed ramp areas.

In addition, when you charge up a spin dash and let it go , I think it should create a small explosion of debris and dust, as it creates the loud crack of a sonic boom, launching you into top speed.

Second player can choose Tails or Knuckles to tag along, Knuckles can carry Sonic on his back while climbing or gliding. Tails can carry Sonic while flying.

Secondary characters are playable in 1p mode. They have their own interlocking storyline with their own slight gameplay variation (If you could imagine Knuckles playing as a Sonic game meets Double Dragon, platforming with lots of beat-em-up sections that can be passed up. Walls to be destroyed, etc. Tails is more careful platorming with more intricate areas. Slow and steady, with platforming style puzzles.)

No voice acting. Animations like the opening to Unleashed, with only old school cartoon voices. Grunting, laughing, etc. but no dialogue. Story will be told through actions.

Lots of unlockables and emblems to find. Character reskins or remodels with altered gameplay included (Unlock Metal Sonic and gain the ability to boost, etc.)

And for the crappy Sonic fans? Maybe even throw in a character recolor function. Now you can play as Tony the Hedgehog! He looks like Sonic except with green quils and blue shoes!

Fan service stages that are unlockable. Classic stage remakes, classic bosses remade, remixed music, artwork and a documentary about the history of Sonic.

It would hands-down be Sonic's unquestonable revival as a respectable gaming mascot.

What do you guys think?

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Vidboy10 said:
Well i'm getting really pissed off the fact Sonics games are getting really shitty and its growing more fanboys i was thinking of showing you guys what i think what a sonic game should be like!

First thing's first: No existing previous storyline except for the events in S3&K, likewise, no characters except Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Robotnik, and maybe Amy and Metal Sonic as cameos or boss fights.

Next, strictly sidescrolling gameplay. 3D graphics are acceptable, maybe even preferred, but there should be NO 3D levels (Except bonus levels.)

Act 1, Act 2, boss.

Bonus stages like 2D Sonic games, the sphere collection game was my favorite, maybe something like that.

Chaos Emeralds to collect (Which brings back multiple endings. One bad, one good. Good ending opens a new final boss for Super Sonic)

Visuals:
Sonic shouldn't look like a lanky teenager (Despite his age). Sonic shouldn't be more than 3 heads tall.

People, at least the more uninformed, casual, or new fans of the series seem to think that Sonic games are supposed to be about speed. Any Sonic game started out with really steam lined levels so you blast through them. After the second or third levels they slow down and become more about platforming with bouts of speed in between them.

That said, STOP trying to make Sonic games GOGOGOGOGO HOLD RIGHT TO WIN. Eggman land from Sonic Unleashed is a beautiful example of this. I had so much fun playing as Sonic (Werehog Sonic was frustrating and unpleasant 100% of the time.).

Physics are back. Going downhill speeds you up, running uphill slows you down. Spindash to run up a ramp/wall, etc.

Super Sonic in each stage once you have the chaos emeralds.

Speed will still exist, and it should be emphasized. If any of you have played Need for Speed Underground then you're aware of the muffled sound, shaking camera, and motion blurs that occur when you're at top speeds. This is what Sonic needs when he's running at his top speeds, or maybe only in special speed ramp areas.

In addition, when you charge up a spin dash and let it go , I think it should create a small explosion of debris and dust, as it creates the loud crack of a sonic boom, launching you into top speed.

Second player can choose Tails or Knuckles to tag along, Knuckles can carry Sonic on his back while climbing or gliding. Tails can carry Sonic while flying.

Secondary characters are playable in 1p mode. They have their own interlocking storyline with their own slight gameplay variation (If you could imagine Knuckles playing as a Sonic game meets Double Dragon, platforming with lots of beat-em-up sections that can be passed up. Walls to be destroyed, etc. Tails is more careful platorming with more intricate areas. Slow and steady, with platforming style puzzles.)

No voice acting. Animations like the opening to Unleashed, with only old school cartoon voices. Grunting, laughing, etc. but no dialogue. Story will be told through actions.

Lots of unlockables and emblems to find. Character reskins or remodels with altered gameplay included (Unlock Metal Sonic and gain the ability to boost, etc.)

And for the crappy Sonic fans? Maybe even throw in a character recolor function. Now you can play as Tony the Hedgehog! He looks like Sonic except with green quils and blue shoes!

Fan service stages that are unlockable. Classic stage remakes, classic bosses remade, remixed music, artwork and a documentary about the history of Sonic.

It would hands-down be Sonic's unquestonable revival as a respectable gaming mascot.

What do you guys think?

Amy should still be playable but lose the stalking fangirl image and make her more snooty and more selfish which suits her better personality wise.

I agree with most of the other stuff though except the voice acting, keep it but change the VAs, they stink.

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sonic Adventure 3. That's what the next Sonic games need to be. Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 were the last good ones.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The next Sonic should be more like this:

Things I don't ever want again:
3D gameplay unless they can make the camera work.
More characters. I like Knuckles so give him his own game that isn't shit but lets keep this about Sonic.
Voices, jesus christ they are so fricking awful in those games.
Crap rock soundtrack.
Adventuring.
Pressing one direction and jumping occasionally. All the proper Sonic games up until the 3D ones weren't just like that, they had more variety in gameplay. While I liked the Sonic Rush games they got old quick.
Gimmicks that ruin gameplay rather than add. Sonic CD had the time travel thing...that worked. The Werehog thing, ruined Unleashed.

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I though Unleashed was pretty good first step in the right direction, if you just look at the Sonic-daytime-stages:

The gameplay: I thought it was great. The drifting, the 2D-3D-transitions and the other new mechanics where very well implemented and didn`t feel pinned on... It was fast and I had ton of fun playing it. The only bad thing was, that I wanted more...
The looks: Great. Sonic was small (like he should be! He is not human...) and the locations looked good as well. And I like, that the human characters (if human characters are necessary at all) where looking more cartoony!
The music: Simply great. Really melodic with great speed in it. Just felt good while playing. Not as good as Flying Battery or Hydrocity (especially II), but it doesn`t get much better then those two stages-themes!

So I think Sonic Team went in the right direction with unleashed but they just had to pin the horrible night-stages on the game, just because they wanted it to appeal to kids (like they did with NiGHTS, when they attached the horrible-kids-stages)...

I think above all everybody who wants to make a Sonic game should play through Sonic 2, so he get the whole essence of what Sonic is all about! That game is perfect. Simple as that...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-