Fanmade PC remake of "Sonic 3D Blast" gets a pre-alpha release

The classic era of Sonic games is still held dearly for many, many Sonic fans, and while most usually list one of the main Sonic classic trilogy (1, 2 and 3&K) as their favourites, (with Sonic 2 or Sonic 3 topping those lists), there is another Sonic title from that era that's usually ignored, with that title being "Sonic 3D Blast" (or "Sonic 3D Flickies' Island" as it was known in Europe).

Sonic 3D Blast was originally released for the Sega Genesis / Mega Drive and eventually released on the Sega Saturn) deviating from the traditional high-speed platforming that its predecessors like Sonic 1 and 2 had to instead focus on exploration inside an isometric-view, which sees Sonic travel through different zones in a diorama-like style, searching for his friends, the Flickies', which are bird-like creatures that have been encased by Dr. Robotnik inside robots. Defeating the robots frees the Flickies, and then Sonic must carry them into a ring to save them.

The title itself didn't have good reception, with many citing its weird gameplay, lack of a save feature and a perspective which strayed away from the traditional Sonic mechanics, although one thing that can't be argued about is how good the soundtrack is for the game (with the Genesis' OST version being one of my own personal favourites Sonic OSTs), and it's worth mentioning that both the Genesis and Saturn releases had their own unique OSTs. The original Genesis release of Sonic 3D Blast release saw a romhack/revision back in 2017 by one of its original developers from Traveller's Tales, Jon Burton, with aimed to fix many of the game's issues, as well as improve other aspects of the game, with the final project titled "Sonic 3D Blast: Director's Cut".

However, even with the Director's Cut hack, that still left the Sega Saturn release in the dust, but that didn't stop developer SegaSonicSaturn from Twitter to try to revitalize the title.

SegaSonicSaturn has been working privately on a full-on 3D remake of Sonic 3D Blast (or Sonic 3D Flickies' Island) for the PC, and today, the first pre-alpha version of the remake, with the very first level being playable, and right from the get-go, the amount of detail and love put into the project is shown in full.

The remake itself is based artistically on the vastly graphically superior Sega Saturn version of the game, which featured richer and more vibrant scenarios compared to the Genesis release, but this remake doesn't only recreate the environments in a pseudo-3D environment like the original, but rather it recreates the entire game in a full 3D environment, meaning all 3D stages, characters and assets, and the author makes sure to showcase this by changing perspectives on-the-fly while in gameplay, with the perspectives changing from the original's isometric view, to a full 3D third-person-like camera that follows Sonic around and can be rotated 360 degrees, giving much more freedom and an incredible way of experiencing this beloved classic. The details in the 3D models is superb, capturing the original game's character design to its fullest extend, with Sonic's 3D model looking almost a 1:1 recreation of his 3D Blast official artwork.

Not only is the game fully recreated in 3D, but the author has also gone above and beyond including not only the 2 different OSTs (Genesis and Saturn) as options for the game, but also fully remastered OSTs of both the Genesis and Saturn OSTs as well! So players have an incredible number of 4 OSTs (Genesis, Saturn, Genesis Remastered and Saturn Remastered) to choose from when playing through the Remake, and the soundtracks can also be toggled on-the-fly, giving the player the option to change the soundtrack at will at any point of the game!

As a personal closing statement, and as an avid Sonic 3D Blast fan since the game's original release back in 1996, it's such a joy and a delightment to see one of my childhood beloved games to be amazingly recreated and remade with such detail, care, love and passion, and I highly recommend and encourage anyone even remotely interested in Sonic games, or Sonic in general, to give this fan remake a try!
Best of wishes to the author and his team, so that this remake can see a full release down the road!

MeXen

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Nope, gameplay looks even slower and clunkier then the original, and i dont know if the 3D camera mode is being controlled manually, but just going trough hoop showed you that things just dont go well.

LuigiXHero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess i'm the one to bring up there was a PC version that came out in 1997 that with a little work still works nowadays just fine. It's identical to the saturn version but with a unique special stage:

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
First the horrid Sonic 2006, and now this.

Interesting to see fan-made version of two of the worst Sonic games.

Sonic 3D Blast is nowhere near the top of worst Sonic games. 2006 was for a while the worst Sonic game.

Now that title is for Rise of Lyric.

Last edited by raxadian,

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
I’m definitely keeping an eye on this, this is a dream Remake I’ve always wanted, thanks for keeping the Genesis soundtrack as an option too and having the flickies radar, I hope this project gets finished and we get ports to other systems because I need this on my PS Vita or Nintendo Switch.
Post automatically merged:

I guess i'm the one to bring up there was a PC version that came out in 1997 that with a little work still works nowadays just fine. It's identical to the saturn version but with a unique special stage:

This, it received a mod to run on modern windows, I have it and I grew up with that version in addition, it’s almost identical to the Saturn version (with minor differences in graphics and sound effects) but most noticeably it has a unique special stage and a save feature.

Reactions: raxadian

ack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the intro voice is ai read. It reminded me of the ai Batman comic voice over.

that script wasnt actually made by an ai, it comes from a book from way before chatgpt was a thing

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
Reading the comments made me very sick, seriously, how come when the stupid Zelda CDI games got fan remakes everyone praised them but when it’s Sonic 3D Blast it’s suddenly bad, Sonic 3D Blast is a great game, you know what’s a shitty game? Sonic Spinball.

This passionate fan put his blood and sweat into this project out of love, if you got nothing encouraging to say then I ask you kindly to GTFO! This project is not meant for you...

SegaSonicSaturn don’t listen to the haters, I hope this doesn’t discourage you from following your dream, you keep on doing what you love. 👍

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
when it’s Sonic 3D Blast it’s suddenly bad

A lot of people like the Director's cut of the Sega Genesis version.

Is just... a lot of people can't or won't appreciate a Sonic game for what it is and keep comparing it to different games.

Sonic Adventure International and Sonic 2 Battle are far from perfect games but were the first two Sonic 3d games done (mostly) right, so they left an impression.

Even the best possible version of Sonic 3D blast is a simple game were you collect birds and that's basically it. It is a 3D Mappy with Boss fights and special stages.

That's it.

For a kid in the 90s it was Sonic in 3D!

For anyone who played any of the few good 3D Sonic games before this? Is a "Meh" at best.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto