Sonic Superstars was originally set to be developed by the Mania team, Naoto Oshima now in charge of project

sdashudashuidhasuidias.png

Sonic Superstars was originally going to be yet another collaboration with the beloved team behind Sonic Mania. According to media outlet Video Games Chronicle, SEGA approached Christian Whitehead and developer Headcannon with the project, but "plans fell through". Following this, it was decided that the original creator of Sonic the Hedgehog would be in charge of the development of Sonic Superstars. Naoto Oshima showed interest in making a new Sonic game with his studio, Arzest, with the director having worked on the first Sonic game and Sonic CD doing level design, and his studio having experience with games like Yoshi's New Island and Hey! Pikmin. Longtime Sonic Team leader Takashi Iizuka said that Jun Senoue will be creating the soundtrack, with outside help from Sonic Mania composer Tee Lopes.

:arrow: Source

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
I have zero interest in this game. SEGA has proven time and time again that they don't know what they're doing with 2D Sonic, and even if they're outsourcing this, they couldn't get the game off the ground with the guys known for being the only capable devs of making a good 2D Sonic game, so what's the point?

So, yeah, skip.

Portrait

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Half wager that "plans fells through" because headcannon required the contract to stipulate no denuvo or equivalent drm, and sega refused to budge, given they never willingly remove denuvo from anything.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Really, as soon as Mania was a success Sega should have been ‘shut up and take my money’.

Despite mixed feelings over Mania, I’d sooner trust the Mania devs to deliver a game I like over Sega/Sonic Team themselves.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like quality is going to take a hit and it won't be pleasant. I just hope Sonic doesn't feel heavy like he did in previous games which made it painful and tiresome to play it, sometimes so much I just gave up.

Sega being cheapskate, what's new.

• Sad
Reactions: Mike_77712

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Sounds like quality is going to take a hit and it won't be pleasant. I just hope Sonic doesn't feel heavy like he did in previous games which made it painful and tiresome to play it, sometimes so much I just gave up.

Sega being cheapskate, what's new.

I do wonder if this is just going to turn into Sonic 4 Episode 3.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"The director having worked on the first Sonic game and Sonic CD doing level design"

This is not a point in this game's favor. The level design in CD is probably most consistently the worst in all the 2D Sonic games. And beyond Green Hill Zone, the level design of the original game was always forgettable to straight up bad.

I do think the game looks exciting in principle, and this guy has likely learned a lot since Sonic 1 and CD. Still, the fact that he was responsible for those 2 games' level design is immediately concerning.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its a billion times better than Sonic 4, which is where expectations are at right now.
Almost anything is better than Sonic 4 Episode 1/2.

However, the Android/WP versions of Sonic 4 Episode 1/2 are actually pretty fun (imo) because the gameplay feels fast just like an actual Sonic game and the WP version is almost akin to a GBA/DS game.

And the Android/iOS version:

Why Sega (well, Dimps developed it) made the PC/Console versions slower than Android/iOS/WP is a mystery.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto