Christian Whitehead aka the Taxman confirms Sonic Mania physics were directly ported into Sonic Superstars

featured-smp-diaries2-1920x1080.jpg

Lapper, the developer of the upcoming homebrew project Sonic Studio has recently been performing deep analyses of the recently unveiled Sonic Superstars on his Classic Sonic Deconstructed @SonicStudioProj Twitter page.

His comparisons have shown very favourable results that demonstrate how similar the physics of the upcoming game are based on observations between recent gameplay footage and other classic Sonic games including Sonic 3 & Knuckles and the more recent Sonic Mania.

While the initial results were promising, we have further reason for people to breath a sigh of relief as Sonic Mania developer Christian Whitehead (aka the Taxman) has directly replied to a recent comparison. In the comment Christian stated that the physics used in Sonic Mania have been translated over to the modern 3D engine used in Sonic Superstars.

While details are scarce right now, he says he plans to share more information when it's appropriate, perhaps closer to the games release this autumn/fall.

:arrow: Source

Vorde

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Like SEGA is the first to do that like come on.
It's not that they're the first to do it, but it's kinda scummy, and they deserve to be shamed for doing it.
Mind you, if they give credit to Taxman or HeadCannon in the ending credits, then that would be okay.
Either way, we should be happy to have well developed physics :)

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
OP
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's not that they're the first to do it, but it's kinda scummy, and they deserve to be shamed for doing it.
Mind you, if they give credit to Taxman or HeadCannon in the ending credits, then that would be okay.
Either way, we should be happy to have well developed physics :)
Except that's all complete conjecture. We don't have any idea of the situation and Christian has been positive toward the game on Twitter.

As I said in the other thread, Evening Star are probably just busy working on their own first game and Headcanon has been busy with Origins.

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still might be an interesting game. I'd be willing to buy it.

2D Sonic games are on par with 2D Mario games, it's basically the same game over and over..

My friend, there isn't a game genre that hasn't been tried at least once before. Any platform-type game is just like every other, just with different skins.

Reactions: Vorde

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Me: Wow, physics from one of the most smooth and accurate Sonic games are being ported into this 2.5D sonic game with great graphics i'm looking forward to! Joy!!
GBATemp: Wow, they just took what Whitehead made and ran. Scummy assholes!!!

You guys do realize that at the end of the day it was Sonic Team who made the original Genesis physics that Whitehead copied and then GAVE back to Sega...?? I hate corporations too but this seemed consensual and smart to me

Reactions: shaunj66

PacBunnyXV07

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Me: Wow, physics from one of the most smooth and accurate Sonic games are being ported into this 2.5D sonic game with great graphics i'm looking forward to! Joy!!
GBATemp: Wow, they just took what Whitehead made and ran. Scummy assholes!!!

You guys do realize that at the end of the day it was Sonic Team who made the original Genesis physics that Whitehead copied and then GAVE back to Sega...?? I hate corporations too but this seemed consensual and smart to me
This guy knows whats up, tbh I didn't realized that Whitehead did recreated the physics so its not really stealing.

Reactions: SonicSlayer

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if the engine was his own design without sega tools he can rip into sega legally though i'm pretty sure the tools are sega's i just hope sega doesn't go they way of nintendo after this

KasaiWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
After Sonic 4 I never thought i'd play a 2D game again with how floaty it was. Im glad Mr. Whitehead made the physics engine. Seems like a kick in the balls though.

Delerious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean... he did sign an agreement with Sega. So why wouldn't they have the rights? I get people's hate for Sega, but I think people are taking this particular matter a bit too seriously.
So they cut off the mania team from this game and steal their physics. The developers deserve better than Sega. :nayps3:

It's called business? Sega contracted the team for the Mania Project, so I would assume part of the stipulation is that, as Sonic is a Sega property, they can use Sonic Mania and any of its assets (code being one of them), for their own intents and purposes. Taxman is the one who signed the contract, so unless he's bad at reading, he probably knew the stipulations of said contract. And if he didn't read it, then that probably says some things about him regarding his business and legal mindset, which could eventually spell disaster for his team if that is the case. I would hope not, though.

That said, I do agree that they shuld have hired his team for the game. But at the same time, isn't his team working on their own projects, too? It could be that Sega didn't want to take chances if Taxman's team found themselves in a position where they had to split their time, and the timeline for release didn't fit if Taxman wanted his team to finish their current project(s) first. Pus, there was already the crunch involved with Sonic Origins.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol