Christian Whitehead (Taxman) forms new game studio, Evening Star

ZXDNaXM.png

The man behind the mobile ports of Sonic 1, 2, and CD, as well as lead developer of Sonic Mania, Christian Whitehead, has founded his own game studio called Evening Star. Joining him are some staff he has recently worked with: Tom Fry, art director for Sonic Mania, CEO Dave Padilla, Hunter Bridges, programmer for Sonic Mania, and Brad Flick, level designer for Sonic Mania. His Retro Engine has been renamed the Star Engine, and will be what the studio uses to develop games in the future. Currently, the company is hiring artists and level designers.

:arrow: Source

Evening Star is a boutique game studio founded in late 2018. Headquartered in Los Angeles, with operations in Melbourne and London, Evening Star's mission is designing fresh, fun games which will stand the test of time.

For Evening Star, being a “boutique” game studio has a specific meaning. Every member pursues a goal to make their own great games. By encouraging strong technical foundations in every discipline, members are given a voice and latitude to impact games in unique ways. By reinvigorating gaming history's more cunning techniques, the team boldly explores directions long since left behind. With that driving approach, and a proprietary engine and tool set, Evening Star has developed an innovative workflow which minimizes the barriers between ideas and execution.

Creating games that shine bright... Evening Star casts a light into the future.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those deep cut references.

This is now their theme song.

I'd say this is rad, and I'd love to see original projects! But this also makes me think I shouldn't expect more Sonic Mania-based content any time soon.

By reinvigorating gaming history's more cunning techniques, the team boldly explores directions long since left behind.
They can still do original things with them of course, but sounds like they are doing retro or at least retro-like games.

IIRC, he said that he wanted to do some 3D things too.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's official! We finally getting Knuckles Chaotix game. He finally read the wikipedia article. :P

In 2011, Sega noted fans frequently requested Knuckles' Chaotix as a game desired to be rereleased. 1UP.com and GameSpy expressed disappointment the 2005 compilation Sonic Gems Collection did not include the game In 2010, the head of Sonic Team, Takashi Iizuka, expressed interest in developing a sequel.Also expressing interest was Christian Whitehead, the developer of the mobile versions of Sonic CD, Sonic the Hedgehog, and Sonic the Hedgehog 2, saying in 2014 that he would be open to remaking Knuckles' Chaotix using the Retro Engine

NeoSlyde

Let us start the game
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm kinda bummed SEGA didn't offer him a position as head of Sonic Team USA or something.

I hope his work on Sonic games doesn't end with Mania given it's runaway success. But given SEGA's track record it wouldn't surprise me...
Sonic Team USA doesn’t exist anymore since 10 years ago or more

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is a horrible logo. And it looks suspiciously like the new "Jump Force" logo.

We will see what they do. I am hopeful but guarding my hopes.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
By the way, is there any news on the Retro Engine ports of Sonic 1 and 2 coming to Steam?

Last I heard, I had the vague understanding that those ports were limited to iOS and Android because Nintendo had some kind of licensing agreement involving the 3DS ports. But I thought I read something about that agreement coming to an end?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool