GBAtemp Exclusive Memory Lane #4: Sonic Boom! Sonic CD is now 25 years old

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Sep 23, 2018.

1. SANIC

SANIC GBATemp's Sonic Fan in Residence, 後

Jan 13, 2017
    United States
    I am extremely triggered that Sonic Boom was put into the main post instead of Toot Toot Sonic Warrior. If there's a better option, why not go with it?

PanTheFaun likes this.
  2. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Pfffft. Wow, good catch. No idea where the art is from, I grabbed the only transparent image I could find of Sonic in that post from the CD intro. Smh art.

I'm sorry you have inferior taste. Sonic Boom is the only true theme for the game :teach:

chartube12 and BORTZ like this.
  3. BlueFox gui

BlueFox gui SOMEONE

Feb 4, 2016
    Brazil
    NAS TERRAS DE HUE BR
    toot toot sonic warrior is superior

i mean noot noot sonic warrior

RattletraPM and SANIC like this.
  4. SANIC

Jan 13, 2017
    United States
    Its ok sweetie, people like you have wrong opinions all the time.

DarthDub likes this.
  5. Carnelian

Carnelian .

Banned
    Aug 10, 2015
    Canada
    The only Sonic song i loved in Brawl.

6. Sumasuun

Sumasuun Member

Newcomer
    Mar 2, 2013
    United States
    I like how the image is "sonic3isbetter.png"

shaunj66 and Chary like this.
  7. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    I've played this game on Sega CD, the late 90s PC port that didn't work on Windows XP without a patch, Sonic Gems Collection (which is a port of the same PC version), and the 2011 remaster on Steam. I think I enjoyed playing it most on the Sega CD.

Sumasuun likes this.
  8. AlexMCS

AlexMCS Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 3, 2018
    Brazil
    That's because it actually is the Best 2D Sonic game for a lot of people, me included.
    And Sonic Unleashed is (debatable) the best 3D game.

9. SANIC

Jan 13, 2017
    United States
    I agree with you on Unleashed but 3K is better by a large margin

10. BORTZ

BORTZ The Amazing

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Chary and a few others know that Sonic CD is personally my favorite Sonic 2D game. Its mostly nostalgia goggles too. I originally got a copy after playing it at a friend's house. He was a sega kid, and I tended to like nintendo stuff. It was cool seeing an official Sonic game on the... PC? What? Yeah, he didn't have a Genesis Sega CD, but he did have it on his PC. This was mega appealing to me, since I was console-less until 6th grade. I got my for my 8th birthday in 1997. Sadly, our Gateway 2000 was not powerful enough to run the dang thing. I would go 4 years without being able to play Sonic CD at my own house. However, my dad did have a PC where he worked at a local die shop. He worked maintenance so sometimes he would have to go in on early weekends. If I was good, he would let me come along and play while he started up the plant. I remember beating the game multiple times, seeming like it was too easy...

I wouldnt really understand why until much later. As a kid, I don't think I was able to get a single chaos emerald. Or, what, time stone? Anyways, the special stages were probably the most imaginative of all of them, and they were hard. At least to me. I never completed the game to its fullest extend until very recently. I played the re-released PS3 release and I must say, CW did a great job moving it over to play on console. I sat down one day to finish the game as an homage a friend. Remember that friend who i spoke about in the above paragraph? He was the one I made a blog post about. He ended up heavily abusing drugs and succumbing to a heart event which left him to rot in a coma. He was my best friend all the way through elementary to high school. And beyond. Anyways, I decided to conquer Sonic CD once and for all. When I finally did it, I felt like I was able to close the door on a painful memory. In a good way.

What some might not know is that Sonic CD and Sonic 2 were developed at the same time, but not by the same team. While the more mainstream Sonic 2 would garner a reputation of "gotta go fast", CD would forever fall under the stigma of not being a speed game. While Sonic 2 tends to be about blast processing, CD focuses more on polish and music that the CD addon could supply to games at the time. Each zone has 4 different musical themes for 4 different tile sets/layouts. All are redbook audio CD quality save the "Past" stages which used the sega soundfont. While most players (2nd grade me included) thought that Sonic CD was a speed game and were frustrated when we were punished for going fast. After taking a step back and growing up, I learned its about adventure. Funny enough, about going slow.

Side note, its also one of the only games worth owning a Sega CD add on for. I have to routinely fend myself off from buying a Genesis model 1 and the underside Sega CD to have around just for looks...

11. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 12, 2009
    If you’re speaking subjectively, ok, although I obviously don’t share that opinion on SCD.

I did like Unleashed, but only years later after I watched an LP and decided to try it out again. It’s amazing how just a few tweaks I think could have improved the game e.g. the control scheme (particularly the homing attack) and not making the Sun/Moon medels mandatory to progress (only reason I wasn’t frustrated by them was because of the LP giving me a heads up).

Wouldn’t say it’s my favourite of the 3D games but I still enjoyed it none the less, much like SCD.

12. Dodain47

Dodain47 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 1, 2017
    Austria
    The Soundtrack still holds out today.

13. Heran Bago

Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

Nov 6, 2005
    United States
    Foggy California
    Sonic CD is great because of:

• The SEGA CD BIOS animations and load times.

• The time travel sound that's so fucking loud. It's louder than the SEEEEGAAAA sound when you forgot to check the volume before turning on Sonic 3 or Mania.

• The weird spindash.

• Sonic rather killing himself than hold still for 3 minutes without moving.

• Robotnik's unstoppable instant-death laser that he chases both Sonic and his own Sonic with. He never tries instant-death lasers again afaik.

• Messing up a jump in Wacky Workbench (a lot to unpack in that Zone name) and having to go all the way back down.

• That time you go up a ramp at the beginning of the game with weird perspective which never happens again.

• The same ramp, if you head slowly left on it or on top of it you get sprites/animations that you never see otherwise.

• BREATHING a boss's shield away.

• The ending animation that shows a level you didn't get to play.

14. SonsofOcelot

SonsofOcelot Shalashaska

Aug 4, 2016
    Canada
    Outer Haven
    I played the game at launch when I was about 5, and would later get the port by Christian Whitehead on PS3. Within the last year I bought a Genesis with a Sega CD and Sonic CD. If you are going to experience the game for the first time I really recommend the port as the original just doesn't quite hold up anymore.

As for soundtracks I'm kinda split on it. There are some songs in the US version that I really love like the good future Palmtree Panic and the present and bad future Collision Chaos tracks but there are others from the Japanese version, like Stardust Speedway, that are better than their US counterparts.

Overall the game is still fun today but I find myself popping Sonic 3 and Knuckles into the cartridge slot more often.

15. CeeDee

CeeDee Oh, fishsticks. I'm nauseous...

GBAtemp Patron
    CeeDee is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 4, 2014
    United States
    Y'all would never guess where I got my username.

This game's pretty damn cool, all in all. Unique, in its own rights, the time travel mechanic was pretty dang interesting, but still a solid Sonic game.

The intro was fantastic, both intro tunes are great, and the Japanese/European soundtrack of the game is so dang good.

16. Metoroid0

Metoroid0 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 2, 2012
    Japan
    SR388
    i could never get into this game. graphics is out of place like it has glitching artifacts and ia just all ower the place to colorfull and distracting. Borring to play, and i never had to much atention to finish first 4 levels....it was a pain to play. i wish this game never existed or at least remade completly!
    in one word really borring game.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

so they added nothing special really...

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

only thing that is good about the game to me is music

17. SANIC

Jan 13, 2017
    United States
    The Christian Whitehead ports are only on mobile.

Also Stardust Speedway Bad Future (JP) is iconic

Last edited by SANIC, Sep 28, 2018
  18. SonsofOcelot

SonsofOcelot Shalashaska

Aug 4, 2016
    Canada
    Outer Haven
    I'm 99% certain that Whitehead's logo is shown in the PS3 version... But yeah Bad Future Stardust from the Japanese release is one of my favorites.

CeeDee likes this.
  19. CeeDee

CeeDee Oh, fishsticks. I'm nauseous...

GBAtemp Patron
    CeeDee is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 4, 2014
    United States
    You're correct - the Whitehead CD port did make it to PS3 and Xbox 360 (as well as PC). The 1 and 2 ports didn't.

SonsofOcelot likes this.