Sonic Hacking Contest 2023 officially starts off its contest week

The Sonic franchise has one of the most thriving and active fan communities out there, both in terms of avid casual fans and also modders and hackers alike, so much so that the fandom has yearly events regarding fan games, mods and hacks made by the community and inspired by or created Sonic games in general, with one of these events being the Sonic Hacking Contest (SHC).

The Sonic Hacking Contest has been going strong for more than two decades now (with The Vault having archived contests since 2012), with the contest usually taking place at the beginning of October, but this year was an exception due to the release of Sonic Superstars, so in order to accommodate for the new release, the contest was pushed back a couple of weeks, and it officially starts off with its contest week today, October 23rd, with several popular Sonic-centric YouTube channels focusing on it, like Tails' Channel or SomeCallMeJohnny, which will stream all of the contest entries submitted.

The Contest Week will go from Monday, October 23rd up to Sunday, October 29th, and each submitted contest entry will be judged and given a specific based on a variety of metrics, ranging from things like Best Visuals, Best Audio, Best Level Design, Best Character Implementation, etc., to even absurd things like Most "WTF?!". The Contest is also open for the general community as well, with some entries being applicable to Community Trophies as well. There's also The Expo", which is more for exposition projects, which won't be participating in the main contest, but can still be downloaded and tried out at the same time.

Each entry can be downloaded and tested, and the community can give feedback during the week so that the authors can create patches during the week for an overall better experience with the submitted entries.

:arrow: Sonic Hacking Contest website
:arrow: SHC 2023 Contest Entries
:arrow: SHC 2023 Expo Entries

AndorfRequissa

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
modding communities for games make them so much more fun and legendary. they add extra spice to games that often would be forgotten imo without the mods.

Reactions: Ligeia

PopcornSweetie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Some years ago, the community got obsessed to mod Sonic 06. I wonder if this still is a thing.
Then, we had Sonic Gather Battle, which later turned out to be malware.

_Snow_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
modding communities for games make them so much more fun and legendary. they add extra spice to games that often would be forgotten imo without the mods.
Bingo! If Quake (I accidentally typed Quank.. and had to mention that because it's hilarious) and Half Life had not had mods, many good popular games would not have existed. They'd be happy memories with small communities. I've seen communities around other old games shrink to a handful. Of course some games are not easily moddable.

As far as I know, Sega actually promotes modding of Sonic. They won't chase anyone with a Cease and Desist unless that particular person is selling the game or the game has undesirable content in it.

Reactions: AndorfRequissa

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bingo! If Quake (I accidentally typed Quank.. and had to mention that because it's hilarious) and Half Life had not had mods, many good popular games would not have existed. They'd be happy memories with small communities. I've seen communities around other old games shrink to a handful. Of course some games are not easily moddable.

As far as I know, Sega actually promotes modding of Sonic. They won't chase anyone with a Cease and Desist unless that particular person is selling the game or the game has undesirable content in it.
in an ideal world all companies would be like this but we far from live in an ideal world (nukes,war and the mothefugging DMCA)

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I’d argue that F3 is mostly a Nintendo thing, although not every game/mod is for Nintendo platforms, just a large majority. Also if Nintendo could I’m positive they would shut F3 down in a heartbeat.
F3 is for sure the closest thing to a Nintendo-centric fangame/romhacking event, but it heavily focuses on N64/SM64 stuff to be such a thing.
Thankfully, it has become more and more open towards other franchises/consoles over the past two years, so hopefully it can become the main fan/hacking event in general outside of the Sonic franchise.

NinStar

Ny'hrarr ♂
Trophies
Website
ninstar.carrd.co
XP
Country
Brazil
Yeah, they have this and Sage. NIntendo has...? Nothing.
There was NCFC (Nintendo Community Fangames Convention), it was heavily inspired by SAGE and (if I'm not mistaken) was organized by members of MFGG, which is a quite big Mario fangame community that I used to be active in the past. Not sure if these events are is still happening nowadays.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Probably because the game cover looks like it's meant for little kids