Homebrew My New3DS gets kinda hot. Is that normal?

NoSnake221

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Since I hacked it, my New3DS tends to get warm to the touch by the backplate when playing with it for about 20 minutes, specially when playing Metal Gear Solid 3D. Although it doesn't always get warm on the same area; it is mainly next to the MicroSD card, sometimes on the MicroSD card reader and very rarely on the battery. It doesn't get too hot to the point that it's annoying, but it gets warm. Is this normal?

Solution
It is probably just warming up because of the processors might be doing a lot of processing, the MicroSD card might be in a lot of use, and you might be using a lot of power. Luma3DS could also be increasing the processor clock speed which would generate more heat. As long as the 3DS doesn't get too warm, I wouldn't worry about it.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never experienced this with my n3ds, but I also don't play it. hack and store for me. :P I have played games on it in the past, and I don't remember that problem. my n3ds is a majora's mask one.

hakd88

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It is probably just warming up because of the processors might be doing a lot of processing, the MicroSD card might be in a lot of use, and you might be using a lot of power. Luma3DS could also be increasing the processor clock speed which would generate more heat. As long as the 3DS doesn't get too warm, I wouldn't worry about it.

Solution

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is an option in Luma3DS to force N3DS clock speed (it was higher than the original) in all games. This is not enabled by default as it may cause some instability, as games needed to be patched/coded from the ground up to guarantee compatibility.

It should not overheat your N3DS as it is not overclocking. The unit is running per design spec.

Heat (and more specifically, power) consumed by the unit will vary based on the game. I don't seem to recall mine ever getting warm. With that being said, I keep mine in a plastic shell, so I probably wouldn't have felt it even if it did.

N3DS uses very little power, and generates very little heat, so I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    in that case, there is no such thing as homebrew launcher for aroma
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    you have to launch your homebrews directly from the wii u menu
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    there is a plugin that display them on the wii u menu, pretty sure it is enabled by default
  • crafthp434 @ crafthp434:
    so like it doesnt exist
    yeah
    ?
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    it doesn't exist, at least not for aroma
    ohhhhh
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    on tiramisu you can access it by opening mii maker
    okay
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I don't have a wii u anymore to test it myself, but if homebrews are not visible on the wii u menu I think you can press L + R + minus to open the plugin menu, there should be an option called "homebrews on wii u menu" or something similar
    nope
    it is L+dpad down+ select
    but homebrew is appearing in the home menu btw
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    yes, now I remember it
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    then it is working, I also don't like that they did this but it is the only option you have if you are using aroma
    i just didint know the homebrew launcher didint exist in aroma
    thanks btw
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Im downloading fallout 3 goty edition
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm downloading more ram for my hamster pc
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    New hamster PC, with anal operation and BT connectivity!
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, How do I make enemies respawn on gdevelop after
    the player dies?
    Carrying a PC or phone is so old school!
    Squeeze your cheeks twice to answer calls!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty you can use a "spawner" function on any object.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: @Xdqwerty you can use a "spawner" function on any object.