JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
It's a great price but I'm still going to skip because if I were to own it it'd have to be the physical release, I'll be patient and look out for a decent price.
This literally made me burst out laughing. You will NEVER find it for a decent price.
All Wii VC games are straight ports from their Wii counterparts, so no visual improvements whatsoever BUT games such as Punch Out (which support Wii Classic Controller) are now playable with the Wii U GamePad (they figured out how to make a cIOS).
The IOS (or IOSU) doesn't have controller code. That's handled by the game, or in the case of VC, the emulator.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Limited Demo Usage - is bullshit but doesn't matter, if you like the game you buy it instead of play the demo eternally.
This line of thinking doesn't make sense. It's a chicken vs. egg kind of problem. How do you know you're going to like the game without properly trying it out before purchase? Nintendo not only lacks in providing demos for their games, but the demos themselves are very limited and often fail to give you a good impression of what the game is about.
No Account System - Wii U has an account system. if you are trying to point out that the purchases are tied to the console instead of the Nintendo ID instead, agree.
Purchases are tied to hardware, no cloud game saves, accounts are not portable across devices, integration with 3DS limited to eShop funds, etc. Must I keep going on?
Uderpowerer Hardware - half relevant. NES, PSone and PS2 where the weaker systems in his respective generations and sold like cure to cancer, but still, weren't that weak in comparison with the competition.
This has been beaten to death, but I'll bite. You can argue the PS2 was relatively weak in comparison to the Xbox and GameCube, but if you argue there's not a significant difference in power between the Wii U and the PS4 or Xbox One, you're just being ignorant. There's enough evidence to support that the Wii U is about 1.5x as powerful as the PS3 and Xbox 360, but nowhere close to the PS4 and Xbox One. So it is relevant because Wii U owners are missing out on a lot of good 3rd party games or, in the rare case there's a Wii U port of a 3rd party game, have to settle for less in graphics and features.
Terrible OS and general software - the OS do what needs to do, what more do you want?
"If it ain't broke...", right? Wii U does what it needs to do, at a bare minimum level. And that's the problem with its lackluster OS that until recently didn't even have folders to organize your icons. The multitasking is slow, the user interface leaves much to be desired, and the OS lacks features that would make the Wii U much more compelling for what it's currently selling for. Humor me and try posting a screenshot to Miiverse from Smash Bros. If it doesn't take almost 2 minutes I'm genuinely surprised.
Huge confusion on their peripherals(Why can't I play a Wii title with WiiU Pro Controller? Because they're lazy enough to implement it) - half agree, there are games that you couldn't control properly without motion controls that all the other options lack, how do you plan to point and jump at the same time in Mario Galaxy??. but some other games could use a more traditional control scheme without problem like New Super Mario Bros. Wii.
Why are you saying you "half agree" when you admit things could be vastly better? It's only logical to conclude that the Wii U Pro Controller should be compatible with Wii games that supported the Classic Controller. The two have almost identical layouts even. Also, what's with Nintendo limiting the GameCube Controller Adapter to work with only 1 game? Remember that Nintendo on their own website said the adapter would work with Wii games before revising the statement, so even Nintendo is confused on their peripherals.
Terrible Filters on VC titles - half agree. I only have SNES and GBA VC titles, SNES has no filtering options(even though I think is not needed) and the GBA scale 2X thing is terrible. but isn't really a problem, Sony offers the basic bilinear filtering that sometimes looks like shit, some others don't.
You again half agree despite admitting the scaling in GBA games is terrible? Virtual Console has terrible filters, that's fact. Just play Duck Hunt on Virtual Console to see how lifeless and ugly the game looks like compared to the original on NES. Also, FYI, you can turn off filtering for PS Classics games on Sony consoles.
Lack of the most basic stuff in VC titles (like button re-map) - you can remap the buttons and even use a Wiimote on some SNES games that required classic controller on Wii, and you can create a savestate. you can't remap controls of PSClassics on PS3 and savestates are nonexistent, same with Xbox originals on Xbox 360. PS4/Xbone don't have any form of classics.
For what it's worth Virtual Console games on 3DS don't support remapping of buttons even in NES games. Wii U Virtual Console is better in this regard, though the user interface could be much better. Also, who would want to remap buttons for PS Classics on PS3 when the controllers for PS1, PS2, and PS3 games have identical layouts? I don't even understand expecting such support. It's different for NES, SNES, GBA, etc., where each console has a different controller layout. I agree with the lack of save states for PS Classics on PS3 though and it's only a matter of time before PS4 (and Xbox One) get their own set of "classics". (PS4 has a 100+ PS3 game catalog to stream from already, what more can you ask for at this point?)

Reactions: VMM

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
the only 2 real problem I see there is the region lock and digital content claim, the other are minor problems that aren't a big deal. don't be a drama queen.
but still Nintendo should step it up and iron them out as are rather serious.

Drama Queen is your ass. If the console doesn't attend my necessities why should I buy it.
I'll put money on what's worth in my opinion, and WiiU is not, stop blindly defending Nintendo,
they're outdated and will need a lot of changes if they want to make their consoles sell,
changes on their market view, changes on how they treat the consumers and a lot others,
it's time for a new CEO to step up on Nintendo, someone younger and that attends what the market demands.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Reactions: Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
This line of thinking doesn't make sense. It's a chicken vs. egg kind of problem. How do you know you're going to like the game without properly trying it out before purchase? Nintendo not only lacks in providing demos for their games, but the demos themselves are very limited and often fail to give you a good impression of what the game is about.
If you can't get if a game is of your liking after the 3rd use or so then you are doing something wrong ask me. but I agree that there are a number of important games without demos and that is Nintendo's fault, on the other hand said games are the ones that sell for the name alone(Super Mario 3D Land/World, Hyrule Warriors and such) so they may think that don't need a demo.
Purchases are tied to hardware, no cloud game saves, accounts are not portable across devices, integration with 3DS limited to eShop funds, etc. Must I keep going on?
That's why I asked if he referred to that, I totally agree that Nintendo definitely should tie purchases to Nintendo IDs instead of Console IDs. the actual account system the Wii U has is like the login on Windows 9x, you could even cancel the dialog box asking to start a session and the PC booted to desktop anyway.
This has been beaten to death, but I'll bite. You can argue the PS2 was relatively weak in comparison to the Xbox and GameCube, but if you argue there's not a significant difference in power between the Wii U and the PS4 or Xbox One, you're just being ignorant. There's enough evidence to support that the Wii U is about 1.5x as powerful as the PS3 and Xbox 360, but nowhere close to the PS4 and Xbox One. So it is relevant because Wii U owners are missing out on a lot of good 3rd party games or, in the rare case there's a Wii U port of a 3rd party game, have to settle for less in graphics and features.
May I ask then how is possible that games are being released for PS3/X360 and PS4/Xbone at the same time if said 7 gen consoles are even less powerful than the Wii U?? the only reason developers are "lazy" to not launch games on Wii U are the low expectations they have on Wii U sales.
"If it ain't broke...", right? Wii U does what it needs to do, at a bare minimum level. And that's the problem with its lackluster OS that until recently didn't even have folders to organize your icons. The multitasking is slow, the user interface leaves much to be desired, and the OS lacks features that would make the Wii U much more compelling for what it's currently selling for. Humor me and try posting a screenshot to Miiverse from Smash Bros. If it doesn't take almost 2 minutes I'm genuinely surprised.
You can say almost the same about the PS4 OS, at this moment doesn't have folders, the organization of the games/apps is nonexistant, if you lose connection you need to completely turn off the system and turn it on again. they can improve it and I hope they will, X360 completely changed the menu 2 time.
Now in the Miiverse part I agree, I completely forgot about that bit.
Why are you saying you "half agree" when you admit things could be vastly better? It's only logical to conclude that the Wii U Pro Controller should be compatible with Wii games that supported the Classic Controller. The two have almost identical layouts even. Also, what's with Nintendo limiting the GameCube Controller Adapter to work with only 1 game? Remember that Nintendo on their own website said the adapter would work with Wii games before revising the statement, so even Nintendo is confused on their peripherals.
I partly agree because there are games that could use the more traditional controllers like the Wii U Pro or Wii Classic but some others where would be ridiculous to adapt the sensor bar or motion plus, good luck playing Metroid Prime Trilogy or Skyward Sword with a Wii U Pro controller.
I didn't know that Nintendo had put that the Gamecube adapter would work with Wii games I only saw the direct and Iwata never said that.
You again half agree despite admitting the scaling in GBA games is terrible? Virtual Console has terrible filters, that's fact. Just play Duck Hunt on Virtual Console to see how lifeless and ugly the game looks like compared to the original on NES. Also, FYI, you can turn off filtering for PS Classics games on Sony consoles.
I don't find bilinear filtering necessary on 2D games, always looks like shit, there are no official emulator that offer more filtering than bilinear and now that Nintendo adds scale2x is terrible that I regret having though about advanced filters on official emulators. I don't own any NES VC game so I can't talk there.
If we factor in the 3DS I completely agree about it, 3DS has no filters, no nothing but display NES games at almost native resolution(they stretch the games horizontally to match 4:3 aspect ratio) while PSP and Vita can turn on/off bilinear filtering and even manipulate the size and position of the display.
For what it's worth Virtual Console games on 3DS don't support remapping of buttons even in NES games. Wii U Virtual Console is better in this regard, though the user interface could be much better. Also, who would want to remap buttons for PS Classics on PS3 when the controllers for PS1, PS2, and PS3 games have identical layouts? I don't even understand expecting such support. It's different for NES, SNES, GBA, etc., where each console has a different controller layout. I agree with the lack of save states for PS Classics on PS3 though and it's only a matter of time before PS4 (and Xbox One) get their own set of "classics". (PS4 has a 100+ PS3 game catalog to stream from already, what more can you ask for at this point?)

You could say the same about SNES games, why would you want remap the controls if the Wii gamepad has the same buttons as a SNES controller?? well because why not.
I also hope that PS4 will get new aditions in the classics department, but until now Wii U is the best for the fact that is the only one that has classics.
Again if we factor in portables, PSP and Vita win. want to press X with analog up?? sure.

Drama Queen is your ass. If the console doesn't attend my necessities why should I buy it.
I'll put money on what's worth in my opinion, and WiiU is not, stop blindly defending Nintendo,
they're outdated and will need a lot of changes if they want to make their consoles sell,
changes on their market view, changes on how they treat the consumers and a lot others,
it's time for a new CEO to step up on Nintendo, someone younger and that attends what the market demands.

well maybe I exaggerated calling you drama queen but I hate when people bash things unfairly.
I think the directory and investors of Nintendo have more guilt than Iwata himself, after all a president is only the face not the brain.

And don't think I'm a nin10tard, I have no preference(well I'm not very fond of Microsoft) and my only objective is to enjoy games regardless of platform.
I have all the consoles of last gen, PS4, Wii U and both portables of the current and enjoy them all. :yaysp:

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

To be fair, that's a gaming industry problem, not just Nintendo. Making a demo requires work (especially one that's not just the first 20 minutes of the game cut and pasted) and often actively harms sales compared to just trailers and marketing. Just go on Steam and check for some recent AAA releases whether there's a demo.
It's also not related to the limited uses. 30 uses should REALLY be enough to know whether you like a game. That allows you to boot the game once a day, play it as long as you want without closing, for a month straight.

(that said, I'd really like every game to have demos, of course, but it's just unlikely to happen for money reasons)

Reactions: shinkodachi

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
If you can't get if a game is of your liking after the 3rd use or so then you are doing something wrong ask me. but I agree that there are a number of important games without demos and that is Nintendo's fault, on the other hand said games are the ones that sell for the name alone(Super Mario 3D Land/World, Hyrule Warriors and such) so they may think that don't need a demo.
Play the Pikmin 3 demo, then buy Pikmin 3 and play the actual game. It's a very different experience and that's what I was referring to. Limited demos often don't give you a good understanding of the game and you just can't know if you'll like the full game as well. This is obviously more important for unique games like Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, etc., but it's still an area where Nintendo lacks and offering full game trials instead would be a better idea. In fact, make it so that I can purchase an unlock to the full game without downloading additional stuff. That's how it's on PS3 if you have PS+.
May I ask then how is possible that games are being released for PS3/X360 and PS4/Xbone at the same time if said 7 gen consoles are even less powerful than the Wii U?? the only reason developers are "lazy" to not launch games on Wii U are the low expectations they have on Wii U sales.
At this point in time it's not a wonder that games have simultaneous releases for 7th and 8th gen consoles. By your logic Just Dance 2015 shouldn't be on Wii because it's as powerful as 1/3 of a Wii U. Developers don't spend nights tinkering with code for a specific console only. If the framework is there for both 7th and 8th generation consoles, they'll write the code once and make it work with all compatible consoles. The true reason developers are skipping the Wii U is the platform itself. Don't give me the the low sales expectations excuse, which is only partially true. Certain games excel in sales on Wii U, just ask Shovel Knight's developer. Big 3rd party developers just can't be bothered to cater to the Wii U and the Wii U GamePad. Wii U ports of games have always been delayed because of just that. Watch_Dogs says hi.
You can say almost the same about the PS4 OS, at this moment doesn't have folders, the organization of the games/apps is nonexistant, if you lose connection you need to completely turn off the system and turn it on again. they can improve it and I hope they will, X360 completely changed the menu 2 time.
PS4 Dynamic Menu takes a different approach than Wii U's grid of icons. There's no reason to compare the features of each user interface when the design and approach itself is very different. I know that PS4's OS can look extremely cluttered as I have one myself, but then again it's also designed to be extremely fast so you get to your content quicker than you would on a Wii U at the end of the day.
I partly agree because there are games that could use the more traditional controllers like the Wii U Pro or Wii Classic but some others where would be ridiculous to adapt the sensor bar or motion plus, good luck playing Metroid Prime Trilogy or Skyward Sword with a Wii U Pro controller.
I didn't know that Nintendo had put that the Gamecube adapter would work with Wii games I only saw the direct and Iwata never said that.
Nobody said a word about making motion controlled games work with a traditional controller. Have fun playing Wii Sports on a Wii U Pro Controller! ... No. You're dancing around the question. Nevertheless, here's the article you wanted to read: Turns Out The GameCube Controller Adapter Won't Be Compatible With Other Wii U Software.
You could say the same about SNES games, why would you want remap the controls if the Wii gamepad has the same buttons as a SNES controller?? well because why not.
I also hope that PS4 will get new aditions in the classics department, but until now Wii U is the best for the fact that is the only one that has classics.
Again if we factor in portables, PSP and Vita win. want to press X with analog up?? sure.
The difference is that the SNES controller has less buttons and a different layout than the Wii U GamePad. However, the DualShock, DualShock 2, and DualShock 3 have an identical amount of buttons used in games and an identical layout. Games designed for the DualShock work equally well when played with the DualShock 2 or DualShock 3, etc. As for your latter point, the fact that the Wii U Virtual Console is worse than the Wii Virtual Console is telling of its quality. It's just a matter of time before Sony and Microsoft both kick in with their plans for "classics" releases. With improved rereleases of the top PS3 games available and coming to the PS4 and PlayStation Now streaming there's already a great amount of older content available for PS4. If they put PS1 and PS2 Classics on the system it'll have already by far exceeded anything Nintendo could ever dream of in terms of quantity.

Not trying to shoot down everything you say here, but you do sound like a Nintendo fanboy so if it's true you own all the consoles you mentioned and you still love Nintendo this much then good for you. I enjoy my Wii U and PS4 as well, but I am and can be critical of them when necessary. So far, despite less content currently on PS4, I still find more problems with the Wii U than PS4. My problem is that 2 year old articles like this still feel relevant: http://www.gengame.net/2013/04/wii-u-the-box-of-broken-promises/. And where is TVii in Europe, Nintendo? I don't care about the Wii U GamePad all that much, but I'd still like to see the promised support for two connected at once. Just one more to add to the list of broken promises, I guess.

Reactions: Sakitoshi
D

Deleted User

I don't understand why anyone would wanna play these fantastic games with a fucking WiiMote? no gimmicks for me please thank you i'll stick to originals.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand why anyone would wanna play these fantastic games with a fucking WiiMote? no gimmicks for me please thank you i'll stick to originals.
Have you even tried it? It's a lot easier to aim than with a GC controller (and yes, I've played both versions). The Wii remote isn't a gimmick, it's a wonderful way to play shooters. Unless you're just have the worst coordination ever.

Besides, the third one already used a Wii remote.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I hate to say this, but even Call of Duty is better on Wii. :D

What we really need though is this:
Screen Shot 2015-02-02 at 23.49.53.png

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

opinion etc but I agree with Joostin. Maybe if the original used the c-stick for camera control instead of however it worked (hold down x to aim but stop moving or something? I forgot) it would be fine, but the Wiimote allows you to instantly point at and shoot anything on the screen, and turning is really quick too with pretty minimal arm movements. In this case it's not really a gimmick, it's probably the second best way to aim (right after a mouse).

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
opinion etc but I agree with Joostin. Maybe if the original used the c-stick for camera control instead of however it worked (hold down x to aim but stop moving or something? I forgot) it would be fine, but the Wiimote allows you to instantly point at and shoot anything on the screen, and turning is really quick too with pretty minimal arm movements. In this case it's not really a gimmick, it's probably the second best way to aim (right after a mouse).
They were great games, just poor controls. It was really tough to shoot anything that was above you.

Using the remote to point at the screen does take some getting used to, but once you master it you can shoot wings off a fly.

shinkodachi Check this out: http://www.hacksden.com/showthread.php/7266-The-Wii-U-Zapper-and-what-potential-it-holds

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
At the end of the day the Wiimote is a pointing device. Did you know a PC mouse is also a pointing device? So what if we take the concept of playing FPS games with a keyboard and mouse to the living room with the Wiimote and Nunchuk? Wouldn't that be like, what, the ultimate perversion every member of the PC Master Race has ever dreamed of? :P

JoostinOnline I've seen that video and it's awesome. I hope Nintendo makes the new Zapper a reality. Lots of potential there. Maybe planned for release with Splatoon?

D

Deleted User

Have you even tried it? It's a lot easier to aim than with a GC controller (and yes, I've played both versions). The Wii remote isn't a gimmick, it's a wonderful way to play shooters. Unless you're just have the worst coordination ever.

Besides, the third one already used a Wii remote.

Yes i have tried it, i have a hacked wii you know so why wouldn't i try it. You comparing motion control gimmicks to a real GC controller is hilarious though Nintendo fucked up with the Wii so many games people will never play cuz of the stupid gimmick controls. I REALLY wanna play Galaxy but o well.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I hate to say this, but even Call of Duty is better on Wii. :D

What we really need though is this:
View attachment 15279

Wouldn't the GamePad fall off from that? The only way of making it sure to have it secured would be if it had screws or glued, which are neither ideal.

Nevertheless, it looks like a really fun way to play shooters! :D

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Yes i have tried it, i have a hacked wii you know so why wouldn't i try it. You comparing motion control gimmicks to a real GC controller is hilarious though Nintendo fucked up with the Wii so many games people will never play cuz of the stupid gimmick controls. I REALLY wanna play Galaxy but o well.
Right, nobody played the most popular console of that generation. :rolleyes:

You clearly just suck at aiming if you think it's difficult.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: and i have to sleep somewhere else