ROM Hack Metroid: Other M Redux (Based on Maxximum Edition)

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Great work on the updated Power Suit model! Just one quick question, would it be feasible to port Redux to the Japanese version, so the Japanese voice track can be included? With the other project going on, this may be unnecessary, but I think it would be cool.

Redux already works for the Japanese version.

Actually, most people don't know it, but the US and Japanese version are one and the same, the game only changes language options and audio tracks depending on which console loads the game.

So all in all, Redux should already work for Japanese version, I also redid the cutscene files to have the Japanese audio tracks/channels into the cutscenes, but they don't have the specific audio editing I did for the English audio.

novortices

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Redux already works for the Japanese version.

Actually, most people don't know it, but the US and Japanese version are one and the same, the game only changes language options and audio tracks depending on which console loads the game.

So all in all, Redux should already work for Japanese version, I also redid the cutscene files to have the Japanese audio tracks/channels into the cutscenes, but they don't have the specific audio editing I did for the English audio.
Really? Wouldn't things like the DOL patch and the Gecko code not work?

novortices

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Gecko code is not required if you're using the DOL patch.
And from what I know both the US and Japanese ISOs are 100% one and the same, so they should work either way.
Just tried it out. It works perfectly! The one issue is that the voice lines for the Japanese track (specifically, the "[item] restored. Activating." are unchanged from the originals. Maybe you could just use the replacements from the English track and paste them in to the Japanese voice track, or potentially use a Japanese TTS for the suit voice.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Just tried it out. It works perfectly! The one issue is that the voice lines for the Japanese track (specifically, the "[item] restored. Activating." are unchanged from the originals. Maybe you could just use the replacements from the English track and paste them in to the Japanese voice track, or potentially use a Japanese TTS for the suit voice.
Yeah that's what I meant with "they (Japanese tracks) don't have the specific audio editing I did for the English audio".
I didn't bother touching up the japanese tracks because doing Japanese voices is way harder than with English, and also I don't know Japanese, so I would be doing the Japanese voices blindly without knowing if the translations are right or not, so sadly the Japanese audio would have to remain as-is.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
@ShadowOne333 I asked if it was possible to remove the mandatory saving every time you enter a save room and you didn't answer.
Mandatory saving?
As far as I know, Other M only let's you save in Navigation Booths, doesn't it?
Unless you mean having to save so the door opens afterwards, in that case, it should be possible yeah, but I'm not sure how that could be done with my current knowledge, I barely did anything coding wise, so I'm in unknown territory there.

temper999

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I am not able to get it working. I am using Dolphin in Portable mode. So I put the Mod Folder to the following folder:

d:\Dolphin-x64\User\Load\Riivolution

1690812682513.png

After loading with activated patches I see no difference:

1690812587403.png

Can someone give me a hint how to get it to work, please?

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I am not able to get it working. I am using Dolphin in Portable mode. So I put the Mod Folder to the following folder:

d:\Dolphin-x64\User\Load\Riivolution

View attachment 385965

After loading with activated patches I see no difference:

View attachment 385964

Can someone give me a hint how to get it to work, please?

Check the "[Riivolution] Other M Redux.xml" file, open it up with a text editor like Notepad++ and check the paths inside the file, most likely the paths are wrong and you need to fix them to your proper folders where you have the "Other M Redux" folder in your PC.

temper999

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
@ShadowOne333 Hmm I already tried this:
<patch id="Patched DOL">
<file external="D:\Dolphin-x64\User\Load\Riivolution\Other M Redux\redux.dol" disc="main.dol"/>
</patch>
<patch id="3D Models">
<folder external="D:\Dolphin-x64\User\Load\Riivolution\Other M Redux\model" disc="/" recursive="false"/>
</patch>
<patch id="Audio & SFX">
<folder external="D:\Dolphin-x64\User\Load\Riivolution\Other M Redux\sound\bgm" disc="/sound/bgm/"/>
</patch>
<patch id="Maxximum OST">
<folder external="D:\Dolphin-x64\User\Load\Riivolution\Other M Redux\sound\ost" disc="/sound/bgm/"/>
</patch>
<patch id="Original Title Screen BGM">
<folder external="D:\Dolphin-x64\User\Load\Riivolution\Other M Redux\sound\title" disc="/sound/bgm/"/>
</patch>
<patch id="CG Movie Cutscenes">
<folder external="D:\Dolphin-x64\User\Load\Riivolution\Other M Redux\movie" disc="/movie/"/>
</patch>
<patch id="Text, Messages & Subtitles">
<folder external="D:\Dolphin-x64\User\Load\Riivolution\Other M Redux\message" disc="/message/"/>
</patch>

As well with "/" instead of "\". But with no luck.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
@ShadowOne333 Hmm I already tried this:

As well with "/" instead of "\". But with no luck.
The "Other M Redux" folder should go inside "D:/Dolphin-x64/User/Load/", outside of the Riivolution folder. The only file that should be inside the "Riivolution" folder should be the XML file (and the "config" file), nothing else.
Try moving the "Other M Redux" inside "Load" and see if that makes it work. Also update the paths in the XML file accordingly.
In one of my Windows setups, I have them like:
Code:
<folder external="/Other M Redux/"
and then the subfolders depending on which thing will be loaded.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also did not work. So I gave up and replaced the files directly in the iso :)
One trick you can do that only works on Dolphin is to extract the contents of the ISO and replace the files directly—Dolphin actually supports playing extracted ISOs.

As for your trouble with portable Dolphin, that's very strange since I came up with the Riivolution idea with portable Dolphin...

ThatOneFello

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dumb question incoming: Where is the "Other M Redux" Zip folder located? The one on the IA website just gave me a movie folder.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Dumb question incoming: Where is the "Other M Redux" Zip folder located? The one on the IA website just gave me a movie folder.
You click on the "ZIP" word when you enter the website, it's on a box at the right.

Downloading that should give you a zip which includes all the folders, and then inside the "Other M Redux" folder a bunch of other folders and one "movie.zip" file. This one is included as a zip because for some reason Archive doesn't allow me to upload the .sfd files alone, so I have to upload them as a zip instead.

Read the instructions on the Archive page, it should tell you everything regarding this.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By the way, there's someone that left an inquiry for help in the review section on the Archive page that is in fact trying to use it on a real Wii (which, last I checked, is not something we ever were able to try)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto