ROM Hack Metroid: Other M Redux (Based on Maxximum Edition)

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This mod is not compatible with real hardware? That's a real bummer.
To be clear, it's compatible with real hardware if using a USB loader—it's only running it from an actual disc + Riivolution that is untested.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, my friend's dad had a physical copy of the game like a decade ago but we've no idea what happened to it (e.g. if he sold it or whatnot).

Felold

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Ah, ok then.
I'm still yet to try It, the process of patching seems complicated.
I wish It had an auto-patcher like other games do.

Last edited by Felold,

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem with auto-patchers is that they're usually platform-dependent. What if you want to run this on a Steam Deck? That's Linux, not Windows.

(That being said, Wii Backup Fusion is a Windows program, but it's an existing program from over a decade ago—a time when using Linux for gaming tasks was much less of a thing)

The only thing I'd say is that the instructions on the archive.org page could probably use a bit clearer organization since, for real hardware, all you need to care about is the text beginning with CREATE A NEW ISO.

EDIT:
...though I'm now realizing even the bullet points could probably be streamlined a bit. Another easy way to streamline things would be to have the file names of the redux version actually match the original folders, thereby not requiring manual renaming. This would of course also require tweaking the riivolution xml file but that's easy enough.

And even if the file names need to be kept different between use with Riivolution and making a new ISO, there is the trick of using a 7z archive with a large enough dictionary size so that it simply compresses the total file size down to the same as if you only had one copy of the file rather than two.

Last edited by Nintendo Maniac,

ThatOneFello

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You click on the "ZIP" word when you enter the website, it's on a box at the right.

Downloading that should give you a zip which includes all the folders, and then inside the "Other M Redux" folder a bunch of other folders and one "movie.zip" file. This one is included as a zip because for some reason Archive doesn't allow me to upload the .sfd files alone, so I have to upload them as a zip instead.

Read the instructions on the Archive page, it should tell you everything regarding this.
On my end, the only "ZIP" that shows up on the right is this here which contains the movies
1692574078705.png

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
On my end, the only "ZIP" that shows up on the right is this here which contains the moviesView attachment 389380

Oh I see, then yeah the one you need to get is the torrent file and download it all as a torrent, then you should get the full files. It's the only way currently from what I know, since Archive not reading the SFD files really screws me over.
I hope I can add the movies in an .sfd format made by CryTools soon enough after Kwasior updates the tool, since the SFD files made with that tool are properly read by Archive.org, unlike the ones by Dreamcast Movie Creator.

By the way, there's someone that left an inquiry for help in the review section on the Archive page that is in fact trying to use it on a real Wii (which, last I checked, is not something we ever were able to try)

I did see that inquiry, I'll try to reply and reformat the instructions a little bit.

The problem with auto-patchers is that they're usually platform-dependent. What if you want to run this on a Steam Deck? That's Linux, not Windows.

(That being said, Wii Backup Fusion is a Windows program, but it's an existing program from over a decade ago—a time when using Linux for gaming tasks was much less of a thing)

The only thing I'd say is that the instructions on the archive.org page could probably use a bit clearer organization since, for real hardware, all you need to care about is the text beginning with CREATE A NEW ISO.

EDIT:
...though I'm now realizing even the bullet points could probably be streamlined a bit. Another easy way to streamline things would be to have the file names of the redux version actually match the original folders, thereby not requiring manual renaming. This would of course also require tweaking the riivolution xml file but that's easy enough.

And even if the file names need to be kept different between use with Riivolution and making a new ISO, there is the trick of using a 7z archive with a large enough dictionary size so that it simply compresses the total file size down to the same as if you only had one copy of the file rather than two.

What would you suggest towards streamlining the bullet points better?
The way I handled the folders and files are so that people more or less know that the extension-less files are models themselves, unlike the other files which all do have extensions.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh I see, then yeah the one you need to get is the torrent file and download it all as a torrent, then you should get the full files.
Are you not able to just click the "319 Files" or "186 Original" links located to the right of the "SHOW ALL" in order to download the files the old fashioned way?

What would you suggest towards streamlining the bullet points better?
Part of what I was saying was related to the file names, i.e. if they matched the source then it's be easier to explain while the other part is regarding how the "CREATE A NEW ISO" is kind of buried under the Riivolution method making it look like they go together.

The way I handled the folders and files are so that people more or less know that the extension-less files are models themselves, unlike the other files which all do have extensions.
Since I have 24GB of RAM which lets me make 7z archives with a 2048 dictionary size, I might humor myself and see if I can put together a sort of "proof of concept" regarding that 7z archive idea.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Are you not able to just click the "319 Files" or "186 Original" links located to the right of the "SHOW ALL" in order to download the files the old fashioned way?

Oh I forgot those worked as zip links too. Yeah you're right, I think select the "186 original" button should download the proper files for the project.

Part of what I was saying was related to the file names, i.e. if they matched the source then it's be easier to explain while the other part is regarding how the "CREATE A NEW ISO" is kind of buried under the Riivolution method making it look like they go together.

Oh I see.
I think I might need to add a note saying that the user should either use one or the other, not the two together.
They both can be used for the same ends, meaning playing either on emulator or on real hardware, but that depends on the user.

Since I have 24GB of RAM which lets me make 7z archives with a 2048 dictionary size, I might humor myself and see if I can put together a sort of "proof of concept" regarding that 7z archive idea.

What would be the end goal for that?

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What would be the end goal for that?
The idea is that you can have multiple copies of a single file with different files names (i.e. for different folder organization structures) without taking up any more size archive-wise.

So my idea was to basically have a copy of the files in the folder structure that matches how the files are arranged on the ISO itself, allowing one to just directly extract and overwrite all in one quick & easy step.

ScatlinkSean

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hello again; it's been a while. Just catching up on what's been discussed.

Amazing that the original Power Suit is now in all cutscenes! I did see that something to do with model cutscene data being found after Sector Zero (when you get the Gravity Suit) could be where the game determines what suit model is called into use.

Has any additional findings or work gone into this? I'd say that's the last thing that really needs doing. Surely it's as simple as "load Gravity Suit model" instead of Varia, but then again it would need to be specifically a cutscene-specific model.
Couldn't duplicating the current Varia cutscene model and changing the copy's textures to what the Gravity Suit uses work? Same data, different color.

I could be over-simplifying things when in reality it's more complicated, but if the game just needs a compatible model to load; why not copy what's there, point to the copy and change the copy's model textures?

I'm just spit-balling an idea.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hello again; it's been a while. Just catching up on what's been discussed.

Amazing that the original Power Suit is now in all cutscenes! I did see that something to do with model cutscene data being found after Sector Zero (when you get the Gravity Suit) could be where the game determines what suit model is called into use.

Has any additional findings or work gone into this? I'd say that's the last thing that really needs doing. Surely it's as simple as "load Gravity Suit model" instead of Varia, but then again it would need to be specifically a cutscene-specific model.
Couldn't duplicating the current Varia cutscene model and changing the copy's textures to what the Gravity Suit uses work? Same data, different color.

I could be over-simplifying things when in reality it's more complicated, but if the game just needs a compatible model to load; why not copy what's there, point to the copy and change the copy's model textures?

I'm just spit-balling an idea.
I did give it a little more search, it seems like there's some cutscene data in some of the the extensionless files, starting around file 380 (405 I believe it to be dm57, which is just right after the one for the Sector Zero cutscene, which is dm56). In those there seems to be some animation data, and some other calls to models, but I couldn't find a way to make it call the model for the gravity suit instead of the Varia one, that still remains unknown, but at least I got closer.

Other than that, not much has been done regarding this.

obesebear

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Congratulations on finishing this project! I'm so glad you were able to figure out how to get the model swap working. I can't wait to finally play Other M for the first time with all of the improvements you've made.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Two quick protips that could be improved regarding the Riivolution method instructions.

1. The easiest way to find the correct folder in Linux is, within Dolphin, go to File ▶ Open User Folder. From there, you just open "load" and the "Riivolution" folder is right there.

2. For real Wii homebrew, the Riivolution files really should similarly "just work" as-is as Dolphin's implementation is directly intended to be used with the exact same files designed for real hardware. That being said, I haven't used Riivolution on real hardware for over a decade, so I don't 100% remember where exactly exactly one puts the files on their SD card (or USB drive if it even supports that?) assuming it even matters considering that the wiibrew article for Riivolution isn't even really specifying that...

Reactions: ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Two quick protips that could be improved regarding the Riivolution method instructions.

1. The easiest way to find the correct folder in Linux is, within Dolphin, go to File ▶ Open User Folder. From there, you just open "load" and the "Riivolution" folder is right there.

2. For real Wii homebrew, the Riivolution files really should similarly "just work" as-is as Dolphin's implementation is directly intended to be used with the exact same files designed for real hardware. That being said, I haven't used Riivolution on real hardware for over a decade, so I don't 100% remember where exactly exactly one puts the files on their SD card (or USB drive if it even supports that?) assuming it even matters considering that the wiibrew article for Riivolution isn't even really specifying that...
The Riivolution file is something I still need to rework so it properly works for most people.
The base one I have in the Archive link was used for a Steam Deck, and it's far from being compatible with even other Linux distros, much less Windows on its own.
I think I'll have to make a couple other Riivolution files, one for Windows and one for Linux, and then I'll keep the current one for Steam Deck users.

emcintosh

On the internet, everyone knows I'm a cat
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

doomreaverx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you
Post automatically merged:

Got everything to work accept the 3rd person missles i have the gecko code inputed and everything but still no 3rd person missles

Last edited by doomreaverx,

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Thank you
Post automatically merged:

Got everything to work accept the 3rd person missles i have the gecko code inputed and everything but still no 3rd person missles
Try with only the Redux dol file included in the package, that already has the 3rd person missiles patched in without needing any Gecko codes

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto