Hacking Luma3DS - Noob-proof 3DS Custom Firmware

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sorry, exam stress and then this. I guess I let frustration bring out the teenager in me.

The guide never got Homebrew going so I give up & I won't be coming back here (I have enough paid for games anyway), but I want to thank everyone who tried to help.

Sorry for the tantrum.
@PsychoBabble If you ever change your mind, we will try our best to help you. For starting Steelhax, your SD should look like this

SD:
├─── 3ds
│.....├──steelhax_installer
│.....│.....├── steelhax_installer.3dsx
│.....│.....├── steelhax_installer.smdh
│.....│.....├── steelhax_installer.xml
├─── boot.3dsx
├─── Nintendo 3ds
│.....├── [ID0]
│.....│.....├──
[…omitting the content of the normal Nintendo folder and the path to the manipulated 00000001.sav]
├── steelhax
│.....├── code.bin
│.....├── payload.bin
│.....└── rop.bin

Please don't make it harder for you than it really is. Turning on the file extensions in Windows (ike it or not) is almost mandatory for this process so you don't screw up names like payload.bin.bin

Make sure you have the correct payload.bin file (region, version, new/old system).

As you mentioned you wanted some pictures, there actually exist some helpful pictures for troubleshooting Steelhax/Frogminer and others on this page:
https://3ds.eiphax.tech/issues.html

Assuming you have a European model, there is no free DSiWare, but you mentioned at some point that you bought a lot of software on the eShop. If you have bought any DSiWare title or are willing to spend 2€ for such a game, you can also use the slightly easier/faster "Fredminer" method.

https://3ds.eiphax.tech/fredminer.html

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

PsychoBabble

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Estonia
I came back because I was telling my gf about this and we looked at it together... turns out (because I'm dislexic) I kept putting a file in a wrong folder!!!

The guide is GOOD and I'm a klutz. Apologies for my outburst... I really only embarrassed myself.

Anyway, everything went well and easily BUT my Pokemon Shuffle (my favourite game, damn it!) is telling me that it's corrupted and won't open!!!
The game's asking me to FORMAT, which I imagine means I'll lose 3 years of play data!

Sigh. Now I have to read how to fix this and hope that none of my other games are broken too (I only tried Picross and it worked fine).

I'll also have to read how to get the Freeshop, because I've no idea how to play anything otherwise.

Thanks everyone for putting up with me.

EDIT

Oh, and now I feel EXTRA BAD!!!

I came back to apologise and let you all know it was my fault all along and I have 1 PM offering 1-on-1 help and another person in this forum.
Social media made me think all of the internet is... well, not very nice, but you people are a beacon of light for humanity (insert high five).

Last edited by PsychoBabble,

PsychoBabble

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Estonia
I'm trying to find guides online of where to get back ups and how to play them. Do you know of any?

Also, my Pokemon Shuffle did have to reformat!!!
Are there any cheats to get all my XP, skills, pokemon, etc back?

PsychoBabble

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Estonia
I can find back ups myself... I just don't know what to do with them once I have them.

Also, I found a Pokemon Shuffle save editor thread on this site (this site has everything!), but it tqlks about some ninjihacks or something, which I'm pretty sure I didn't install with the guide.

Somebody in school told me about this 3DS hacking thing & he said he just runs an app and picks whatever game he has from the list to enable cheats. He doesn't know anything else though, he paid somebody to hack/set it up for him.

BaamAlex

UDE GA NARU ZE!
Trophies
Website
hmpg.net
XP
Country
Germany
I just don't know what to do with them once I have them.
Install them with fbi. This files have the extension .cia. And thats the reason why you need fbi.

Also, I found a Pokemon Shuffle save editor thread on this site (this site has everything!), but it tqlks about some ninjihacks or something, which I'm pretty sure I didn't install with the guide.
Ninjhax is an entrypoint for homebrew and obsolete for you because you have cfw.

Reactions: Quantumcat

Orry

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
South Africa
Good day all
Have a 3ds on firmware version 7 never been modded.

I need help sorry

I followed the guide everything went well until in the guide it says update the 3DS

My question is I know there there was a yesterday 28/05/19

Did that break the bootstrap hack? If not is it safe to update from 7 to leasest firmware? And then run homebrew launcher, when I skip that step and try run homebrew it just hangs at the 3DS logo.

Thank you advance

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Good day all
Have a 3ds on firmware version 7 never been modded.

I need help sorry

I followed the guide everything went well until in the guide it says update the 3DS

My question is I know there there was a yesterday 28/05/19

Did that break the bootstrap hack? If not is it safe to update from 7 to leasest firmware? And then run homebrew launcher, when I skip that step and try run homebrew it just hangs at the 3DS logo.

Thank you advance
It's safe. And once you have CFW you need to use Rosalina to access homebrew, you can't use any userland exploit. Finish https://3ds.guide/finalizing-setup

Orry

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
South Africa
Sorry again how would I know luma was installed? Nothing under system settings no info? Or would I just boot normal?

Thanks again

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1