Hacking Luma3DS - Noob-proof 3DS Custom Firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted-368796

RX-tools is dead. AuReiNand is dead. Long live Luma. And yes, I am sure that once you are a9lh'd up you can just verify your firm string (should says "Sys ", not "Ver.") and hit update. Doesn't matter O3DS or N3DS. If you want to keep using NTR on the latest 11.2, you need https://github.com/astronautlevel2/BootNTR/releases/
Ah, thanks for the link. I will give that a go once I finish setting everything up.
For now, I'd like to be able to keep my existing rei available until I am satisfied with my Luma setup. Just in case I screw something up.

Here is a question that I have not seen the answer to yet. If you are running Luma over your sysNAND, then update, are both the sysNAND and Luma firmwares on the same ver?
(meaning you will no longer be on 9.0)

Long live Luma.
Thanks for the sly correction. Just realized that I had been typing it wrong. LoL

Last edited by ,

logg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, thanks for the link. I will give that a go once I finish setting everything up.
For now, I'd like to be able to keep my existing rei available until I am satisfied with my Luma setup. Just in case I screw something up.
To keep your existing rei, I would just make an SD card backup, and then forget about keeping it and follow Plailect's guide. Like I said before, AuReiNand is just what Luma used to be called, it's the same project, but AuReiNand is "old".

Here is a question that I have not seen the answer to yet. If you are running Luma over your sysNAND, then update, are both the sysNAND and Luma firmwares on the same ver?

(meaning you will no longer be on 9.0)
My understanding of this isn't the best, but Luma has something called "Firm protection" which I think means it protects all the exploitable parts of your 9.0, and lets the rest of the system update to the latest. You will not have 2 nands anymore.

D

Deleted-368796

My understanding of this isn't the best, but Luma has something called "Firm protection" which I think means it protects all the exploitable parts of your 9.0, and lets the rest of the system update to the latest. You will not have 2 nands anymore.

That is what I was afraid of. Not sure I am ready to make that jump yet.
I've had some issues with my sysNAND (even though I never use it), and moving to a system that will run atop that is not giving me a lot of confidence.
Hence why I have avoided messing with it thus far. There are several newer games coming out that I would like to buy. I already know they will not run on my current emuNAND, otherwise I would just stay put. Could care less about online features.

logg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is what I was afraid of. Not sure I am ready to make that jump yet.
I've had some issues with my sysNAND (even though I never use it), and moving to a system that will run atop that is not giving me a lot of confidence.
Hence why I have avoided messing with it thus far. There are several newer games coming out that I would like to buy. I already know they will not run on my current emuNAND, otherwise I would just stay put. Could care less about online features.
Luma also supports emunand if you still like the idea of having 2 nands. Works fine for me though.

Reactions: Misterio
D

Deleted-368796

Luma also supports emunand if you still like the idea of having 2 nands. Works fine for me though.
My fear comes from having to update the sysNAND in the process to get Luma going. I have a bad feeling it's gonna brick.
Let me clarify...
I've had this issue starting way back when I first got my N3DS. Sometimes the sysNAND will not load completely. And almost 90% of the time, it acts as if the cart slot has nothing in it.
Sometimes I can eject the cart and reinsert, then it may show. That and the apps wont load at times.

All this happened around the time that I finally got rei to work. It gave me a fit trying to get it set up. And no, the console has never been downgraded. Bought new with 9.0
To this day, I have no idea what I could have done to make it act like that. On top of that issue, rei fails to boot 40% of the time.
All this makes me nervous to mess with A9LH, updating the sysNAND in the process. If that makes any sense.

logg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My fear comes from having to update the sysNAND in the process to get Luma going. I have a bad feeling it's gonna brick.
Let me clarify...
I've had this issue starting way back when I first got my N3DS. Sometimes the sysNAND will not load completely. And almost 90% of the time, it acts as if the cart slot has nothing in it.
Sometimes I can eject the cart and reinsert, then it may show. That and the apps wont load at times.

All this happened around the time that I finally got rei to work. It gave me a fit trying to get it set up. And no, the console has never been downgraded. Bought new with 9.0
To this day, I have no idea what I could have done to make it act like that. On top of that issue, rei fails to boot 40% of the time.
All this makes me nervous to mess with A9LH, updating the sysNAND in the process. If that makes any sense.

If any of these problems are due to corrupt files in nand (idk how, or what you mean by "will not load completely"), it seems like it would just get better by updating those files with new ones by updating sysnand to 11.2+a9lh. Also Make sure your cart slot is free of peanut butter, and your SD card is legitimate (using h2testw on windows, f3 on macOs or linux). If you have a nand backup from before you installed reinand, use it.

As long as you are good at following instructions, I don't think you'll have any problems.

Last edited by logg,
D

Deleted-368796

If any of these problems are due to corrupt files in nand (idk how, or what you mean by "will not load completely"), it seems like it would just get better by updating those files with new ones by updating sysnand to 11.2+a9lh.

As long as you are good at following instructions, I don't think you'll have any problems.

I could only hope that would be the case. Unfortunately, no emuNAND from before rei. At that time Pasta was the only working hack, and it gave me trouble. I was among the first to give rei a spin. Took a good while to get it to work. My system just did not want to co-operate. Followed everyone's advice to a T.
Never could get rx-tools to run either. My system refused to boot it no matter what we tried.

Thank you for the input. I may give try to move on to A9LH, but I will be sweating bullets the whole time.

I am curious to know if it would be better to use my CubicNinja game to install the exploit or stick with the browser (if it will work). My browser still works, as that was the only way I could get the Gateway loader to run. My N3DS would not load it from ninjhax. Ninjhax will load the Homebrew Loader, or whatever else I tie to it now.
Fear of bricking is pushing me from the browser route. Think I have seen a few recent reports of this happening with inconclusive evidence of the root cause. Yikes

Misterio

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I just have that doubt my friend, I have two consoles one from the USA region and another from region EUR and I would like to play a local network game, example Mario Kart 7, but I get error. I have been seeing in several forums and I only have 2 alternatives. 1. In Luma create another NAND that is region USA and thus play in local network. 2. Another is to change my console region to either EUR or USA. Would there be other options that allow me to play in local network in consoles of different regions?

Last edited by Misterio,

logg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just have that doubt my friend, I have two consoles one from the USA region and another from region EUR and I would like to play a local network game, example Mario Kart 7, but I get error. I have been seeing in several forums and I only have 2 alternatives. 1. In Luma create another NAND that is region USA and thus play in local network. 2. Another is to change my console region to either EUR or USA. Would there be other options that allow me to play in local network in consoles of different regions?
I think those would be your only options. Possibly the game will work if you are currently using the EUR version of the game on your EUR 3DS and the USA version on your USA 3DS and instead switch to just using the same region game on both 3DSes, but if that doesn't work, then region swap is a good idea.

Kalmaro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm new to all of this stuff still. Just got a shiny New N3DS and itching to install Lima but it looks like I need to first get a menu hax or something going, but I'm having trouble finding a guide that explains how to do it. Does anyone know of any?

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm new to all of this stuff still. Just got a shiny New N3DS and itching to install Lima but it looks like I need to first get a menu hax or something going, but I'm having trouble finding a guide that explains how to do it. Does anyone know of any?

Really not the thread to discuss since you haven't even gotten to the Luma installation part, but here: http://ez3ds.xyz/

Trace where you are and it tells you what you need to advance.

Kalmaro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really not the thread to discuss since you haven't even gotten to the Luma installation part, but here: http://ez3ds.xyz/

Trace where you are and it tells you what you need to advance.
This is perfect. I have been trying to follow guides but there are 5,000 of them and trying to keep up was difficult. thanks for the help!
I knew I wasn't at the Luma stage yet but i couldn't figure out where to ask for help.

kopgamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Since it makes another allocation to sd card, it was hard to copy ReiNand to another Sd-card. After I setup Luma and A9lh, can I just copy the contents of the sd-card to another but bigger sdcard and use it? Or do I need another program/installation for that?

thekarter104

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. How do I know which version if Luma3DS I have? I'm using Luma3DS a few days after Mario Party: Star Rush came out.
2. I have a pretty low boot success rate (around 60%), sometimes 3 freezes in a row, is the bootrate improved on a newer version (if any newer versions are available)
3. If going to a new Luma3DS version, is it just drag and drop the newer version on the SD Card, or is there an automated program?

Thanks.

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. How do I know which version if Luma3DS I have? I'm using Luma3DS a few days after Mario Party: Star Rush came out.
2. I have a pretty low boot success rate (around 60%), sometimes 3 freezes in a row, is the bootrate improved on a newer version (if any newer versions are available)
3. If going to a new Luma3DS version, is it just drag and drop the newer version on the SD Card, or is there an automated program?

Thanks.
1. End of version in blue tells u what git pull
2. Get Arm9loader hax for 100% boot rate
3. Starupdater

thekarter104

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. End of version in blue tells u what git pull
2. Get Arm9loader hax for 100% boot rate
3. Starupdater

1. End of version in blue? Seems I don't have the newest version anyways, I'm using it longer than 9 days for sure.
2. Not feeling to A9LH right now, but even rxTools has a 99% bootrate, so it should be possible with Luma3DS.
3. Ok, thanks :)

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another question,
How do i transfer my files from 32gb sd card to 64gb sd card???
  1. Put 32 GB SD card in computer.
  2. Copy all files from the 32 GB SD card to the computer's hard drive.
  3. Remove 32 GB SD card from computer.
  4. Put 64 GB SD card in computer.
  5. Move the copied files from the hard drive to the 64 GB SD card.
  6. Remove 64 GB SD card from computer.
If you happen to have two SD readers, you can simplify this by putting both SD cards in the computer at once and copying directly from the 32 GB card to the 64 GB card.

Last edited by GerbilSoft, , Reason: +"32 GB SD card" in line 2
Reactions: kopgamer

cravas

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Another question,
How do i transfer my files from 32gb sd card to 64gb sd card???

1. Put 32 GB SD card in computer.
  2. Copy all files from the 32 GB SD card to the computer's hard drive.
  3. Remove 32 GB SD card from computer.
  4. Put 64 GB SD card in computer.
  5. Move the copied files from the hard drive to the 64 GB SD card.
  6. Remove 64 GB SD card from computer.
If you happen to have two SD readers, you can simplify this by putting both SD cards in the computer at once and copying directly from the 32 GB card to the 64 GB card.
You forgot 4A: Download guiformat and format 64Gb card with FAT32/32Kb cluster size. (Windows won't do it.

Reactions: GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You forgot 4A: Download guiformat and format 64Gb card with FAT32/32Kb cluster size. (Windows won't do it.
Right, forgot about that. (I use Linux, which doesn't have that silly limitation Microsoft added in Windows 2000.)

EDIT: Also, if you have EmuNAND (or RedNAND), use Hourglass9 to back up the EmuNAND from the 32 GB card first, then use Hourglass9 on the new 64 GB card to create the EmuNAND partition and restore the EmuNAND image.

Last edited by GerbilSoft, , Reason: +RedNAND
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :ohnoes: @NoiseCommander3DS Would you please turn down that noise. I haven't had my COFFEE yet... +1