• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Let's talk about that federal abortion bill

lolcatzuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know it's funny.
Republicans:
"This is a matter of states rights! just leave it up to the states"
Also Republicans:
"BiG GoVeRmEnT BaD."
Also also Republicans:
"We use big government to ban abortions."

So uh what happened to it being a states rights issue. Oh wait... perhaps it never was.
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/09/13/grahams-abortion-ban-senate-gop-00056423

Let's be frank. The GOP is upset that they got the semi quiet part spelled out loud and clear because lately, speaking the quiet part out loud has been the norm. The quiet part?
It was never about states rights, they just want women to not have a choice or rights on the matter.

well, maybe the dems shouldve been a little bit more cooperative with guns, after all, if your guy, mr. 81 million claims no amendment is absolute, then abortion is minor league shit, dont like it? dont have sex, same argument as dont have a gun.

Reactions: TraderPatTX

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
In which case they'd make a change to the party's official policy platform, not some minor performative mental gymnastics on the individual level, and not right before midterms. Graham just didn't get the memo in time.

That's speculative at best and deviates from the original claim that even Politico won't make.

I said I can't be blamed for the two-party system, which remains true. Neither party is representative of working class interests, but only one of them has been actively hostile toward the working class in recent years.

Yeah, and it sounds like an excuse--and now you are making more excuses. I know republicans ARE being met with backlash. That's not news. It's fake news to suggest that this "FEDERAL ABORTION BILL" is the Republican Party banning abortion on a national level.

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You conveniently ignoring that Trump had ties to Epstein. You conveniently ignoring sexual comments about his own daughter and all the very sketchy shit he has done with her. Conveniently leaving out the fact that he already treats women like shit in general, so why would we expect him to treat younger ones normal. The only sign we have that Biden might be a pedophile, is his awkard interactions with kids. Investigate the more likely pedo first, or hell do both.

So in other words, awfully convenient for you to ignore the facts mr tabzer.
What ties to Epstein does Trump have besides being the only person who gave testimony that led to his 2008 arrest and buying a house out from under him? It's amazing how this thread is not even about Trump but you just can't get him off of your mind.

Reactions: zfreeman

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, maybe the dems shouldve been a little bit more cooperative with guns, after all, if your guy, mr. 81 million claims no amendment is absolute, then abortion is minor league shit, dont like it? dont have sex, same argument as dont have a gun.
It also doesn't help that the left keeps advocating for abortion at 9 months, but they can't help their extremism.

Reactions: zfreeman

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty good article on this by a Univ. Tenn. law professor whose blog I read, Glenn Reynolds. Professor Reynolds is very conservative in a libertarian way, same as me. If anything he's much more intensely right-leaning than I am. And what his article says is something Lindsay Graham probably already knows ... it's unconstitutional. Not within the scope of Congress' enumerated powers.

https://nypost.com/2022/09/15/congress-doesnt-have-the-power-to-legislate-on-abortion/

Reactions: Xzi and tabzer

MariArch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
aemon.jpg

This is a child at 15 weeks btw. If people saw what was being killed the vast majority of people would agree that you shouldn't be able to kill it. But of course we hide the truth behind euphemisms and media bullshit.

Reactions: TraderPatTX

omgcat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
aemon.jpg

This is a child at 15 weeks btw. If people saw what was being killed the vast majority of people would agree that you shouldn't be able to kill it. But of course we hide the truth behind euphemisms and media bullshit.
welp get ready to experience a whole new level of hell. most fetal defects can only get checked at 18/20 weeks, and PLENTY of them can make the life of the mothers and child a litteral living hell. just look at the lady who had to fly to NY to abort her skull-less child. sure the mothers life wasn't in danger, but the child has no skull, there is no saving it. there are thousands of other examples and women are going to suffer. OBGYNs are going to start quitting, women are going to go get back ally abortions, and the maternal mortality rate will sky rocket. I can't wait to see the mom who needs to CRUSH HER CHILDS ACTUAL HEAD during childbirth because it has no skull, or they take it out and watch it's head flop until the brain crushes itself under it's own weight anyways. you people are monsters.

Reactions: Xzi

MariArch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
welp get ready to experience a whole new level of hell. most fetal defects can only get checked at 18/20 weeks, and PLENTY of them can make the life of the mothers and child a litteral living hell. just look at the lady who had to fly to NY to abort her skull-less child. sure the mothers life wasn't in danger, but the child has no skull, there is no saving it. there are thousands of other examples and women are going to suffer. OBGYNs are going to start quitting, women are going to go get back ally abortions, and the maternal mortality rate will sky rocket. I can't wait to see the mom who needs to CRUSH HER CHILDS ACTUAL HEAD during childbirth because it has no skull, or they take it out and watch it's head flop until the brain crushes itself under it's own weight anyways. you people are monsters.
Sir. The .1% of cases does not justify the other 99.9%. And anyways, people doing evil stuff illegally doesn't mean we should legalize said evil action. And there's exceptions for stuff like ectopic pregnancy. But of course abortionists can't help but argue in bad faith.

City

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Is it really that much of a controversial idea that you shouldn't have an abortion past the 4th month or something?

Chances of Anencephaly are currently 1 out of 4600. Currently in the US alone there are roughly 10k of newborns and 2.5k abortions every day. You're telling me that 25% of these abortions are due to illness? Get the fuck out of here.

And while I'm here, I want to toss my $0.02 on the argument that men shouldn't comment on these issues because "it doesn't matter to them". Let's pretend for a moment that some women absolutely didn't abort their baby because it dared to grow a penis and let's also pretend that it totally doesn't take a woman AND a man to make a baby. If women would be so kind to shut the fuck up regarding issues that are only related to men, I'll be the first one to do my part and look the other way.

MariArch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Knows it's unconstitutional but doesn't care and pushes for it anyway...Trumpism in a nutshell.
Bruh deadass SCOTUS has ignored the 10th amendment of the constitution to come up with a fake right to abortion and a fake right to same sex marriage 💀. And the democrats talk of packing the Supreme Court on a regular basis. anyone with half a brain knows that’s just so they can bypass the amendment process and green light a whole hell of a lot more stuff that goes against our constitution (ie gun bans). But yeah, conservatives are the ones who don’t care.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Bruh deadass SCOTUS has ignored the 10th amendment of the constitution to come up with a fake right to abortion and a fake right to same sex marriage 💀. And the democrats talk of packing the Supreme Court on a regular basis. anyone with half a brain knows that’s just so they can bypass the amendment process and green light a whole hell of a lot more stuff that goes against our constitution (ie gun bans). But yeah, conservatives are the ones who don’t care.
Expansion of rights is what the constitution was always meant to be used for. Not an authoritarian crackdown on freedoms. Nobody's trying to repeal the second amendment, but there are people trying to tell women that the state gets to determine the extent of control they have over their own bodies.

MariArch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Expansion of rights is what the constitution was always meant to be used for. Not an authoritarian crackdown on freedoms. Nobody's trying to repeal the second amendment, but there are people trying to tell women that the state gets to determine the extent of control they have over their own bodies.
No. Actually the constitution was never meant to be used for that. The constitution lays out very basic fundamental rights that are protected country wide and leaves the rest to be governed on a state by state basis. Hence why it’s so hard to amend the constitution, because it’s meant to stay the same unless the vast majority of states agree to said changes. The whole point of the constitution being so barebones is to not consolidate power from the top down. Using Supreme Court members to do mental gymnastics to come up with rights that weren’t there in the first place is an explicit attempt to bypass our amendment process. Everyone and their mom knows that you wouldn’t have gotten the votes to add right to an abortion or right to gay marriage to the constitution at the time that these decisions were made. Liberal judges just felt the need to shove it down our throats and remove accountability on these issues and many others from the voters on a state level

Last edited by MariArch,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
No. Actually the constitution was never meant to be used for that.
I guess a modern conservative would have to hold that position, but the vast majority of founding fathers would disagree with you. The constitution was always intended to be a living document. It's only since reconstruction and the civil rights movement that a bunch of dickweeds have tried to make it harder to expand the scope of our constitutionally guaranteed rights. Thus it's only since that point that we've begun to creep ever closer toward oligarchy and fascism, which any real American will oppose to their dying breath. Freedom FROM religion is just as important, if not more so than freedom OF religion. Christofascists BTFO.

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
aemon.jpg

How long will that thing survive without the mother? As long as it's not autonomous it should not be placed over the bodily autonomy of the mother, period.

Bodily autonomy for every other person is absolute. If you don't want any part of your body used for any reason by a third party you are allowed to deny it. The government can't force you to donate blood, organs, or anything else to save another person's life, so why are we making an exception for woman and force them to donate their blood, womb, and potential well-being towards a clump of cells?

The uterus belongs to the mother absolutely, not the fetus.

Reactions: sley and Xzi

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It's a dumb argument, to claim that a uterus is not for a baby. If you create a life, it is reasonable to assume responsibility for it. Trying to make absolute laws will never work because they don't accurately reflect nature.

MariArch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess a modern conservative would have to hold that position, but the vast majority of founding fathers would disagree with you. The constitution was always intended to be a living document. It's only since reconstruction and the civil rights movement that a bunch of dickweeds have tried to make it harder to expand the scope of our constitutionally guaranteed rights. Thus it's only since that point that we've begun to creep ever closer toward oligarchy and fascism, which any real American will oppose to their dying breath. Freedom FROM religion is just as important, if not more so than freedom OF religion. Christofascists BTFO.
What are you even talking about? The founding fathers established the constitution whilst taking into consideration the bullshit the consolidation of power to the top that they underwent under the british monarchy. It’s always been the case that you needed a vast majority of the legislator or states in favor to pass an amendment, it’s literally written into the constitution. And anyways, for the longest of time a states constitution superseded the federal constitution, it’s only until the courts again gave power to the top that this has been the norm. And please, explain to me how telling states that they can make their own laws on issues is fascism lmao. Y’all gaslight like no tomorrow.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Giggity
    +1
  • The Catboy @ The Catboy:
    I don't bite! Minus the times when I did bite
  • The Catboy @ The Catboy:
    Like 5 minutes ago
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Billie needs her lunch
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ffs papa brought back the cheeseburger pizza it's like the only decent pie they had since the 80s
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm not a fan of papa johns, but that does sound good. We hardly order out pizza, I like making my own, but when we do its donatoes
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I get them like once every two months anymore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just because it's half a mile from where I live
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Request next time you order, that Shaq deliver it to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I want him to buy me a chain also
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Open it right next to the one we have
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys should i make a new thread and just count the amount of posts until kyle, luke or leo joins the thread for fun?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kyle's fine, just waiting for that wario joke

luke and leo though, they yap until the thread's enjoyability is about halved
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Leo is Luke's alterego when he gets hard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Luke is gone, he got banned. And I'm surprised Leo hasn't yet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Subway was actually pretty decent tonight
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut you get, a seafood and psi salad sub
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Psi had my footlong meatball special
    +1
  • PandaPandel @ PandaPandel:
    i want a meatball sandwich
    now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gay
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Bout time you came out and admitted it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bigonya talks to himself often
    +1
  • btei @ btei:
    papa johns makes me SHIT
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    hello everyone
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    Meatballs.

Lol.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Meatballs. Lol.