Hacking How to fit a 4.5 gb game onto DVD?

denzil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
waninkoko said:
I see there's some confusion about sizes...
And unfortunately you are only adding to the confusion by propagating outdated information:
QUOTE said:
Some applications/vendors consider 1 gb as 1000 mb
... and in doing so are correctly using the SI prefixes.
and others 1 gb as 1024 mb (and this is the correct one).
No. You are thinking of GiB (Gibibytes) and MiB (Mibibytes). The use of GB to mean GiB has been unmistakably deprecated in 1999 by the IEC and subsequently by the ISO.

Stephanie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WOW!!!!!! or should I say WAW!!!!
laugh.gif
Call of Duty: World at War works!!!!!!! Intro movie was smooth and everything. Burned with Nero on +RW. It actually burned!
moogle.gif

I tried a different method this time around and it didn't give me issues. Normally I would just burn the file onto the disc, this time I chose image burn and burned the iso directly and it didn't give me capacity errors or anything!!! Kind of odd, disc info says 0 bytes and that there's nothing on it. Though it works!!!! Through the menu so far the laser started reading the disc non-stop, but now it's calm in the multiplayer menu. We'll see how it turns out during online gaming.

hrth.gif

{edit} spelling

~Steph

SenorClean

Trophies
XP
Country
Yikes....

You need to burn the ISO! Not a data disc with the ISO on it!!! The disc uses a proprietary filesystem for the wii, which is why it looks empty in windows explorer etc - but you should be able to dump/copy using imgburn or similar.

Installing multiple burning engines is a dangerous game. I HIGHLY recommend against it - unless you want to properly trash your ASPI layer. Imgburn is free and will do 99% of your burning needs.

A lot of R&D goes in to developing dyes for discs, and firmware write strategies on drives. Selecting a low speed will revert to a generic strategy undoing that good work. Always burn at rated speed with the latest drive firmware - unless you have a particularly awful disc, which may work better 1 notch down.

As already said, most of your confusion is 1000 vs 1024 rounding - gigabytes vs gibibytes. Also - it's not surprising that an image of a full disc won't fit on a data disc with all that extra overhead.

Mark McDonut

GBATemp's Resident Ghostbuster
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hopefully I can shed some light here,

DVD's of any RW type always have a smaller capacity than a standard R, It allows for rewriting of the disc multiple times, hence the strange size errors and nero informing you that you don;t have enough space on the disc, because you don't. The image you're burning is of a full size optical disc, not one allowing for overhead to be rewritable.

In fact, any kind of RW is shit for anything you plan on archiving long term (or spoofing a game console into thinking it's a real disc for a while, read around these forums you'll find plenty of "MY DVD+/-RW BACKUP STOPPED WORKING AFTER 2 DAYS HELP!!!!1111" topics and you'll see what I mean.) they're meant to be the optical disc equivalent of a floppy to get about 10-15 uses out of then trash, certainly not the high intensity use you;re trying to get out of it. Not to mention it's common fact that some older disc based game consoles needed laser adjustment to read those type of discs as well, which is already enough to make me not want to use that sketchy format.

Anyhow, figured I'd offer my 2 cents so everyone stops trying to figure out if it;s the burner. It's the media and the media sucks, use -R. 20 Successful self backup and burns without any problems. Run of the mill LG dvd burner (not the one that reads wii originals, used Wifi) decent sony -R media bought in a spool from a wholesale store, nothing special, and used IMGBurn.

Good Luck
smile.gif

EDIT: And if you have to use a +r Drive, try setting the booktype to DVD-ROM in IMGBurn.

Stephanie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the tips.
smile.gif
Though I always set it to DVD-Rom for the booktype. And I can fit a game onto disc now by using a different method in Nero, where the method I was using in Nero before didn't work . IMGburn might have worked, but the game that worked with Nero is a different game than when I tried to burn with IMGburn.

{edit} words

~Steph

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: