Homebrew Port of the Recovery Menu?

Jediweirdo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm trying to help some person with their bricked vWii. Their vWii broke even before they modded their system, so they don't have a NAND backup (and can't use vWii NAND Restorer). After them trying light & aggressive mode of vWii decaffinator, it has only made marginal progress (They can now boot to the Health and Safety Screen, but not the Wii Menu itself). I told them to regenerate settings.txt (as this post with a similar problem had done), but that also didn't work.

I'm beginning to think it might be a hardware/corruption problem, but just to be sure, I want to make them run an SLC Corruption Checker Tool (like the one found in this modded version of the recovery menu) and then run a custom decaffinator wipe for those files, but I'm unsure if they have the tools needed to be able to boot into the recovery menu.

However, they are still able to access and run custom Wii U homebrew. So, that brings me to my question: Is there an HBL/Aroma port for the recovery menu, or a way it can launched by using Tiramisu alone? Preferably, I would like them to use the modded recovery menu that I linked above so they can run its SLC checker.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Decaffinator might not have worked cause of the PayloadLoader blocking updates and/or the update folder beeing deleted. Tell your friend to restre the update folder and remove PayloadLoader from coldboot:
https://wiiu.hacks.guide/#/unblock-updates
https://wiiu.hacks.guide/#/uninstall-payloadloader?id=undo-autobooting-into-payloadloader (do NOT follow "Uninstall PayloadLoader", we still want to be able to start a CFW manually).

After that reboot the console, launch health&safety which should start the CFW, then try decaffeinator again. This time it should do a (pseudo) update after the reboot.

Now launch H&S while holding (X), select installer and reinstall the coldboot. Then re-run UFDiine to delete the update folder again.

Beside that you're mixing up a thing:
I want to make them run an SLC Corruption Checker Tool
SLC has nothing to do with vWii, what you mean is SLCCMPT.

Last edited by V10lator,

Jediweirdo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Decaffinator might not have worked cause of the PayloadLoader blocking updates and/or the update folder beeing deleted. Tell your friend to restre the update folder and remove PayloadLoader from coldboot:
I don't think that's the problem because Decaffinator was able to run and update their Wii U (after all, vWii Decafinator did have some marginal success at unbricking their vWii). In case I'm wrong or am misinterpreting something again, I'll still tell them to do this though.

SLC has nothing to do with vWii, what you mean is SLCCMPT.
Dang, I just assumed that since MLC was for the Wii U side, the SLC would be for the vWii Side. What part of the WIi U is SLC and MLC then? I think my thinking here was flawed from the start...

Anyways, are there any homebrew applications out there that can check the SLCCMPT for corruption? In case undoing autoboot still doesn't fix the problem

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The latest version of decaffinator can also regenerate the settings.xml

Can you use the latest version in aggressive mode, but before reinstalling use ftp to take a look if the Slccmpt is truly empty

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I don't think that's the problem because Decaffinator was able to run and update their Wii U (after all, vWii Decafinator did have some marginal success at unbricking their vWii). In case I'm wrong or am misinterpreting something again, I'll still tell them to do this though.

Dang, I just assumed that since MLC was for the Wii U side, the SLC would be for the vWii Side. What part of the WIi U is SLC and MLC then? I think my thinking here was flawed from the start...

Anyways, are there any homebrew applications out there that can check the SLCCMPT for corruption? In case undoing autoboot still doesn't fix the problem
The SLC is dual 512MB, half is for vWii and half is for Wii U (stores firmware I believe), the MLC is for Wii U only and stores user data (might also store parts of the firmware, IDK)

Jediweirdo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The latest version of decaffinator can also regenerate the settings.xml

Can you use the latest version in aggressive mode, but before reinstalling use ftp to take a look if the Slccmpt is truly empty
Yep, I've already told them to try regenerating settings.xml (I think I spelled it wrong in the og post lol) and they tried that alongside light and aggressive mode it it didn't work
The slccmpt probably isn't empty, as like I said in my OG post, they were able to get to the health and safety screen thanks to aggressive mode instead of it immediately crashing (which makes me assume that there is at least something there).
The SLC is dual 512MB, half is for vWii and half is for Wii U (stores firmware I believe), the MLC is for Wii U only and stores user data (might also store parts of the firmware, IDK)
Nice! Thanks for that. Is there a way to tell when the Wii U firmware info ends and the vWii information starts? Although this would all be useless if there isn't a way for them to scan them for missing/corrupted files...

small edits for clarification/rephrasing

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The slccmpt probably isn't empty, as like I said in my OG post, they were able to get to the health and safety screen thanks to aggressive mode instead of it immediately crashing
I assumed they did the update to install all the vWii titles again. I meant just running the cleaning from decaffinator and before reinstalling the vWii titles through the update use ftp to check if the cleaning worked.

Else we could also try to format slccmpt, but I would try that on my Wii U first
Post automatically merged:

Nice! Thanks for that. Is there a way to tell when the Wii U firmware info ends and the vWii information starts?
It's two completle different devices to the Wii U. You will see one as slc, that's the Wii U one and a slccmpt that's the vWii one

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto