ROM Hack [GB(C)] Injection with the New Generation of VC

Deleted member 370283

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's something a bit weird/exciting.
Upon injecting Crystal and selecting NEW GAME, the game bugs out and reboots, except it is in Gameboy mode. I know this only because it spits out the "Only compatible with Gameboy Color" message.
What's so special?

It uses Gameboy Color BIOS colors! Not the standard greyish brown color, but one of the random colors that can be used upon holding buttons on the keypad.
Could this be something big?

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is a stupid reason Nintendo released the game without SGB support, it must be because Red, Green, and Yellow (which is why Japan got screwed with greyscale Yellow for VC) came out before the Gameboy Color. Since the VC releases are for the 20th Anniversary of the release in Japan, they decided to force greyscale upon everyone, even these who grew up playing Red and Blue on a GBC with SGB colors.

Edit:
without a full color mod with gen 2 sprites, the VC version cannot even compare to playing Red Full Color gen2 on my drag N' derp (in my pokemon red cart shell) on a GBA with backlit screen.

Best part about the Drag N' Derp, it uses FRAM, which is great as my copy of red has corrupted sprites as the FRAM mod does not work right with the MBC3 in red. The FRAM mod was successful in my copy of Yellow as the MBC5 works properly with FRAM.

Last edited by driverdis,

Deleted member 370283

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Upon closer inspection, the screen uses LEFTOVER SUPER GAMEBOY PALETTES from Pokemon Gold/Silver.
This just gets better and better.

I can't take a screenshot of the screen on VC, but here's an image from tcrf.net that shows what it looks like:
Pokemon_Crystal_Unused_SGB_Palette_B6_5C.png

EDIT: Besides being sideways, I hope this picture of my screen suffices.
xGoWuzV.jpg

Last edited by Deleted member 370283,

Sachka

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Not so. Pokemon Red/Blue/Green have no native Gameboy Color support.
If you change the value to force it to be a Gameboy Color exclusive game, it boots to completely white (though the game still works).
So you are saying it is not possible to have a 4 color palette enabled for those games in any way?

kohu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you are saying it is not possible to have a 4 color palette enabled for those games in any way?
Naw there is a way. It just might take some work. If you are able to look at the dmg color modes of the config. Ini in the rom fs you might be able to force your own pallets there by specifying the colors. I haven't testeded it myself so it's a bit of speculation and won't be able to try it until later today.

specht

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Excuse me if this is a dumb question, but is there a way to change the pallet with this like when you press buttons on the GBC boot screen with an original GB game? IIRC R/B/G automagically used their respective palette on the original GBC hardware. SGB pallets were built into the SGB cartridge and Pokemon Stadium emulators.

Or is that what you guys are talking about.

Edit: nevermind I see that's where you're at with the Crystal 'not a gbc' screen.

Edit2: For fun, I tried to edit the DMG_COLOR values in config.ini. It does change the colors. Anyone know the 5-bit RGB values of the GBC's built-in palettes?

Last edited by specht,

specht

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Cool glad to know my suspicions were correct with the handling of colors at that level. I can't seem to find documentation on the exact colors but you might be able to use http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/616/ to view the codes on the built in pallets themselves.

Thanks, from there I was able to find some values that looked alright digging through the red rom.

I looked more into the actual values and the GBC appears to use 3 separate DMG palettes for the background and foreground objects as far as I can tell. Doesn't look like the VC emulator has that in mind for DMG games.
https://tcrf.net/Game_Boy_Color_Bootstrap_ROM

Ideally, Pokemon Red would be the A+Up configuration.

Last edited by specht,

Deleted member 370283

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just so you know, the palette editing IS handy, but ideally, you can only edit a single palette line for the whole monochrome game.
If you truly want to initialize and force colors, as mentioned before, Mode4 in the patches can apparently initialize palettes. Perhaps that is our key!
For now, Im just messing around with the SGB colors, trying to see if there's any way to force it in Pokemon Red/Blue.

We'll probably need to write a small ROM that boots into GBC mode, and from there, once the emu is loaded, switch the ROM to a normal GB one.
Only experimentation will tell.

Reactions: specht

Deleted member 370283

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, I'd like to clarify a bit, as I seem to have jumped the gun.
Pokemon Crystal, for some reason, has the exact unused palette loaded into the first palette slot on the NEW GAME screen.
Therefore, when the game glitches out and resets into GB mode while in the GBC emulator, it's obviously going to color the game using what is in RAM (as no palettes in GB mode need to be initialized).

So, progress, kind of, but not as big as I thought. Sorry guys! Taking a look at patching now.

vree

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I gues that is the effect you used to get when putting the game into a gameboy color?

Nice going hope this brings us closer to full color mod.

Deleted member 370283

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I mean, if you want the quick and easy way to play one palette, just change the colors within config.ini to match one of the Super Gameboy palettes (theyre in the exact same 5bit format)

For what I'm doing, it's not simple at all. I'm probably going to end up just releasing this as a huge project. For now, just bear with me as I fumble around with the games. I'm doing my best to make color happen!

Now, to actually answer your question, you force Pokemon Red/Blue/Green into GBC mode through the header. I made it a GBC only game.
Then, when you boot the game up, it will be completely white. This is because no palettes are initialized. THAT is where the patches come in handy.
So far I have found no VIABLE way to use colorization from the GBC bios. I could probably just do that with patches as well, but we'll see. Don't get too anxious.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: anyone