Hacking DSTWO EOS v1.03 will be available soon

solarpolitiks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm actually happy about the text list option. That's how I have been displaying my games since I used my AK2i just because I always felt it looked cleaner.

redrabit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
PharaohsVizier said:
This argument has gone on ever since the Supercard DS TWO was released and spans multiple topics, are you sure you really want to get into it? There are people that will argue on both sides, and pretty much the threads eventually die because it got repetitive or it got closed. There is no point in arguing, what's done is done.

Yes you are right, I have read them before and stayed out of it. I know "impatient" people can be annoying, everything takes time to do. There is no getting around that.

What I object to is when people who voice a legitimate concern such as wanting deadlines rather than "soon" being shot down as some impatient ignorant whiny ungrateful people.

Even deadlines can be pushed back, but at least then we would have room to ask why or what happened.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
CannonFoddr said:
Am I guessing that's a way to change the 'DS_game' title to something else ??Yes.
QUOTE(CannonFoddr @ Jun 28 2010, 11:46 AM) so what's wrong with a HEX editor ??
What's wrong with keeping your food cool in an ice chest instead of a fridge?
What's wrong with using a hand saw to cut down a tree instead of a chainsaw?
What's wrong with needing to use NDISwrapper instead of having your wireless drivers supported natively in linux?

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
coattails said:
DeltaBurnt said:
DiscostewSM said:
Don't get me wrong. I'm grateful for the work they put into it thus far, and for the things to come. I wasn't expecting the card to be released when it did. Heck, the card got my doorstep earlier than expected (though that is mail-related, but still).

Perhaps I have been on the impatient side. We all do at some point, and my time came around recently. We waited this long. What's a few more weeks gonna do?

(I'm in a happier mood right now. Just played Kid Icarus [NES])

One thing I am hoping gets resolved (probably after 1.03) is the issue where you can't get into the in-game menu for some NDS games at certain times during gameplay.

I think that'd be quite hard to configure. Every game has multiple short points that are like that, and fixing every single one of those would be very lengthy. Plus I think that only happens during like cinematics.

It usually happens in parts of games that are touch screen exclusive or where buttons have no function. It's not the in-game menu that's broken, it's actually the hotkeys that are used. There are some spots in games where hotkeyed buttons don't register because they have no function during that part of the game. If you changed your in-game menu hotkey to just one button like A, then usually the menu will pop up unless its a touchscreen exclusive game/or A serves no function at that segment of the game.

Hmm...I never noticed that.

Well they'll have no way of knowing that this a problem unless you contact them about it.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
DeltaBurnt said:
coattails said:
DeltaBurnt said:
DiscostewSM said:
Don't get me wrong. I'm grateful for the work they put into it thus far, and for the things to come. I wasn't expecting the card to be released when it did. Heck, the card got my doorstep earlier than expected (though that is mail-related, but still).

Perhaps I have been on the impatient side. We all do at some point, and my time came around recently. We waited this long. What's a few more weeks gonna do?

(I'm in a happier mood right now. Just played Kid Icarus [NES])

One thing I am hoping gets resolved (probably after 1.03) is the issue where you can't get into the in-game menu for some NDS games at certain times during gameplay.

I think that'd be quite hard to configure. Every game has multiple short points that are like that, and fixing every single one of those would be very lengthy. Plus I think that only happens during like cinematics.

It usually happens in parts of games that are touch screen exclusive or where buttons have no function. It's not the in-game menu that's broken, it's actually the hotkeys that are used. There are some spots in games where hotkeyed buttons don't register because they have no function during that part of the game. If you changed your in-game menu hotkey to just one button like A, then usually the menu will pop up unless its a touchscreen exclusive game/or A serves no function at that segment of the game.

Hmm...I never noticed that.

Well they'll have no way of knowing that this a problem unless you contact them about it.

The only time I've seen it not respond was in Bowser's Inside Story. Outside of battles and menus, it would not work (pretty much any place you walk around). I had set it to a single individual button that I knew was required in those parts of the game, but it still didn't load the in-game menu. Guess I'll have to send the team a note about that.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe the DS disables buttons during some gameplay as Delta has mentioned. The only two ways to fix this would be disable the game from disabling the buttons (which may cause unexpected problems, not the route to go through) or some combination of touch screen which once again may cause problems if not worked right.

Since the SCDS 2 uses an address editor like cheating, maybe there are some addresses that control disabling the DS controls (1 to enable button controls, 0 to disable it) anyone want to try searching for it?

What you would have to do is real time save before a scene where this happens, unfortunately accessing the free cheat screen will be a problem, but if you can manage it, search for 0 during the scene, search for 1 after the scene, load real time save and repeat. Eventually you can use some other techniques to narrow down the result and ultimately find the DS control box. What may be a bit more challenging is the disable DS control functions may be a bit more complicated then 0 and 1. It may be 0 and 2 or even mutli levels of DS disable 0, 1, 2, ...

It may or may not be a different address for different games, however, it will be a step forward for fixing the problem. Maybe it's a universal address assigned for the DS to keep developing consistent? This freaking question...

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Zetta_x said:
Maybe the DS disables buttons during some gameplay as Delta has mentioned.

Setting the Hotkeys to just the B button (the same that let's Luigi jump or use a certain move) triggers the action in the game, but not the in-game menu.

You (and Delta) may be on to something though. With homebrew on the DS, there are two ways to interact with button pressed. Either by reading the memory register that holds which buttons are (or are not) pressed, or by setting up interrupts for the buttons, and when a button is pressed, an interrupt occurs. Most homebrew use the former method, while as far as I know, most commercial games use both, of which reads the memory register of the button presses after a button interrupt happens. Bowser's Inside Story may be one of those exceptions (maybe for dealing with piracy) by doing it differently in some cases.

This is all an assumption of course.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, in order to go about figuring something like this, we have a huge amount of possibilities and given we weren't the actual developers we can only make assumptions
frown.gif

In the case of memory register, do you think certain games freeze that value at a specific null value (where no buttons are pushed, I am assuming 0) or do you think that they have a command that just disables the operability of buttons?

I'm assuming, the EOS is set up in a way where they insert some coding such that when the memory register for the buttons hits a specific value, it would execute the command of the EOS screen. If games freeze the command button memory register at 0, the value to execute the EOS screen command could never be hit thus cannot execute the screen. In the case of the bowsers inside story, maybe the game is structured to give precedence to allow Luigi to jump rather then maybe used to cancel a certain menu. If the B button may have multiple effects, Nintendo may have set up a precedence operation that is greater then that of the EOS.

In phantom hour glass, they have a button hack that maps the direction pad to the touch screen. From this observation, we can see that the touch pad is probably divided up into a grid like form and when a certain arbitrary size square is pressed, a new memory (separate from buttons) is registered. By theory, it would be possible to allow the EOS screen to be opened by the touch screen bypassing any methods certain game developers may use to disable buttons.

In the case of when an interrupt occurs, the EOS may need a new module of coding to be able to get parts of the game that relies on this type of input.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Rydian said:
Nollog said:
They publish a changelog before making the changes to keep customers happy?
That's a stupid way to go about software.Newsflash: Coding a feature can take days or weeks, whereas typing the name of it takes only few seconds.

QUOTE(Nollog @ Jun 27 2010, 07:51 PM) Failing that - which they did, all they need to do is give a date for at least one of those features, and keep their customers up to date on progress rather than publish a changelog a few weeks before those changes are ready, changes that do nothing about the broken promises.
They've kept multiple promises of theirs, they can't have everything perfect at launch (for such a complex device), and have been slowly releasing the features that weren't in the original firmware (because they weren't ready).

Please don't try to tell a team that's doing this how hard you think it is when you've never done it yourself.
You're like that guy in the mechanic's place complaining about how long it's taking when you've never actually built a car, just driven one.
Why are you defending them so much?

Yea I know how long programming takes, because I am a programmer. I write changelogs after I write the feature in code, like every single person I've ever talked with in the industry.

Yes they can have all the features ready at launch just like every single company in the history of the world and electronics.
You don't release a product which isn't ready and doesn't meet the claims you made when you announced it.
It's normal for a company to add additional features over time, but not to release an unfinished product, then add the features that they claimed were on it from the start. It's a case of biting off more than they could chew.
Can you please not defend a company just because you bought their product?

If they had stuck to the iplayer's spec, they could have copied over the player from there, but so they could make more money, they changed the cpu chip so people with iplayer's couldn't use the dstwo os on it.
That is, assuming they're the same company who put out the iplayer, which the rumour-mill suggests.
Even if that's not the case, they stole the gba player and improved on it, so they could easily steal the media player and improve on that too.

Those last two sentences are funny.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker.