Do you believe in aliens?

• Total voters

bazamuffin

RESIDENT HATER OF POLITICAL POSTING WANKSTAINS
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Do I believe in "UFO's"? No. Do I believe in "aliens"? Yes. It would be an awful waste of space if the universe is as vast as we claim, and we are the only inhabitants. It actually makes me sad to think that. I think other beings do exist, somewhere out there. We have found several planets that are within "The Goldilocks Belt", so there's every chance that there are beings with similar respiratory systems to ours. Whether or not they would resemble humans is another matter. I don't think that these beings have mastered space travel yet. The UFO's we see and read about are elaborate hoaxes in my opinion

DragorianSword

GBAtemp's #1 Gunter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Is anyone here familiar with the Fermi paradox? Basically it states that the universe is so big and old and weird that statistically there should be intelligent life out there somewhere, but if there were we should have observed signs that we are not alone or made contact with them by now. We should be able to see structures or ships or some indicators that someone else is out there, but clearly we haven't. Kind of a bummer theory, really.

Yeah, but the Fermi Paradox doesn't take into account the chance that out of that life there grows intelligent life.
This is a factor that we don't know about.
I mean we can look at planets and say how big the chance is that they contain lifeforms, but we don't know how big the chance is that it will evolve/evolved into something higly intelligent.
The fact that we haven't observed spaceships and satellite-like structures tells me that this chance is incredibly low.

Look at us, this is what had to happen to 'create' us:
- A planet not too far from the sun and not too close to it
- An atmosphere had to be created (by the fumes of the vulcano's but I don't want to get too technical)
- The Earth cooled down and due to the atmosphere it started raining and created seas (water is critical!)
- Simple organisms formed in the seas that filtered the toxic fumes that were filling the atmosphere.
- Vegetations started growing, and only then complex lifeforms came into existence.
- Something terrible happened and wiped out the dinosaurs. We don't know for certain what it was, probably a meteor and climate change.
- Some primate-like beings started making tools and walked on 2 legs
- During the ice age the ones in the cold parts got wiped out. Only the ones in the hot parts of the world survived.
- The ones that survived started to further expand their logic and thinking areas, eventually leading too us.

Did I express enough what lucky bastards we are? :)

Reactions: 1 person

pyromaniac123

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
Trophies
XP
Country
Aliens have visited earth before but then they saw jersey shore and thought "Nah fuck this, we're out of here"

Reactions: 3 people
S

SixSenseEagle

When it comes to the Pyramids I subscribe to the theory that they are built very weird, and in accordance to the book of the dead (I have some pictures of it when it was on display at a museum near me why they call it a book.... it's actually a giant scroll like 16 feet long or something.) the entire structure is designed to aid the "God King" ascend into heaven or the after life what ever you want to call it. That is why it's laid out so weird, alignment to the stars and all that. The time to build thing? Easy enough to explain, we waste vast amounts of time on modern construction doing things like safety and weekend.... Remove weekends alone and something that would take 12 years suddenly drops to under 10.
That's interesting, I had never heard about the ascension theory. It certainly is a good explanation, probably better than "aliens did it" :)

As far as the build time, I agree that getting rid of such silly trifles as "time off" and "safety precautions" and "workers' rights" would minimize construction time considerably, but some of the stones used in the pyramid's construction weighed upwards of five tons. First of all, cutting the stones like that is architecturally illogical (unless that too was prescribed in the Book of the Dead I suppose). And I've heard the accepted explanations for how they moved the stones but I'm sorry, I can't believe that they would be able to build the pyramids in 10-20 years using ropes and pulleys and wooden scaffolding to move 5-10 ton stone blocks. They may have been able to build the pyramids that way but I think it would take a hell of a lot longer. Just my uneducated opinion, mind.

Here's just one article I came across after a minute on Google. It's a very interesting read.

...For centuries, people have theorized how the great pyramids were built. Some have suggested that they must have been constructed by extraterrestrials, while others believe the Egyptians possessed a technology that has been lost through the ages.

But the process of building pyramids, while complicated, was not as colossal an undertaking as many of us believe, Redford says. Estimates suggest that between 20,000 and 30,000 laborers were needed to build the Great Pyramid at Giza in less than 23 years. By comparison, Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris took almost 200 years to complete.

According to Redford, pharaohs traditionally began building their pyramids as soon as they took the throne. The pharaoh would first establish a committee composed of an overseer of construction, a chief engineer and an architect. The pyramids were usually placed on the western side of the Nile because the pharaoh's soul was meant to join with the sun disc during its descent before continuing with the sun in its eternal round. Added Redford, the two deciding factors when choosing a building site were its orientation to the western horizon where the sun set and the proximity to Memphis, the central city of ancient Egypt.

The cores of the pyramids were often composed of local limestone, said Redford. Finer quality limestone composed the outer layer of the pyramids, giving them a white sheen that could be seen from miles away. The capstone was usually made of granite, basalt, or another very hard stone and could be plated with gold, silver or electrum, an alloy of gold and silver, and would also be highly reflective in the bright sun.

Said Redford, the image most people have of slaves being forced to build the pyramids against their will is incorrect. "The concept of slavery is a very complicated problem in ancient Egypt," he noted, "because the legal aspects of indentured servitude and slavery were very complicated." The peasants who worked on the pyramids were given tax breaks and were taken to 'pyramid cities' where they were given shelter, food and clothing, he noted.

According to Redford, ancient Egyptian quarrying methods -- the processes for cutting and removing stone -- are still being studied. Scholars have found evidence that copper chisels were using for quarrying sandstone and limestone, for example, but harder stones such as granite and diorite would have required stronger materials, said Redford. Dolerite, a hard, black igneous rock, was used in the quarries of Aswan to remove granite.

During excavation, massive dolerite "pounders" were used to pulverize the stone around the edge of the granite block that needed to be extracted. According to Redford, 60 to 70 men would pound out the stone. At the bottom, they rammed wooden pegs into slots they had cut, and filled the slots with water. The pegs would expand, splitting the stone, and the block was then slid down onto a waiting boat.

Teams of oxen or manpower were used to drag the stones on a prepared slipway that was lubricated with oil. Said Redford, a scene from a 19th century B.C. tomb in Middle Egypt depicts "an alabaster statue 20 feet high pulled by 173 men on four ropes with a man lubricating the slipway as the pulling went on."

Once the stones were at the construction site, ramps were built to get them into place on the pyramid, said Redford. These ramps were made of mud brick and coated with chips of plaster to harden the surface. "If they consistently raised the ramp course by course as the teams dragged their blocks up, they could have gotten them into place fairly easily," he noted. At least one such ramp still exists, he said.

When answering to skepticism about how such heavy stones could have been moved without machinery, Redford says, "I usually show the skeptic a picture of 20 of my workers at an archaeological dig site pulling up a two-and-a-half ton granite block." He added, "I know it's possible because I was on the ropes too."

TL;DR: It was a massive undertaking, sure, but it was still well within the realm of possibility for the Egyptians.
You're right, that was an interesting read. I'm still slightly skeptical but that article answered most of the questions I had. Thanks for sharing!
Thank you for this thread so I admit I was probably wrong because it haven't been confirmed, and I believe it now, since its from a philanthropist, and for everyone said that I said alien made the pyramids I meant aliens help Egyptian make the pyramids I'm sorry if everybody got confused from all the post that I made It happens,and I didn't look over my post yet if i made any mistakes I'm about to check now, but I was Just stating my opinion I didn't mean it to go that far my bad :(

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Did any of you people go to Jupiter, Mars, or any other planet except Planet Earth, to find out?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
(i hope you know, that is a joke)

pyromaniac123

Trophies
XP
Country
When it comes to the Pyramids I subscribe to the theory that they are built very weird, and in accordance to the book of the dead (I have some pictures of it when it was on display at a museum near me why they call it a book.... it's actually a giant scroll like 16 feet long or something.) the entire structure is designed to aid the "God King" ascend into heaven or the after life what ever you want to call it. That is why it's laid out so weird, alignment to the stars and all that. The time to build thing? Easy enough to explain, we waste vast amounts of time on modern construction doing things like safety and weekend.... Remove weekends alone and something that would take 12 years suddenly drops to under 10.
That's interesting, I had never heard about the ascension theory. It certainly is a good explanation, probably better than "aliens did it" :)

As far as the build time, I agree that getting rid of such silly trifles as "time off" and "safety precautions" and "workers' rights" would minimize construction time considerably, but some of the stones used in the pyramid's construction weighed upwards of five tons. First of all, cutting the stones like that is architecturally illogical (unless that too was prescribed in the Book of the Dead I suppose). And I've heard the accepted explanations for how they moved the stones but I'm sorry, I can't believe that they would be able to build the pyramids in 10-20 years using ropes and pulleys and wooden scaffolding to move 5-10 ton stone blocks. They may have been able to build the pyramids that way but I think it would take a hell of a lot longer. Just my uneducated opinion, mind.

Here's just one article I came across after a minute on Google. It's a very interesting read.

...For centuries, people have theorized how the great pyramids were built. Some have suggested that they must have been constructed by extraterrestrials, while others believe the Egyptians possessed a technology that has been lost through the ages.

But the process of building pyramids, while complicated, was not as colossal an undertaking as many of us believe, Redford says. Estimates suggest that between 20,000 and 30,000 laborers were needed to build the Great Pyramid at Giza in less than 23 years. By comparison, Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris took almost 200 years to complete.

According to Redford, pharaohs traditionally began building their pyramids as soon as they took the throne. The pharaoh would first establish a committee composed of an overseer of construction, a chief engineer and an architect. The pyramids were usually placed on the western side of the Nile because the pharaoh's soul was meant to join with the sun disc during its descent before continuing with the sun in its eternal round. Added Redford, the two deciding factors when choosing a building site were its orientation to the western horizon where the sun set and the proximity to Memphis, the central city of ancient Egypt.

The cores of the pyramids were often composed of local limestone, said Redford. Finer quality limestone composed the outer layer of the pyramids, giving them a white sheen that could be seen from miles away. The capstone was usually made of granite, basalt, or another very hard stone and could be plated with gold, silver or electrum, an alloy of gold and silver, and would also be highly reflective in the bright sun.

Said Redford, the image most people have of slaves being forced to build the pyramids against their will is incorrect. "The concept of slavery is a very complicated problem in ancient Egypt," he noted, "because the legal aspects of indentured servitude and slavery were very complicated." The peasants who worked on the pyramids were given tax breaks and were taken to 'pyramid cities' where they were given shelter, food and clothing, he noted.

According to Redford, ancient Egyptian quarrying methods -- the processes for cutting and removing stone -- are still being studied. Scholars have found evidence that copper chisels were using for quarrying sandstone and limestone, for example, but harder stones such as granite and diorite would have required stronger materials, said Redford. Dolerite, a hard, black igneous rock, was used in the quarries of Aswan to remove granite.

During excavation, massive dolerite "pounders" were used to pulverize the stone around the edge of the granite block that needed to be extracted. According to Redford, 60 to 70 men would pound out the stone. At the bottom, they rammed wooden pegs into slots they had cut, and filled the slots with water. The pegs would expand, splitting the stone, and the block was then slid down onto a waiting boat.

Teams of oxen or manpower were used to drag the stones on a prepared slipway that was lubricated with oil. Said Redford, a scene from a 19th century B.C. tomb in Middle Egypt depicts "an alabaster statue 20 feet high pulled by 173 men on four ropes with a man lubricating the slipway as the pulling went on."

Once the stones were at the construction site, ramps were built to get them into place on the pyramid, said Redford. These ramps were made of mud brick and coated with chips of plaster to harden the surface. "If they consistently raised the ramp course by course as the teams dragged their blocks up, they could have gotten them into place fairly easily," he noted. At least one such ramp still exists, he said.

When answering to skepticism about how such heavy stones could have been moved without machinery, Redford says, "I usually show the skeptic a picture of 20 of my workers at an archaeological dig site pulling up a two-and-a-half ton granite block." He added, "I know it's possible because I was on the ropes too."

TL;DR: It was a massive undertaking, sure, but it was still well within the realm of possibility for the Egyptians.
You're right, that was an interesting read. I'm still slightly skeptical but that article answered most of the questions I had. Thanks for sharing!
Thank you for this thread so I admit I was probably wrong because it haven't been confirmed, and I believe it now, since its from a philanthropist, and for everyone said that I said alien made the pyramids I meant aliens help Egyptian make the pyramids I'm sorry if everybody got confused from all the post that I made It happens,and I didn't look over my post yet if i made any mistakes I'm about to check now, but I was Just stating my opinion I didn't mean it to go that far my bad :(

So one person said something and you believed it? Do you believe everything you are told?

S

SixSenseEagle

So one person said something and you believed it? Do you believe everything you are told?
I said until I hear from a sciencetist or a philanthropist I will believe since its not from nobody around here in this post.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
As far as the U.F.O dispute is concerned, it stands for Unidentified Flying Object and it's just that - a flying object that's not identified (yet).

As for the theories about aliens helping people build the pyramids or anything of the sort, I like how some people are keen to attribute the greatest accomplishments of ancient civilizations to aliens or supernatural powers just because they're amazing rather than admiring the inginuity of our ancestors.

Do extra-terrestrials exist? Surely, there's no doubt about it, but I sincerely doubt that they'll hop in for a cup of tea anytime soon. If they had the technology to fly from one planet, or even galaxy, to the other, I think it's safe to assume that we'd notice them by now and they'd likely conquer our civilization rather quickly to seize the planet for its resources.

When people think about aliens, they usually think about these green or grey-skinned fellows with big heads and black eyes. I know it's more exciting to think that our "First Contact" will be with a humanoid, sentient race but why do we assume that a creature which evolved on a completely different planet with a completely different environment would be anything like us? It's more likely that we'll find extra-terrestrial germs first.

Reactions: 2 people

pyromaniac123

Trophies
XP
Country

I said until I hear from a sciencetist or a philanthropist I will believe since its not from nobody around here in this post.

The wording of the sentence suggested you believed it because a philanthropist said it.

S

SixSenseEagle

The wording of the sentence suggested you believed it because a philanthropist said it.
sciencetist or philanthropist sometimes I make an error in my post my bad.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep, I think we have some form of impersonal contact, not sure whos making it and all that. I also dont think it happened waaaayyy back in the ancient days, I mean to say "How did the Egyptians learn to farm by a river" is like asking "How did people learn how to make computers" or "how did we develop vaccines or penicillin" and I think we can all agree that more likely then not, aliens had nothing to do with that. I think they are more modern due to the recent burst we have in technology from about the 1995s to 2007 or 08. We pretty much leaped a ridiculous amount forward in that time and it was seem less. Hell, heres a gamers example. Look at the PS1 which launched a bit earlier then 1995. Then look at the PS2. HUGE difference. Now look at the PS3. It was a MASSIVE change and forwarding in tech that occurred in what? 10 or so years? Now its sort of calmed down, I mean Smartphones may be big but they are still pretty much PDAs and Pocket PCs that we were seeing back in 2000. I dont know but what I think is that some time near the end of the 70s or early 80s we either made contact, or some crashed or landed or whatever. And we either were taught or we learned ourselves. But either way, it would seem that tech has gone from this

mobilefirst_5.jpg

To this

220px-IPhone_4S_No_shadow.png

In less time then it took for us to go from Steam engines to internal combustion.

But thats just my opinion.

KinGamer7

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, I believe in UFOs. I also believe in aliens. 99% of the cases out there are just trash, but reading about and seeing photos of The Phoenix Lights or hearing the radio transmission for The Valentich Disappearance (as a couple of examples from the top of my head) does leave a very prominent trace of curiosity on me. There are even pieces of art that feature UFOs that look completely out of place, ie. Domenico Ghirlandaio's Madonna with Saint Giovannino (notice how the guy in the bottom right is looking directly at it):

UFObirth2.jpg

Alex221

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do extra-terrestrials exist? Surely,If they had the technology to fly from one planet, or even galaxy, to the other, I think it's safe to assume that we'd notice them by now and they'd likely conquer our civilization rather quickly to seize the planet for its resources.
Maybe they don't require our resources to live and that's why they haven't invaded us,don't assume that they need our simple resources. And we have noticed them by now,some people are just too ignorant to believe... Why don't they allow us to go into area 51? What are they trying to hide? Why is there a 6 mile runway? Maybe to test alien spacecraft and what not. How do you explain roswell new mexico and the government lying and changing the story of what they found about 3 times already?

AudibleAdvent

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I believe there real, since the aliens helped the egyptians build the pyramids from top to bottom I think or the other way around, I got that off the history channel :).
Anything you hear on The History Channel can automatically be dismissed as a load of baloney. Everything I've seen on there is nothing but hypothetical bs. Case in point, their stupid "2012" documentary.

Reactions: 2 people

kupo3000

Trophies
XP
Country
I believe there real, since the aliens helped the egyptians build the pyramids from top to bottom I think or the other way around, I got that off the history channel :).
Anything you hear on The History Channel can automatically be dismissed as a load of baloney. Everything I've seen on there is nothing but hypothetical bs. Case in point, their stupid "2012" documentary.

I think SixSenseEagle was just being sarcastic. :creep:

Alex221

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I think SixSenseEagle was just being sarcastic. :creep:
He's not,he firmly believes in what he says lol but so do i

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do extra-terrestrials exist? Surely,If they had the technology to fly from one planet, or even galaxy, to the other, I think it's safe to assume that we'd notice them by now and they'd likely conquer our civilization rather quickly to seize the planet for its resources.
Maybe they don't require our resources to live and that's why they haven't invaded us,don't assume that they need our simple resources. And we have noticed them by now,some people are just too ignorant to believe... Why don't they allow us to go into area 51? What are they trying to hide? Why is there a 6 mile runway? Maybe to test alien spacecraft and what not. How do you explain roswell new mexico and the government lying and changing the story of what they found about 3 times already?

I agree about the resources 100% if a civilization has advanced to the point of even interstellar travel, they can manage to turn an asteroid into steak or water or what ever they desire.

Area 51 might have alien tech, but I doubt it to be honest. It's just too visible, any testing of alien tech would be completely underground so as to avoid the Chinese or Russian's from using spy sats to grab pictures or possibly readings. The 6 mile long run way is needed for Aurora to land and take off from.... thats the replacement plane for the SR-71.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurora_(aircraft)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: do you have a modded ps4