Homebrew Did I accidentally brick my wii u?

MeAndHax

Impolite person with some modding knowledge.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
http://www.wiiubru.com/rip/ you join the shortlist of ppl that cannot RTFS
He owns the list/Hey pwsincd add RareKirby xD

But how did you exactly brick your Wii Us? And do you have NAND backups of both of them?
How I need evidence, also Why aren't I on the list? I broke 2 Wii Us lol
I can't exactly tell you the procedure, because I simply don't have enough knowledge, but I'm pretty sure others can help you out in hardmodding

Btw I can understand that you bricked one device, but why 2??? Did you do exactly the same mistake or what? xD

What guide did you use/ please don't tell me a YouTube video from an Indian guy

Last edited by MeAndHax,

RareKirby

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He owns the list/Hey pwsincd add RareKirby xD

But how did you exactly brick your Wii Us? And do you have NAND backups of both of them?

I can't exactly tell you the procedure, because I simply don't have enough knowledge, but I'm pretty sure others can help you out in hardmodding

Btw I can understand that you bricked one device, but why 2??? Did you do exactly the same mistake or what? xD

What guide did you use/ please don't tell me a YouTube video from an Indian guy

My first Wii U (which I bought using Youtube money uvu) was bought near launch date. Modding wasn't big back then. I just had Usb Loader on vwii. One game crashed and i thought ''eh it happens.'' But it broke my Wii u. Error code 160 1400. rip 2015 just got nintendont. Got a new Wii U free from a friend and it was outdated so I was able to use loaddiine. 5.5.1 couldn't at the time. Everything was peachy but I had bad internet one day so when loading loadiine in browser my Wii U crash. Turned it back on. Error code 160 1400. Rip 2016 LOL BE AFRAID. Wii U can brick just from a crash and no mistakes. Like I said before bought a used Wii U for 99 bucks and it's actually brand new as in it was bought wasn't used much and sold. 6 months old. Didn't came with gamepad or cables but I had those already. Wii was stronger than Wii U

MeAndHax

Impolite person with some modding knowledge.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
My first Wii U (which I bought using Youtube money uvu) was bought near launch date. Modding wasn't big back then. I just had Usb Loader on vwii. One game crashed and i thought ''eh it happens.'' But it broke my Wii u. Error code 160 1400. rip 2015 just got nintendont. Got a new Wii U free from a friend and it was outdated so I was able to use loaddiine. 5.5.1 couldn't at the time. Everything was peachy but I had bad internet one day so when loading loadiine in browser my Wii U crash. Turned it back on. Error code 160 1400. Rip 2016 LOL BE AFRAID. Wii U can brick just from a crash and no mistakes. Like I said before bought a used Wii U for 99 bucks and it's actually brand new as in it was bought wasn't used much and sold. 6 months old. Didn't came with gamepad or cables but I had those already. Wii was stronger than Wii U
Never heard of a Wii U that bricked because of Loadiine lol

RareKirby

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never heard of a Wii U that bricked because of Loadiine lol
Why ''lol'' You doubt me? That's why I got haxchi. Don't act like the browser never crashed you. That can brick your Wii U. Crashing = force shut down, that at a constant will break your Wii U. It happened to others. It can even break cause smash mods. If your Wii U crash, LOL BETTER PRAY FOR ALLAH

efen3001

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why ''lol'' You doubt me? That's why I got haxchi. Don't act like the browser never crashed you. That can brick your Wii U. Crashing = force shut down, that at a constant will break your Wii U. It happened to others. It can even break cause smash mods. If your Wii U crash, LOL BETTER PRAY FOR ALLAH
I often force shut down my console because Retroarch DSI errors, could it brick my Wii U?

RareKirby

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I often force shut down my console because Retroarch DSI errors, could it brick my Wii U?
Any force shut down can break Wii U. It's just more common with crashes or stuck on a loading screen. Dunno about emulator errors. Had couple errors myself and my Wii U still alive. I hate force shut down though lol

aljpn91

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
i think you can unbrick with a hardmod, but you need the console's OTP
the process involves, dumping the nand, decrypting, editing the file that's causing the brick, re-encrypting and reflashing

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Nope, it 100% worked. Not that it really matters anymore

holy shit, haxchi worked with non-legit ds titles this whole time and nobody knew lol

Last edited by aljpn91,
Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
Any force shut down can break Wii U. It's just more common with crashes or stuck on a loading screen. Dunno about emulator errors. Had couple errors myself and my Wii U still alive. I hate force shut down though lol

If a force shutdown has a good chance of bricking the console...
I better go buy a lottery ticket.
00:12:56:995: MCP: life time number of fatal errors - 807

Looks like my console is well over 800 forced reboots; and she's still fine. iirc @CreeperMario had a number well over a thousand.

Last edited by QuarkTheAwesome, , Reason: Found out how the syslog works

nexusmtz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

She didn't say 'good chance'. If forced shutdowns had no potential to cause damage, the WiiU wouldn't need an orderly shutdown, and they wouldn't have bothered with the message that comes up after a forced shutdown.

00:03:49:527: MCP: life time number of fatal errors - 798
Looks like my console is pushing 800 forced reboots; and she's still fine. iirc @CreeperMario had a number well over a thousand.

Um... A forced reboot shouldn't increment that number. Those are things like installation failures and management errors (like when you start something that needs sig patches) Did you simply force poweroff 9 times recently to bump up that number to 807, or did you try some installs or intentionally crash something? The reasons for the failures are noted in /storage_slc/logs.

Anyway, losing a console to a storage or system failure during writing is bad luck, but it can happen. Losing two makes you go hmmm... (But you still can't use bad numbers to make a good point.)

Last edited by nexusmtz,

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Petition to send every bricked Wii U to the Trump administration with a note "all in all it's just another brick for the wall"

Reactions: MeAndHax
D

Deleted User

Looks like my console is well over 800 forced reboots; and she's still fine. iirc @CreeperMario had a number well over a thousand.
Combining sysNAND and redNAND, I currently sit at around 1200 crashes in total, since around February 2016. And I've recently been playing with save data (i.e. storing things on NAND) and I've had no issues.

Reactions: VinsCool

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I disagree. With all the shit my WiiU endured, it would have bricked for a very long time already :P

Anyone remember 5.3.2 race attack failed?

Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
Um... A forced reboot shouldn't increment that number. Those are things like installation failures and management errors (like when you start something that needs sig patches) Did you simply force poweroff 9 times recently to bump up that number to 807, or did you try some installs or intentionally crash something? The reasons for the failures are noted in /storage_slc/logs.

Anyway, losing a console to a storage or system failure during writing is bad luck, but it can happen. Losing two makes you go hmmm... (But you still can't use bad numbers to make a good point.)

Oh, they aren't bad numbers. The reason it changed was because I initially went with the highest numbered log in /vol/storage_slc/logs (99.log) but I later realized that the counter wraps around; so I updated it with the actual number from the latest log (8.log). While your point about a forced reboot not incrementing that number is correct; you didn't see the context - I'm a homebrew developer. The vast majority (I'd even wager all) of the fatal errors on my system are a result of homebrew code that's in development or whatever. When this occurs, the error falls through to MCP (thanks OSFatal) and the console locks up, requiring me to force a shutdown by holding the power button. There are few, if any, other situations where a fatal error would be logged - installation issues and sigpatches pop up an error, but the console continues to operate. These, therefore, are not fatal errors and should not contribute to the counter.

This means that the number of fatal errors recorded by MCP is a pretty good indicator of how many times the console has crashed and thus been force restarted. Remeber we're talking fatal errors here - by definition, the console must crash when one occurs.

For a bit of fun, here's a recent crash log off my system - 7.log (8 was a boring FSGetMountSourceFailed, which required a force reboot nonetheless). My current project sets up some code in the 0x60000000 area and you can see that's where the problem lied. A more recognizable log comes in the form of 98.log; where you can see a more standard homebrew exception handler gets in and causes the panic (again, thanks OSFatal). Every time something like that happens a force reboot is needed.

Reactions: Deleted User

naddel81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can back up nands? And recover Wii U? Has that been done before?
unfortunately NO! because the wii has several NANDs (split NAND) and it is not that easy to do.
as far as I know it hasn't been done until now.

I stay away from coldboot-modding. I have no problem in using brazilian method and loadiine for that one game (damn you Wii Sports Club DLC!). How can the Wii U brick if you do not write to it and simply read off your USB device?

tell me how to get that number and I'll have a look. I do not believe forced shut downs can brick your wii U. I mean: unless you do not force shut down during a system update or some write processing!

RareKirby

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
unfortunately NO! because the wii has several NANDs (split NAND) and it is not that easy to do.
as far as I know it hasn't been done until now.

I stay away from coldboot-modding. I have no problem in using brazilian method and loadiine for that one game (damn you Wii Sports Club DLC!). How can the Wii U brick if you do not write to it and simply read off your USB device?

tell me how to get that number and I'll have a look. I do not believe forced shut downs can brick your wii U. I mean: unless you do not force shut down during a system update or some write processing!
I'm not going to argue over this. It literally happened to me twice, and other people. I can only assume force shut down isn't good because of me and other people. I was on other forums about this way back. If you want to keep making fun of me go ahead.

naddel81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am not making fun. I just cannot see why you had TWO(!) Wii U's die on you because of "forced shut down" and other people here have over 800 forced shut downs (man, what do you do to make that number...) and haven't had a single brick.
you do the math.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: https://youtu.be/5OVdoTDuKT0?si=Tm0Acnbg7xXWv6L6