Emulator Red Viper - Virtual Boy emulator

Floogle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
A Virtual Boy emulator for the 3DS, continuing danielps's work on r3Ddragon. It uses a dynamic recompiler with busywait detection and a hardware-accelerated renderer to achieve high performance on the 3DS's limited hardware.

Features​

• All officially licensed games are playable at full speed, even on the original 3DS
  • 3D support
  • Game saves are supported
  • Map either the A/B buttons or the right D-Pad to the face buttons, with the other being on the touch screen
  • Configurable face button mapping
  • Configurable color filter

Download​

To install, scan this QR code using FBI, in the "Remote Install" submenu:
1709149503971.png

Alternatively, a 3DSX or CIA can be downloaded from the GitHub repository, where the source code is also available.

Last edited by Floogle,

Momo333

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Glad to see 3D effect finally getting some love. I wonder if it's possible to make a custom emulator that simulates 3D effect other than Virtual Boy? I'd love to play all my Game Boy games in 3D.

Last edited by Momo333,

Reploid

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Does homebrews run well also ?
It's untested. But you can test and help
Post automatically merged:

Almost missed that, it supposed to be main news it's that awesome. Better late than never, and we finnaly can properly do what 3DS was born to do. Depth effect on VB games is super nice, plus pixels are really sharp on a small screen. Just a perfect way to enjoy N's failed console.

Reactions: MKKhanzo

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
3-D Tetris seems to hang if you leave it running long enough. I've had it happen three times:
  • played the game for about 10-15 minutes and it promptly reset itself before crashing on the title screen
  • booted up the game and it hung upon reaching the title screen
  • booted up the game and left it on the title screen again, this time it crashed during the gameplay demo sequence
I'm running the 3dsx of v0.9.0 with a clean No-Intro ROM.

Reactions: AmandaRose

Feffe

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Glad to see 3D effect finally getting some love. I wonder if it's possible to make a custom emulator that simulates 3D effect other than Virtual Boy? I'd love to play all my Game Boy games in 3D.
Theoretically, it is possible.

Game Boy games have three layers:
  • background (BG);
  • main objects such as characters and enemies (OB1);
  • minor objects, like effects or weapons (OB2).

The Game Boy Color colorized Game Boy games by assigning different palettes to BG, OB1, and OB2 (e.g., in Metroid II the BG is blue, and everything else red-ish).

A theoretical "Game Boy 3D" could "pop" OB1 and OB2 out of the screen

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Theoretically, it is possible.

Game Boy games have three layers:
  • background (BG);
  • main objects such as characters and enemies (OB1);
  • minor objects, like effects or weapons (OB2).

The Game Boy Color colorized Game Boy games by assigning different palettes to BG, OB1, and OB2 (e.g., in Metroid II the BG is blue, and everything else red-ish).

A theoretical "Game Boy 3D" could "pop" OB1 and OB2 out of the screen
It might require some modification of the ROMs to give BG and object layers depth values. I recall this was the approach the SEGA 3D Classics releases took using a specialized Mega Drive/Genesis emulator and specially modified ROMs.

Reactions: emcintosh

JORGETECH

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
This is amazing! The 3DS is the perfect console for emulating Virtual Boy.

Would it be possible to adjust the depth between the layers using the 3D slider? The Virtual Boy has the eye distance adjustment and I was wondering if it was similar to how depth adjustment works in 3DS games.

EDIT: It would be intesresting to map the C-Stick to one of the Dpads in New 3DS, the layout should be a bit better that way.

Reactions: emcintosh

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
3-D Tetris seems to hang if you leave it running long enough. I've had it happen three times:
  • played the game for about 10-15 minutes and it promptly reset itself before crashing on the title screen
  • booted up the game and left it on the title screen again, this time it crashed during the gameplay demo sequence
Yep can confirm sometimes for me it boots to a black screen sometime it plays fine then crashes and resets itself and I have just a new crash where the game has now frozen with lines all down the screen.

20240226_202052.jpg

Reactions: Vague Rant

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is amazing. I've always been curious though, would it be possible for virtual boy roms to be edited with DX like hacks that add full color? Like how many Game Boy roms have been edited to be full color in recent years. Would be so amazing to one day see a full color version of VB Wario Land.

Reactions: Thee_Stranger

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
pretty neat... i had hopelessly updated the VB core in retroarch over the years, always hoping that it would work some day, but it never did well.

i also really like how you're dealing with the second dpad and allowing the button switch and how you can rearrange a/b on touch.

only thing thats missing for me is a savestate or two,

Dakangel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

I can confirm Red Alarm crashes after 2 or 3 minutes playing it on the first stage hanging with a lot of vectors in screen

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto