Homebrew [Release] (A newer) Sonic CD (2011) 3DS Port

Obscure

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having an issue with the new remap as I can't use the dpad at all, even with the right settings. I'm using the rsdk from the latest Google Play version.

OiaoaIsoq

Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Hey this stuff's amazing, but i was wondering: is it compatible with mods at all?
edit: my bad i just read its not. just got it on my 2ds tho, it runs so well and for someone whos beat sonic cd on picodrive on that same o2ds with an amount of frameskip that hurt like hell, i really really appreciate this. Only issue is i cant access root on my phone, even though i tried to use an app for it so i cant get the proper data srdk. So idk what i can do to play tidal tempest now, it was my favorite level

Last edited by OiaoaIsoq,

OiaoaIsoq

Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
I recently pushed a new commit that re-enables mod support actually, but just haven't released a minor update with it yet. Feel free to compile it manually for the time being.

However, it also came to my attention while testing that the game completely breaks when trying to use the decompiled scripts folder (TxtScripts = true), even when using the non-mobile RSDK, which has me completely stumped so far. No clue why it would do it as I never messed about with or removed mod and script related code. If you try it, you'll see what I mean; can't even get past the title screen with it enabled.

So as far as mods go, only mods that don't touch the scripts are supported. I tried the smooth rotations mod and that
Wheres that commit, and how should we be able to compile it manually? I know how to do the pc compilation but not this one
Could you link us a quick guide if there is one
Thanks in advance
Edit: forget all this, i just checked your repo and found instructions. Now all i should need to do is just build manually and itll have all the features until the latest comitt, right?
last edit: i gave up trying to build the compilation, there seems to be a problem when i get to the make command with some libtinyxml2 stuff, which i was able to solve but then came up with another error. Guess ill just be patient till next release or till someone who knows how to do this can make a tutorial. If you could id really appreciate it, i dont wanna pressure anyone for this so whatever time it takes

Last edited by OiaoaIsoq,

Voxel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wheres that commit, and how should we be able to compile it manually? I know how to do the pc compilation but not this one
Could you link us a quick guide if there is one
Thanks in advance
Edit: forget all this, i just checked your repo and found instructions. Now all i should need to do is just build manually and itll have all the features until the latest comitt, right?
last edit: i gave up trying to build the compilation, there seems to be a problem when i get to the make command with some libtinyxml2 stuff, which i was able to solve but then came up with another error. Guess ill just be patient till next release or till someone who knows how to do this can make a tutorial. If you could id really appreciate it, i dont wanna pressure anyone for this so whatever time it takes
Sorry for the late reply. Anything that doesn't mod the game's scripts at all (animation mods, sprite mods, etc.) should work fine with those additional commits compiled in. However anything that does mod scripts will cause the game to crash/black screen. I've tested the version of smooth rotations mod that doesn't touch scripts, and it works great.
It's my understanding that you need to grab the original decompiled scripts from a separate repo and place them under the working directory (where data.rsdk resides), but regardless of this, any script mods will still fail to run (and also even when you don't use any mods at all...). I couldn't figure out why this is the case exactly. I was under the impression that script mods work under the mobile RSDK, from what I remember when trying to figure out the problem earlier in the year. Either I've inadvertently broken the code somewhere, or there's some sort of incompatibility in external library code between the 3DS and other platforms tripping up the script loading (somewhat doubt it).

OiaoaIsoq

Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Sorry for the late reply. Anything that doesn't mod the game's scripts at all (animation mods, sprite mods, etc.) should work fine with those additional commits compiled in. However anything that does mod scripts will cause the game to crash/black screen. I've tested the version of smooth rotations mod that doesn't touch scripts, and it works great.
It's my understanding that you need to grab the original decompiled scripts from a separate repo and place them under the working directory (where data.rsdk resides), but regardless of this, any script mods will still fail to run (and also even when you don't use any mods at all...). I couldn't figure out why this is the case exactly. I was under the impression that script mods work under the mobile RSDK, from what I remember when trying to figure out the problem earlier in the year. Either I've inadvertently broken the code somewhere, or there's some sort of incompatibility in external library code between the 3DS and other platforms tripping up the script loading (somewhat doubt it).
Hey man, thanks a lot for the clarifications. I know not all mods are compatible, but i still wanna try some. Thing is i haven't really been able to try the compilation with the latest commits, because the thing i was having trouble with was the actual building process. You explained on the github and it was working fine, I had installed the required programs and everything but I seem to be missing some library called libtinyxml2, because errors related to it keep popping up whenever i get to the point of doing the make command on the RSDKv3.3ds folder, and I've been looking everywhere but i have no idea how to fix it. I know i might be too impatient for wanting the mod support already instead of waiting for your next official release, but i was still curious about how i should be able to fix this. I dont know if youd be willing to do a tutorial on how to properly set all this up, and regardless of your answer im still thankful for the port itself, i dont mind waiting for the next release and i fully encourage you to work on it

GamerestBoi

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I setup my controls (with help of those bitmarks you gave the link to) and if you know you know, I ruined my game. I need serious help. Can you help me bring those controls to their default settings, and then let me use the D-Pad as the directional keys? Thanks!

EDIT: Sorry, I have a serious BRAIN problem but it somehow fixed itself? 😐

YET ANOTHER EDIT: Now all my selection buttons (A, B, START) go to the Exit Game button. Why and how can I fix that?

Last edited by GamerestBoi,

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Would it be possible to use the FMVs from the old Sega CD version for this? Or coding that would be too complicated?

Voxel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Would it be possible to use the FMVs from the old Sega CD version for this? Or coding that would be too complicated?
I'm glad you brought up FMVs actually, because since I released this port, the libctru maintainers seem to have added support for the pthreads API, which is the missing puzzle piece for theora-play (video playback) to work. I did initially try to use libctru's existing threads API, but I just couldn't get it to work back then since I'm terrible at working with threads lol. So I may try to give this new pthreads stuff a go and see if I'll have better luck this time.

Last edited by Voxel,
Reactions: raxadian

ber71

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Why do you need Citra? If you are using Windows or Linux just use the PC port. If you are using Android just buy the game.

If you already have and emulator installed, it can serve as a sandbox, so you avoid throwing unreliable shit at your PC.

legaiaflame

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do you need Citra? If you are using Windows or Linux just use the PC port. If you are using Android just buy the game.

Because I want to play the game in 3D on PC with my Oculus VR headset with the Citra emulator split screen merged using virtual desktop, making it 3D. Is it possible?

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Why do people even make this kind of reply?
"You have a question? Too bad! Your question is stupid!"

Citra was discontinued so use it at your own risk.

If you already have and emulator installed, it can serve as a sandbox, so you avoid throwing unreliable shit at your PC.

You can also sandbox Apps.

Because I want to play the game in 3D on PC with my Oculus VR headset with the Citra emulator split screen merged using virtual desktop, making it 3D. Is it possible?

First Citra was discontinued, second you should just have asked somewhere else if Citra can play 3D in the Oculus VR headset.

legaiaflame

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Citra was discontinued so use it at your own risk.

You can also sandbox Apps.

First Citra was discontinued, second you should just have asked somewhere else if Citra can play 3D in the Oculus VR headset.

Citra being discontinued has no bearing on my question. And Citra 'can' play any 3DS game in 3D using your Oculus or any VR headset, when connected to your PC. All you need to do is connect the VR headset to your PC, start Virtual Desktop, start the emulator in split screen, and merge the screens together with Virtual Desktop. It's very simple. What does the emulator being discontinued have to do with anything?

I'm more so asking if the Sonic CD .cia, could be converted to work with the emulator, that's all. I've tried decrypting the .cia file for use with CItra, but when you load it up in the emulator it says it's missing the Data.rsdk file. I have the Data.rsdk file in the same folder but Citra won't recognize it regardless. Unless there is a way to merge the two files?

Last edited by legaiaflame,

Voxel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Citra being discontinued has no bearing on my question. And Citra 'can' play any 3DS game in 3D using your Oculus or any VR headset, when connected to your PC. All you need to do is connect the VR headset to your PC, start Virtual Desktop, start the emulator in split screen, and merge the screens together with Virtual Desktop. It's very simple. What does the emulator being discontinued have to do with anything?

I'm more so asking if the Sonic CD .cia, could be converted to work with the emulator, that's all. I've tried decrypting the .cia file for use with CItra, but when you load it up in the emulator it says it's missing the Data.rsdk file. I have the Data.rsdk file in the same folder but Citra won't recognize it regardless. Unless there is a way to merge the two files?
Sorry about that guy. Lately, this subforum has been crawling with lazy/snark replies to people with questions, it's kinda sad.

Anyway, yeah this port works great in Citra. I actually used to use it from time to time with my old 3D monitor and apart from a couple of special stage backgrounds being a bit buggy in 3D, it looks and plays really good otherwise. You should be able to just put dspfirm.cdc into the Citra user folder at /sdmc/3ds/ and then also create the "SonicCD" folder (no spaces) in /sdmc/3ds/ with the Data.rsdk inside of it. Once that's done, both 3DSX and CIA versions should work as intended. With the CIA version, are you using File -> Install CIA?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto